Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:04:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "X" by Monolith (now named Xenoblade Chronicles X)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: "X" by Monolith (now named Xenoblade Chronicles X)  (Read 10772 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2014, 11:10:12 PM »

Sorry to those who want it, but this guy wins in the most angriest way possible... And for making me laugh.

Well, I think the big difference between Evangelion and Xenosaga, is that EVA as a series is aware of what it is and it handles most of its narrative in a serviceable and interesting manner for its audience. Xeno on the other hand come off as a ball of decent concepts that couldn't be realized at their full potential.

That said, Xenogears was cool for what it was in its time.

Yeah, no.

EVA had even less of a clue as to what it was going for than Gears at its worst. For all the goofy and ridiculous ways Gears employed its religious symbolism, there was at least a vague understanding of the philosophy behind it, all EVA saw in its symbolism was the rule of cool. Also both ended with sequences of MCs sitting in a chair in a otherwise dark room, discussing things that may or may not have happened off screen. Either way though, Gears was more of a massive series of Giant Robot homages than anything else, whereas EVA was more of a subversion of the tropes of the genre.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »

Sorry to those who want it, but this guy wins in the most angriest way possible... And for making me laugh.

Well, I think the big difference between Evangelion and Xenosaga, is that EVA as a series is aware of what it is and it handles most of its narrative in a serviceable and interesting manner for its audience. Xeno on the other hand come off as a ball of decent concepts that couldn't be realized at their full potential.

That said, Xenogears was cool for what it was in its time.

Yeah, no.

EVA had even less of a clue as to what it was going for than Gears at its worst. For all the goofy and ridiculous ways Gears employed its religious symbolism, there was at least a vague understanding of the philosophy behind it, all EVA saw in its symbolism was the rule of cool. Also both ended with sequences of MCs sitting in a chair in a otherwise dark room, discussing things that may or may not have happened off screen. Either way though, Gears was more of a massive series of Giant Robot homages than anything else, whereas EVA was more of a subversion of the tropes of the genre.

I usually give EVA a 'pass' because it seems to use religious-what-nots in namesake only.  The series feels way more in tune with psychological issues than it ever did religious ones (and even when it employed the latter; most of it was magical pseudo-science-infused hogwash).

...Ah fuck it, the series has some good action and is great with tense moments and awesome scenarios.  Beyond that... hogwash (though I can't wait for the final movie if not just so it all ENDS somehow).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2014, 12:35:33 AM »

^lol

I actually expected these kinds of reactions since I've seen them more than once before when people talk about EVA and Xeno. I see things haven't changed all that much.

Anyways.

It has been a long time, but I remember the Xenosaga games being censored. I wonder if these remasters happen they do the extra work necessary for the Western release to have the uncensored versions of each game along with any other significant change for any of the games. Though... in general, I doubt Xenosaga is that much of a big series to put the time and effort that's needed to release these games again nowadays.

I mean right now, Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts remasters are being done mainly (but not exclusively) because there's a sizable audience that make the investment worthwhile for the publisher and anyone else involved in the process. Does Xenosaga has that going on?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »

^lol

I actually expected these kinds of reactions since I've seen them more than once before when people talk about EVA and Xeno. I see things haven't changed all that much.

You gotta stop being this vague or risk being seen as pompous.

I mean right now, Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts remasters are being done mainly (but not exclusively) because there's a sizable audience that make the investment worthwhile for the publisher and anyone else involved in the process. Does Xenosaga [have] that going on?

I don't think so if the [so far] relatively low numbers for #OperationKosMos say anything about it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:11 AM »

The main difference between Eva and XG is that in Eva, the oedipal stuff is just sort of implied, whereas in XG the entirety of human history is just a lot of Fei banging his mom.

I keep forgetting that Xenoblade was still technically a giant robot game.

Fuck what if there were people living on the robots in XG, too. That is some dang ol' Horton Hears a Who shit right there I tell you hwat.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2014, 02:23:35 AM »

You gotta stop being this vague or risk being seen as pompous.

I don't know where you got now that I was being vague.

I don't think so if the [so far] relatively low numbers for #OperationKosMos say anything about it.

I had no idea about this recently. I've been followng other things (like Tekken 7 and livestreams of Smash 4 for example).

Thanks for the heads up.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »

I, for one, wouldn't complain about a Saga HD collection.  I tend to prefer TT's storytelling style in Gears and Saga (well, to be fair, only 1 was entirely TT's creation) over Blade.  Blade's characters also suffered due to lack of Soraya Saga.

I refuse to ever touch 2 again under any circumstance, though I'd replay the fuck out of 1 and 3.

The first disc isn't actually that bad. It's just the second disc where it starts to drag.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: