Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:49:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327990 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 343818 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1200 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:49 AM »

Not entirely crazy about the new theme, but that new opening animation is awesome.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1201 on: October 29, 2010, 03:03:04 AM »

I'm really interested in the arranged soundtrack. A sample would be nice.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1202 on: October 29, 2010, 03:03:39 AM »

As with the P1 remake, the original opening was better.  IS for Playstation had perhaps my all time favorite game opening (especially the music) and this new one was ehh in comparison.  The original EP had a kickass opening too.

Going to have to disagree. There's lots of symbolism in this opening, especially as it shows each character individually. I love the bright colors and the female vocals towards the end. I will agree that EP had an awesome opening, though. Maybe it's just the nostalgia you attached to the original games?
I think so too. Anyway let's compare:

Original Persona opening

Persona Re-release opening 

Original Persona 2 Innocent Sin opening

Persona 2 Innocent Sin Re-release opening

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1203 on: October 29, 2010, 03:05:35 AM »

it has a spiffy new logo
and that interface makes me think of persona psp

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1204 on: October 29, 2010, 03:42:37 AM »

As with the P1 remake, the original opening was better.  IS for Playstation had perhaps my all time favorite game opening (especially the music) and this new one was ehh in comparison.  The original EP had a kickass opening too.

Going to have to disagree. There's lots of symbolism in this opening, especially as it shows each character individually. I love the bright colors and the female vocals towards the end. I will agree that EP had an awesome opening, though. Maybe it's just the nostalgia you attached to the original games?
I think so too. Anyway let's compare:

Original Persona opening

Persona Re-release opening  

Original Persona 2 Innocent Sin opening

Persona 2 Innocent Sin Re-release opening

I like the poem at the beginning of the original Persona's original theme (first time I had seen it) but then there's nothing else that goes on, just a slow piano tune and some scenery that has little relevence until the part at the very end. The re-release at least gave it a good song, had more going on, and offered bits from the story to keep things interesting yet followable. It still could've been better, but at least it's good enough.

Persona 2's original intro: Again, I liked the poem, and at least with this one I understood what it had to do with the rest of the story. The piano tune was also nice since it went with the poem and it lead into the second song very well, and of course, I liked both songs. When things got more heavy after the poem, at least most of it was followable and it showed scenes that would become relevent to the plot later on. You know, it just made sense.
The re-release, on the otherhand, was a clusterfuck: I couldn't keep up with the what they were showing, none of it made any sense except for when they went through a runthrough of everyone's personas, nor do I have any desire to run through it again and again until it does make sense, and the music just didn't seem to meld with the action very well.

Long story Short: I'm switching to the original intro if I can.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:44:41 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1205 on: October 29, 2010, 04:23:50 AM »

Yeah, I definitely prefer the original music for P2.

It's a really great new visual though.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1206 on: October 29, 2010, 08:02:14 AM »

I have nothing against the new IS opening, personally.  Maybe it's because I never did get around to playing much of IS compared to EP, but the original opening never stuck with me.  :/

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1207 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »

I think the minor improvements they are making to the PSP version will definitely make it worth it in the end. As far as the opening is concerned I think the original version captures the ambiance of Persona a lot better then the new one.

Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1208 on: October 31, 2010, 04:12:33 AM »

Ok, I know you guys are gonna rip my head off for this, but I haven't played a single SMT game yet.  I've been playing RPGs for at least 20 yrs now (I'm 27) and I haven't even gotten around to playing one of the most well received series.  I live in Arkansas and the only SMT game I've ever seen in GameStop was Persona 3 and it was going for $70 (I was a broke college student then).  I've seen several on Amazon, but I don't know where to start.

Anyway, which game in the SMT series should I get my hands on first?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1209 on: October 31, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »

Ok, I know you guys are gonna rip my head off for this, but I haven't played a single SMT game yet.  I've been playing RPGs for at least 20 yrs now (I'm 27) and I haven't even gotten around to playing one of the most well received series.  I live in Arkansas and the only SMT game I've ever seen in GameStop was Persona 3 and it was going for $70 (I was a broke college student then).  I've seen several on Amazon, but I don't know where to start.

I find it's usually best to start with a Main Series game, such as Nocturne or Strange Journey. I know a lot of people got into the series with Persona 3, but it's so different from the rest of the series with a completely different focus, I just don't see how they could've other than it got them familiar with the brand.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1210 on: October 31, 2010, 05:26:08 AM »

Honestly it really doesn't matter since they are all great. But I suppose I'd recommend Persona 3 FES. It's hard but not too hard.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1211 on: October 31, 2010, 05:45:56 AM »

Nocturne, because it's the 3rd entry in the main series. All of 'em SMT games are good, but I agree with Mickey. You should start with a main entry.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1212 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:27 AM »

Nocturne, because it's the 3rd entry in the main series. All of 'em SMT games are good, but I agree with Mickey. You should start with a main entry.
Well I mean that's a fine choice too. I really doesn't matter. The only reason I'm hesitant to recommend Nocturne is because it can be Nintendo Hard at various points. But then again they all can. But Nocturne gave me the most trouble.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1213 on: October 31, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »

Well I mean that's a fine choice too. I really doesn't matter. The only reason I'm hesitant to recommend Nocturne is because it can be Nintendo Hard at various points. But then again they all can. But Nocturne gave me the most trouble.

He needs to learn how awesome MegaTen is... the hard way.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1214 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:25 AM »

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thought Nocturne was too easy on normal mode.  I didn't even grind.

Now Hard mode can be ridiculous.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: