Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:38:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330191 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 258 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 352668 times)
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2055 on: April 25, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »

Excellent news. There's a fan translation in the works for the PSone version, but this is even better.

ADMIN EDIT: Fan translation link snipped.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:56:10 AM by Eusis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »

Yeah, I have to admit, this port/remake nonsense is getting a bit old. I'm more interested in new SMT games.  The last was, ah, Devil Survivor 2, which came out in Japan in mid-2011.  So I'd expect an announcement soon-ish of something, probably for a release next year.  Admittedly, I'd rather have a new mainline game than Persona 5, though.

If I were Japanese and followed the series to this point I'd probably be getting pretty frustrated, but given at least half of these ports are of games we never saw before or have become very rare I don't really mind at all. Though it's a bit better if you treat Catherine as an honorary MegaTen anyway.

Excellent news. There's a fan translation in the works for the PSone version, but this is even better.

Linking fan translations isn't allowed here regardless of the stances elsewhere, but personally I think it is in bad taste to link to one for a game that JUST got announced for localization, even if it's not complete like the P2:IS translation or some Ys ones.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:46:08 AM by Eusis » Logged
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2057 on: April 25, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »

Consider that P5's going to be an HD game on a  brand new engine.

That's gonna be costly. If they need to milk their existing or classics to fund it, I'm okay with that.

Not like the classics are bad.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2058 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »

A bunch of the PS2 SMT games are available again on Amazon for $20, Nocturne included: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2012/1392.html

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2059 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »

Yeah, I have to admit, this port/remake nonsense is getting a bit old. I'm more interested in new SMT games.

So am I, but since I haven't played Soul Hackers before, it may as well be counted as a new game. It's the constant porting of the Persona games that I find tiring.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 25, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »

Yeah, I have to admit, this port/remake nonsense is getting a bit old. I'm more interested in new SMT games.

So am I, but since I haven't played Soul Hackers before, it may as well be counted as a new game. It's the constant porting of the Persona games that I find tiring.
Yet even then P1 and P2:EP both became very rare, and both needed fresh translations for different reasons (P1 because of the hackjob the original was, P2:EP for consistency with fixing said hackjob). Only P3 and P4 are games that don't really need it that much, and if they provide a bit of extra money to fund stuff like Catherine then great.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2061 on: April 25, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »

So having played Soul Hackers, I really hope they use the 3DS to push SH's already impressive 3d effects to the limit.

It had a lot of neat effects that no other SMT has replicated, like spell animations that come right at the player as overlay FMV. Really has to be seen to be experienced.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2062 on: April 25, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »

So having played Soul Hackers, I really hope they use the 3DS to push SH's already impressive 3d effects to the limit.

It had a lot of neat effects that no other SMT has replicated, like spell animations that come right at the player as overlay FMV. Really has to be seen to be experienced.

Spell animations in 3D?

ADMIN EDIT: This is way too big of a picture to inline.

I want a missile from a Hippo Launcher to come right at me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:16:54 PM by Eusis » Logged

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2063 on: April 25, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

I'm somewhat excited for this. Even if the gameplay itself is a little dated, at least from what I can tell from the beginning of the fan translation I've watched on youtube, the story seem to be pretty interesting, not to mention that darker tone with that possible philosophical innuendos atlus love to throw at us.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2064 on: April 26, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »

Still waiting for the announcement of a new HD title.

Meanwhile, listening to this awesomeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov62FfHk9c0

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2065 on: April 26, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »

I'm somewhat excited for this. Even if the gameplay itself is a little dated, at least from what I can tell from the beginning of the fan translation I've watched on youtube, the story seem to be pretty interesting, not to mention that darker tone with that possible philosophical innuendos atlus love to throw at us.

It's a very dark game. A company called Paradigm X offers free internet at wifi terminals across the city(prophetic much?), but they actually traffic in human souls. A group called the Spookies, a ragtag hacker group, are the only ones who can stop them, and the devil summoner organization that operates with them.

It's as awesome as it sounds. Cyberpunkian bliss. Also rival summoner warfare, something I wish Persona had more of. The rival summoners in Soul Hackers pose a genuine threat.

Rival Persona users are often a joke.

beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2066 on: April 26, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »

A bunch of the PS2 SMT games are available again on Amazon for $20, Nocturne included: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2012/1392.html

thanks for posting that i've been trying to get a cheap copy of dds2 for a minute.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2067 on: April 26, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »

It's a very dark game. A company called Paradigm X offers free internet at wifi terminals across the city(prophetic much?), but they actually traffic in human souls. A group called the Spookies, a ragtag hacker group, are the only ones who can stop them, and the devil summoner organization that operates with them.

Human soul trafficking? Nice. So that's what we have to look forward to in the future :P I love a good cyberpunk story. I've been wanting to play this game every since I first found out about it. I have very high hopes that Atlus USA will localize this here.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2068 on: April 26, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »

I honestly think all these remakes are there for the western audience discovering SMT from Persona 3 onward, and the series's  appeal in Japan going mainstream post P3 also.

You got a complete game, you got a new platform, why not? 

LEt them take their time with p5, this generation of development is expensive, better make a good game than just any game.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 26, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »

I honestly think all these remakes are there for the western audience discovering SMT from Persona 3 onward, and the series's  appeal in Japan going mainstream post P3 also.

I'd say Nocturne onwards, but that's perhaps slightly pedantic, the PS2 generation REALLY made people sit up and pay attention to the series.

Though it helps that even for those that followed it from Persona 1 (or god forbid Jack Bros) were either getting games that didn't come out before or were much needed re-translations.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: