Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 06:58:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340919 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 380462 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: January 17, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »

Nintendo Press Release for first quarter releases also says Soul Hackers is due April 16th.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2566 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »

Great, now I just hope Tales of Xillia comes out in March or May instead of April. That way I don't have to worry about picking between the two.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2567 on: January 19, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »

I hope Atlus market Soul Hackers like they've been marketing EOIV.

"Meet Spooky!" "Meet Nemissa!" "Meet... Carol J?"

I'd be okay with this.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: January 19, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure the nature of EOIV means these kinds of trailers work better for it. For Soul Hackers it'd probably need fewer gameplay ones, and some story ones to get people excited for the world it has, especially to get in cyberpunk fans.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2569 on: January 19, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »

True. In all seriousness, I would do trailers on:

*The Gouma-den/Victor/Mary
*The Spookies/Amami City
*The Phantom Society/Algon Soft
*Gameplay

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2570 on: January 21, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »

Soul Hackers is 99.9% chance of day one purchase for me regardless, but what exactly is the battle system like?  I'm not a fan of first person dungeon crawlers but the story sounds too interesting to ignore.  Hopefully the gameplay is passable.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2571 on: January 21, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »

It's old-school Shin Megami Tensei, so I would say the gameplay is most similar to early Shin Megami Tensei games, maybe Strange Journey, and to a lesser extent the first Persona game.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2572 on: January 21, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »

The main character has a sword and a gun, and can summon. Nemissa is your magic user, who also gets weapons. The rest is handled by demons.

The story is fantastic, and the gameplay is quite fun too. None of the dungeons are quite THAT brutal, aside from two, and they still don't rival SJ's insanity. (The second to last dungeon and the art museum.)

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2573 on: January 21, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »

Brothers and sisters, I am a recent SMT / Persona fan.  I tried playing Revelations: Persona years ago and hated it.  Then 10+ years pass, and last year I finally give Persona 3 a shot and loved it (played the FES version).  Then I tried out SMT Devil Survivor and thought it was pretty good.  A few days ago I finished Persona 4 (PS2 version) and loved it.  So I want more, but I'm not sure where to begin....

I have access to discs/UMDs of Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, and Devil Survivor II.  I don't own any of them, but borrowing one is just a phone call away.  I think I could probably manage to download a translated ROM of Shin Megami Tensei I or II for the SNES if those are good starting points.  Basically I want more SMT and I'm not sure what's good and what isn't.  If you have suggestions, whether it's one of those six games or not, I'm all ears. 

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2574 on: January 21, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »

Brothers and sisters, I am a recent SMT / Persona fan.  I tried playing Revelations: Persona years ago and hated it.  Then 10+ years pass, and last year I finally give Persona 3 a shot and loved it (played the FES version).  Then I tried out SMT Devil Survivor and thought it was pretty good.  A few days ago I finished Persona 4 (PS2 version) and loved it.  So I want more, but I'm not sure where to begin....

I have access to discs/UMDs of Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, and Devil Survivor II.  I don't own any of them, but borrowing one is just a phone call away.  I think I could probably manage to download a translated ROM of Shin Megami Tensei I or II for the SNES if those are good starting points.  Basically I want more SMT and I'm not sure what's good and what isn't.  If you have suggestions, whether it's one of those six games or not, I'm all ears. 

I love all those games, but the absolute best SMT experience still is and always will be Nocturne. Play SMT1&2 if you're feeling ultra masochistic, because they are brutal and bare in terms of presentation(but have great stories).

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2575 on: January 22, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »

IS and EP are my two favorite Playstation RPGs.  My stupidly long PhD-thesis length reviews are testament to that. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2576 on: January 22, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »

Thanks for the recs.  I'll talk to a few of my other friends and try and decide between Nocturne and Innocent Sin. 

And I know of those SMT games' reputation, but... how bad is it?  I've beaten all of the Dragon Quest main-series games except VII and I've suffered through hardcore SNES **** like 7th Saga and Arcana.  Are the two SMT SNES games that rough?

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2577 on: January 22, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »

The SNES SMTs are easy to break wide open. Guns + charm bullets = auto win.They just have ridiculous encounter rates and brutal dungeons.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2578 on: January 23, 2013, 12:34:10 AM »

The SNES SMTs are easy to break wide open. Guns + charm bullets = auto win.They just have ridiculous encounter rates and brutal dungeons.

And at least the first one can be cheesed by anything that can paralyze.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2579 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »

Why has no one recommended Digital Devil Saga yet?

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: