Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 11:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319313 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 323026 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3135 on: May 18, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

Wait, what? His character designs are awesome and add to the appeal.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.  The art is fine, it's when it's turned into a 3D model that it becomes unappealing to me.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3136 on: May 18, 2013, 03:46:33 PM »

I may be of the unpopular opinion here, but while like Kaneko's artwork, I'm of mind that it needs to stay exactly that: artwork.  Even in PS2 titles characters some of the characters' face models were starting to look creepy/strange (and not in a good way to fit the games and their themes, especially in the Raidou games).  I imagine a more detailed character model for current-gen or next-gen would be even worse.  I think the new artwork strikes a good balance.

That said. . .I can't see Devil Survivor's character designs working particularly well in 3D, either.

Wait, what? His character designs are awesome and add to the appeal.

I've always loved his knack for designing outfits. His female characters usually dress like normal females would.

Wait? Are we talking about the Devil Survivor character designer guy or Kaneko? Because the former's attempts at designing female characters have, more than occasionally, been terrible.

Also, did Kaneko do the art for that one Maken X manga because I remember that turning into a visual clusterfuck by the end (although that probably had more to do with the manga becoming a literal clusterfuck about half way through)?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3137 on: May 18, 2013, 06:45:38 PM »

I can't say Kaneko has a talent for designing things women would wear at all. Jinana in Digital Devil Saga for an example.

Of course her mark was on her butt cheek so..

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3138 on: May 18, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »

Boob hearts.

That is all.

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3139 on: May 18, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »

That's awesome, isn't it?
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3140 on: May 18, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »

I can't say Kaneko has a talent for designing things women would wear at all. Jinana in Digital Devil Saga for an example.

Of course her mark was on her butt cheek so..

Because dudes totally wear the jumpsuits Serph and co were sporting ;)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3141 on: May 18, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »

That's not really what I was getting at. You can have stylized clothing in a game, but it should be practical for what the situation is. Fighting endlessly on a barren wasteland, probably going to need some form of protection. If it's jumpsuit, so be it.

A thong and bra with an open jacket isn't fit for purpose. It's not even a matter of being covered up, I wonder if perhaps Argilla would benefit (freedom of movement) from the jumpsuits the men wear.

Seriously, I'm cool with the jumpsuits. Zelenin wears one in Strange Journey, she wasn't wearing a thong or wearing an ankle-length skirt attached to her Demonica. So clearly I don't think its all bad, I just don't see anything that makes Kaneko an artist that we could say "his women wear clothes real women would wear" about.

Chiaki in Nocturne doesn't wear anything that says "this is ridiculous anime clothing", but at the same time I can't say I've seen any girls wear that get up. A blue denim long-sleeved dress thing, with front zip from breast to neck with a clasp collar with frill trim.

I'll say it again, I don't mind this. I LIKE the designs, I just don't think it's what women would wear.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3142 on: May 18, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »

Well, specifically I mean Yuko Takao's design. Probably the classiest female character design ever.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3143 on: May 18, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »

I'll say it again, I don't mind this. I LIKE the designs, I just don't think it's what women would wear.

Kaneko's art is as good as it is because his designs have details that complement the game itself, Soejima goes for something more stylish while Doi makes "funcional" designs that are well structured (he even did a great job revamping the old art of Kaneko for P2 and Soul Hackers).

Edit: SaGa, Final Fantasy and Tales artists create Shin Megami Tensei IV artwork -- Source: Siliconera
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:57:06 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3144 on: May 19, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »

Additionally, this is such a practical outfit. :v

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3145 on: May 19, 2013, 01:04:32 AM »

That's not really what I was getting at. You can have stylized clothing in a game, but it should be practical for what the situation is. Fighting endlessly on a barren wasteland, probably going to need some form of protection. If it's jumpsuit, so be it.

A thong and bra with an open jacket isn't fit for purpose. It's not even a matter of being covered up, I wonder if perhaps Argilla would benefit (freedom of movement) from the jumpsuits the men wear.

Seriously, I'm cool with the jumpsuits. Zelenin wears one in Strange Journey, she wasn't wearing a thong or wearing an ankle-length skirt attached to her Demonica. So clearly I don't think its all bad, I just don't see anything that makes Kaneko an artist that we could say "his women wear clothes real women would wear" about.

Chiaki in Nocturne doesn't wear anything that says "this is ridiculous anime clothing", but at the same time I can't say I've seen any girls wear that get up. A blue denim long-sleeved dress thing, with front zip from breast to neck with a clasp collar with frill trim.

To be fair, his men's clothes are weird too. Like, Isamu's hat. Or the main character having a hoodie and pedal pushers.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3146 on: May 19, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »

Which is fine, as I said I'm cool with it being stylized.

Yuko Takao's design is classy.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3147 on: May 19, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »

Was gorgeous art, though. I miss Soejima's sketch-like designs.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3148 on: May 19, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »

Which is fine, as I said I'm cool with it being stylized.

Yuko Takao's design is classy.

Brrr...the Aradia-bit freaked the heck out of me at first.
I gotta find this game...and i'd kill to get my hand on some of the smt artbooks.

Was gorgeous art, though. I miss Soejima's sketch-like designs.

Likewise.  He's good with a more "painterly" style, a lot of his Persona art is like anime pop art.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3149 on: May 19, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »

Same, haha. A lot of the way things moved in Nocturne freaked me out to be honest, the jittering of the manakins, Yuko-Aradia, etc.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: