Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334770 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 366438 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3750 on: May 03, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »

So many "WTF" moments as I watched that stream. I can't think of a reason behind any of it. P4G anime? No thanks. I was really hoping for a P5 trailer.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3751 on: May 04, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »

I've FINALLY, after owning literally every version of the game, sat down to truly beat P3. Just got to

Code:
the final block of Tartarus. oh my god the music

it seriously blows me mind and defies all statistical probability that this series can be so consistently fantastic.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3752 on: May 05, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »

Is a Persona 4 Golden anime necessary? Of COURSE it's not. Am I still going to watch it? Of COURSE I am. Also, considering the time that the livestream came on in Japan, I am willing to bet that those dudes were quite inebriated and/or pretty exhausted.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3753 on: May 05, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »

Is a Persona 4 Golden anime necessary? Of COURSE it's not. Am I still going to watch it? Of COURSE I am. Also, considering the time that the livestream came on in Japan, I am willing to bet that those dudes were quite inebriated and/or pretty exhausted.

I can honestly say, even as a huge persona fan, I WILL NOT be watching P4 Golden The Anime. Since Persona 4 came out, I played P4, watched the anime, played enough P4 arena to get sufficiently sick of it, played P3, watched Trinity Souls, played P2 IS, played P2 EP, and have since moved into the SMT world I missed out on in past years... At this point I can't really say much of anything will peak my interest until there is some more P5 news. I feel like my apatite for existing persona material is beyond satiated at present.

I will say however, that a desire to finally get to Digital Devil Saga has been growing within me as of late. That is really the only leg of the SMT franchise left that I have zero experience with.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3754 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »

I can honestly say, even as a huge persona fan, I WILL NOT be watching P4 Golden The Anime. Since Persona 4 came out, I played P4, watched the anime, played enough P4 arena to get sufficiently sick of it, played P3, watched Trinity Souls, played P2 IS, played P2 EP, and have since moved into the SMT world I missed out on in past years... At this point I can't really say much of anything will peak my interest until there is some more P5 news. I feel like my apatite for existing persona material is beyond satiated at present.

I will say however, that a desire to finally get to Digital Devil Saga has been growing within me as of late. That is really the only leg of the SMT franchise left that I have zero experience with.

Do it! DDS is excellent. It takes the gameplay of Nocturne, refines it a bit and is much more story focused.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3755 on: May 05, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »

agreed, while Nocturne is my first love DDS is my mistress.

Everything's Eventual
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3756 on: May 06, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »

Nocturne has reached PSN today, guys.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/06/shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-now-ps2-classic-playstation-3/

"Oh, a hunter..."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3757 on: May 06, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »

One step closer to my dream of portable DDS2.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3758 on: May 06, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3759 on: May 06, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »

Do it! DDS is excellent. It takes the gameplay of Nocturne, refines it a bit and is much more story focused.

agreed, while Nocturne is my first love DDS is my mistress.

More then likely I will be getting to it sooner rather than later. In terms of my PS2 backlog DDS and the Shadow Hearts series are the final frontiers if you will. My current play-throughs should carry me well into next month but I've been dying to get something a wee bit darker than I've been recently indulging and from what I can tell DDS or Shadow Hearts fits the bill nicely. I've purposely kept myself pretty ignorant to both so I really don't know what to expect from either.

I know this is the SMT thread, but in terms of plot and gameplay which is more of an oddball DDS or SH? I'm not only in the mood to have something more mature on the horizon but a bit more unconventional as well.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3760 on: May 06, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »

Shadow Hearts starts off almost dead serious and then it starts going insane when the possibly gay vampire is introduced in the second game (Shadow Hearts Covenant) and the third game is completely bonkers, while not getting rid of the dark elements. For example, two of the characters in Shadow Hearts: From the New World are a Brazilian ninja trained in a secret Japanese village that's inexplicably in the Amazon rainforest, and a vampire that feeds on fat.
DDS and Nocturne, on the other hand, are much more serious. With the exception of Cielo's out of place accent in DDS.

DDS and Nocturne have the Press Turn battle systems where you get extra moves for hitting weaknesses and passing turns. Persona 3 and 4 use a stripped down version of it. Shadow Hearts has the Judgement Ring where you need to hit certain points on a disc for any actions in battle to work. The first Shadow Hearts uses the Judgement Ring for a ton of things outside of battle as well. For some reason, the Spirit of the Judgement Ring is actually a character in Covenant and his daughter is a character in From the New World.

Essentially, DDS and Nocturne are straight cosmic horror done very well, while Shadow Hearts is a cosmic horror that eventually develops a bizarre and insane sense of humor. There's nothing else quite like it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:06:43 PM by Zendervai » Logged
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3761 on: May 06, 2014, 11:08:34 PM »

Shadow Hearts starts off almost dead serious and then it starts going insane when the possibly gay vampire is introduced in the second game (Shadow Hearts Covenant) and the third game is completely bonkers, while not getting rid of the dark elements. For example, two of the characters in Shadow Hearts: From the New World are a Brazilian ninja trained in a secret Japanese village that's inexplicably in the Amazon rainforest, and a vampire that feeds on fat.
DDS and Nocturne, on the other hand, are much more serious. With the exception of Cielo's out of place accent in DDS.

DDS and Nocturne have the Press Turn battle systems where you get extra moves for hitting weaknesses and passing turns. Persona 3 and 4 use a stripped down version of it. Shadow Hearts has the Judgement Ring where you need to hit certain points on a disc for any actions in battle to work. The first Shadow Hearts uses the Judgement Ring for a ton of things outside of battle as well. For some reason, the Spirit of the Judgement Ring is actually a character in Covenant and his daughter is a character in From the New World.

Essentially, DDS and Nocturne are straight cosmic horror done very well, while Shadow Hearts is a cosmic horror that eventually develops a bizarre and insane sense of humor. There's nothing else quite like it.

Whoooooaaaaa nelly!!! You just made Shadow Hearts sounds pretty appealing to me sir. In fact, without knowing better, I feel the level of bizarre you are describing could qualify as some of the best/most promising plot material I have yet to experience.

Not to speak outside the realm of SMT once again in this thread but I think you sold me on SH there.

Many thanks for the guidance friend :) I foresee a Shadow Hearts filled summer coupled with old black and white episodes of the twilight zone in my future.

Alrighty, I've been inappropriately off topic long enough to discern what I needed to.... So uh... Three cheers for Nocturne on PSN!! Hip-hip-hurraaaay!

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Masakado

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3762 on: May 11, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »

Nocturne on PSN is really good news. I very much enjoyed it on my PS2 back in the day. But remembering how long it took me to beat the game, I don't think I have the time for another playthrough, at least not on the stationary consoles. I'd rather play it on my Vita for a couple of hours. Portable Megami Tensei games are in my opinion the ideal games for aging graduate students like myself. I can't wait to experience Persona 4 one more time as soon as all the pressure from my master thesis is gone.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:58:52 PM by Masakado » Logged

I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3763 on: May 11, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »

To be fair with Shadow Hearts, though, Koudelka, the first game in the series, is all serious all the time.  It was really in a downward spiral of seriousness from the get go.

Edit: Actually, to keep this on topic, with all of its horror, body mutilation, and dark magic themes (it's probably the closest to a pure horror-RPG you'll get), Koudelka wouldn't entirely be out of place as a SMT title.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:35:51 PM by Cyril » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3764 on: May 11, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »

To be fair with Shadow Hearts, though, Koudelka, the first game in the series, is all serious all the time.  It was really in a downward spiral of seriousness from the get go.

Edit: Actually, to keep this on topic, with all of its horror, body mutilation, and dark magic themes (it's probably the closest to a pure horror-RPG you'll get), Koudelka wouldn't entirely be out of place as a SMT title.

I still get a kick out of the fact that Koudelka was directed by the same guy that composed Angel's Fears for Secret of Mana.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: