Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338499 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 376036 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3825 on: July 29, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »

Why? That would be f***ing depressing, unless it's supposed to be a horror game...
Maybe cause I am older and tired of the narrative predominately involving  15-17 year olds. I think older characters like ones from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment,  Digital Devil Saga or Catherine would be fresh change of pace.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3826 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »

My personal wish right now is that they make a Persona offset about people working in an office.
I mean, this whole serie is about insanity and wearing masks... that's like the perfect description of a desk job in a big corporation.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3827 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »

College is depressing?  I enjoyed it way more than high school...

I'm talking more from what I've heard of Japanese colleges where it's really difficult to get into, fairly strict, a lot of people wind up in lousy living conditions, etc. Basically just something that a lot of people don't really look forward to.

...although my college experience was pretty similar to that, too...

Persona Office I could get behind, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3828 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »

I'm talking more from what I've heard of Japanese colleges where it's really difficult to get into, fairly strict, a lot of people wind up in lousy living conditions, etc. Basically just something that a lot of people don't really look forward to.

College in Japan is difficult to get into (in fact most people spend their whole senior year of high school just studying for entrance exams), but it's a whole different story once you're in it.  I mean, Japanese society is pretty strict in general but college might be the one big exception to that rule.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3829 on: July 30, 2014, 01:42:46 AM »

College in Japan is difficult to get into (in fact most people spend their whole senior year of high school just studying for entrance exams), but it's a whole different story once you're in it.  I mean, Japanese society is pretty strict in general but college might be the one big exception to that rule.

Actually, its the way that Japanese companies handle hiring new talent (and Japanese corporate culture in general) that forms the backbone of this perception. Basically, companies take the cooked pasta method determining new hires, i.e. they hire whomever they can from whatever college takes applicants from their line of work and throw them at the business and sees who sticks (and those that don't can always try again at a different business within their field). They don't care what your grades were in that college or even how long you've been there, the moment you graduate from high school and presumably enter college is the moment your ticket is punched and what you got is all that you will likely ever be (if you do well its up up up the corporate ziggurat lickity-split for you, but if you had a bad day and failed your entrance exam, you'll be lucky if you wind up digging ditches for a living).

Basically, highschool for the average Japanese person is basically the last point in their lives where their futures aren't set in stone. It is literally the point of transition from childhood to adulthood, and thus is 'the' setting ground for your average coming-of-age story in Japan.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3830 on: July 30, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »

Re: "Persona Office."  As someone said earlier, we saw hints of that in Persona 2: Eternal punishment, what with all the characters being professional adults, several of whom were dealing with identity crises.  Not the least of which was
Code:
police office Katsuya Suou whose heart's desire was to be a pastry chef.
  And there is that whole theme of your "self" outside of work, weekend warrior, that kind of thing.  Like the teacher who races bicycles on the side, or the neurobiologist who draws comics on the side, etc.  And adults have been in far more relationships than kids, and those change a person big time. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3831 on: July 30, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »

well we can see what the cast of Persona 3 have been up to since I think they're out of college at this point. From what I can tell with all those scars, Akihikos seems to have been traveling the world fighting bears. Assuming Mitsurus running her families corporation, and don't remember what happened with the rest of the P3 cast. Maybe Junpeis story in the P4A sequel will shed some light on what he's been doin since then.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3832 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »

Maybe cause I am older and tired of the narrative predominately involving  15-17 year olds. I think older characters like ones from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment,  Digital Devil Saga or Catherine would be fresh change of pace.

P1 was high school
P2 was adults
P3/4 were high school

You're right, it's time to flip back.

It's not going to happen with the new format of RPG/dating sim though.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3833 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:13 PM »

Well, that's why I'm saying offset.

Persona can keep being Persona.
The Shin Megami Tensei has multiple series and I would welcome a new one about adults and work.

Nocturne for brutally hard demon stuff
Devil Summoner for the devil summoning cellphone army of Japan liberating
Persona for high school dating

*Insert new serie* for being stuck in a dead end job with great wage but no time to even enjoy the money as you work 80 hours a week which makes your wife leave you taking your daughter with her and you can't do anything about it because you have no time and are so very tired and depressed overall... until insanity hits you one night... but it turns out it wasn't insanity but completely real DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUH

(also needs drinking a la Catherine)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3834 on: July 31, 2014, 12:57:25 AM »

*Insert new serie* for being stuck in a dead end job with great wage but no time to even enjoy the money as you work 80 hours a week which makes your wife leave you taking your daughter with her and you can't do anything about it because you have no time and are so very tired and depressed overall... until insanity hits you one night... but it turns out it wasn't insanity but completely real DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUH

(also needs drinking a la Catherine)

Wasn't that what Catherine was to begin with?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3835 on: July 31, 2014, 01:27:17 AM »

Kind of, but it needs to be an RPG and not a puzzle game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3836 on: July 31, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »

well we can see what the cast of Persona 3 have been up to since I think they're out of college at this point. From what I can tell with all those scars, Akihikos seems to have been traveling the world fighting bears. Assuming Mitsurus running her families corporation, and don't remember what happened with the rest of the P3 cast. Maybe Junpeis story in the P4A sequel will shed some light on what he's been doin since then.
Well he's a baseball player now. Aegis has been serving in Mituru's anti-shadow forces. Akihiko, after the events of P4A, decides he is going to become a police officer. Fuuka is in college. Yukari is an actress now. Ken and Koromaru I don't know beyond that Koromaru is apparently with Ken.

P1 was high school
P2 was adults
P3/4 were high school

You're right, it's time to flip back.

It's not going to happen with the new format of RPG/dating sim though.
Saying P2 was adults is slightly misleading. P2IS was high school. I have yet to get around to playing P2EP, so I am assuming that is what you are referring to, and I am uncertain if that is accurate or not since according to Wikipedia it only takes place a few months after P2IS.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3837 on: July 31, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »

Most of the playable characters are different.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3838 on: July 31, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

Looks like Persona Q is another title I won't be getting. I refuse to play Atlus' little game of charging $10 more than the standard price of 3DS games just because they know their die-hard fans will pay it.

Remember kids, just say NO to $50 3DS games.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3839 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »

I'm waiting for a Price Drop, too. I feel like the extra dow involved hurt my experience with SMT4, since I expected more out of it than what I got.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: