Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Megami Tensei Topic
« Reply #3945 on: February 14, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »
Oh man I adore it.....!!!!!
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: February 14, 2015, 11:27:10 PM »
Quote from: Mickey Mac 92
Actually it kinda looks like Persona 2 Innocent Sin's Main persona. But creepier. Way creepier.

Oh man I adore it.....!!!!!

Same here. That whole poster really gives me a P2 vibe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:28:41 PM by kkhohoho »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: February 15, 2015, 12:39:46 AM »
Oh yeah, I like the look, creepy is good for a demon-like creature. Just sayin', didn't expect that out of a Persona game's main...persona, even with the warning.

Anyways, I decided to restart Persona 1 and...what was I on when I played this last? I didn't remember a single lick of this beginning segment correctly. I think my brain cobbled together the beginning of Nocturne and Persona 1 to create a very sloppy picture, which in turn had me hesitant about the game's story. But it's...actually pretty interesting so far. I could get into this.

If my PSP worked. Which it doesn't. F***. Now I gotta wait for the next Persona Sale...I mean, I could get a new PSP, but they still go for $140. I'll either wait until I see a sale, or just get it in June when apparently my brain flies the coupe and I spend a lot of money on stupid things...no seriously, I just realized that's been a pattern for me. :(

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: February 15, 2015, 01:04:28 AM »
Guess I'm the weird guy in the room once again.

My reaction to the persona was looking at its should going "MC's gonna be a heartbreaker".

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: February 15, 2015, 06:47:37 AM »
It'll probably look less so in the game but holy **** the MC's base persona is a scary looking bugger inn'it he? I quite dig it after the rather generic looks of Orpheus and Izanagi. You can actually tell the MC is going to have some depth to him instead of 'generic shonen blank slate' the last two have been (accurately reflected by Orph's and Iza's plainness.)
I dunno based on the picture Mickeymac92 posted, it looks to me like Izanagi....w/e (Idachi's version) with a slight recolor and a hat. Although part of that is because the wings look like they are just background elements due to the framing. I don't dislike it, but it feels a lot like an evilish version of Izanagi to me.

Also totally willing to bet that this MC will end up being a 'shonen blank slate' just as much as the last two. :p

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: February 15, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
Also totally willing to bet that this MC will end up being a 'shonen blank slate' just as much as the last two. :p

Real talk. Does anybody genuinely gets bothered by avatars and/or silent protagonist in RPGs nowdays? I always saw that kind complaint as shallow given the nature of the genre.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: February 15, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »

I dunno based on the picture Mickeymac92 posted, it looks to me like Izanagi....w/e (Idachi's version) with a slight recolor and a hat. Although part of that is because the wings look like they are just background elements due to the framing. I don't dislike it, but it feels a lot like an evilish version of Izanagi to me.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090124003256/megamitensei/images/9/98/P4-MagatsuIzanagi.jpg

Magatsu-Izanagi was never anything more than a poorly palette swapped Izanagi with veins because...evil? XP

The differences in design between that and P5's are pretty broad IMO. If for nothing else that M-I's just an outright eyesore.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: February 16, 2015, 06:52:35 AM »

Real talk. Does anybody genuinely gets bothered by avatars and/or silent protagonist in RPGs nowdays? I always saw that kind complaint as shallow given the nature of the genre.
It depends on implementation. It tends to work fine for me in JRPGs when it comes up, but when a WRPG tries to do it I just can't develop a connection with the game.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090124003256/megamitensei/images/9/98/P4-MagatsuIzanagi.jpg

Magatsu-Izanagi was never anything more than a poorly palette swapped Izanagi with veins because...evil? XP

The differences in design between that and P5's are pretty broad IMO. If for nothing else that M-I's just an outright eyesore.
I think those are supposed to be cracks not veins, because the evilness is breaking him apart or something.

And I stand by my statement, he has some elements that are very similar to the general Izanagi design like the high color and the neck....kerchief(?) and I can see some similarities in their head design as well. I'm pretty sure there are elements in the design that would make me not think Izanagi such as the horns that seem like they might be there or the wings, but those are cropped out for the most part in the image. His jacket not being full body is the only element that really distinguishes it from Izanagi that is fully visible....but do to browser sizing most of the time when I look at the image, that is off the browser window so it doesn't enter my mind. XP And it is M-I ove4r regular Izanagi because of the flaming face things which reminds me of the flame or w/e on M-I.

Zendervai

• View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: February 16, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »

It depends on implementation. It tends to work fine for me in JRPGs when it comes up, but when a WRPG tries to do it I just can't develop a connection with the game.

I think the big difference is that JRPG silent protagonists tend to have some level of personality, and there are usually other characters to take up the slack. WRPGs are more likely to give the player character a personality completely defined by the player, and NPCs tend to talk directly to you, and have whole conversations, which makes the silent protagonist thing stand out a lot more.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: February 16, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
I hate silent protagonists personally.  Especially in games today where everyone else is actually talking, but the game neglects to get a voice actor for their lead.

I love Virtue's Last Reward, but going from "We need to escape" to MC's *BLIPBLIPBLIP*.  Bah.
I also never really found it works to put my in the player's shoes.  Customizeable MCs tend to do that for me more, actually.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:24 PM »
I hate silent protagonists personally.  Especially in games today where everyone else is actually talking, but the game neglects to get a voice actor for their lead.

I love Virtue's Last Reward, but going from "We need to escape" to MC's *BLIPBLIPBLIP*.  Bah.
I also never really found it works to put my in the player's shoes.  Customizeable MCs tend to do that for me more, actually.

Customizable MC's for the win. I prefer being able to create an engaging and interesting main character who I can relate to, but is not necessarily me, then have an empty vessel that is supposed to represent me. Being able to create the kind of character I like to see in games is more important to me than feeling as if I am the hero.

In regards to Persona, P4 definitely had a protag with a personality.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: February 16, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »

I'm actually quite curious what personality you got from him.

I ask because to me P4's MC was designed to be as plain/flat as possible for maximum malleability. He's pretty much cut and polished to be the most generic student possible, from his non reactive attitude (except where guided by the player for extreme over reactions) to being clean, cut, and polished to look like a harmless honor student.

In fact Atlus themselves joke about this with how they wrote the MC for Persona 4: The Animation. They intentionally have him carry about as much emotional re-activeness as a piece of wood. It works to great humor effect mind you, but that's pretty much the creators outright poking fun at their own 'lack' of a creation.

So I do ask in honest inquisitiveness since perhaps another point of view picked up on something I didn't...or maybe it was subtle sarcasm in hindsight. Not sure. ...I knew I should've leveled up Understanding today. Damn cranes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:41:40 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: February 16, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
Their looks sort of impart a pseudo-personality, literally judging by appearances.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: February 16, 2015, 09:56:33 PM »

Customizable MC's for the win. I prefer being able to create an engaging and interesting main character who I can relate to, but is not necessarily me, then have an empty vessel that is supposed to represent me. Being able to create the kind of character I like to see in games is more important to me than feeling as if I am the hero.

I'm all for customizable MCs as long as the game's character interactions don't all feel like they were written solely for the Male choice (I'm looking at you Summon Night: Swordcraft Stories 1 & 2), or at least give me a fixed gender dammit.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: February 17, 2015, 02:25:16 AM »

I've always saw this situation at a design level. By that I mean that all depends if it works in the context of the universe and narrative that is being presented, a the protagonist is gonna be a certain way in order for all that to work but at the same time an RPG doesn't necessarily lives or dies by its protagonist as much as what level the player can interact with the environment and characters around him/her.