Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341029 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 380841 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 02:33:56 AM »

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck to handhelds exclusively.  SMT's biggest market is Japan, and consoles are dead in Japan.  The only things really worth developing in that market are DS and PSP games.

The Wii isn't dead. I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump from PS2 to Wii development.

The -console- isn't, but game sales are abysmal.

I haven't bought a game for my Wii in well over a year now (last purchase = Brawl) and there really isn't any games I'm looking forward to other than No More Heroes 2 (unless E3 surprises me). This is easily my least favorite Nintendo generation so far. So I can definitely see why game sales would be abysmal.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2009, 03:13:42 AM »

There are plenty of good games on the Wii, like Punch Out!  It's just that A: The largest % of the people who own Wiis are the types of people who don't understand that there are games for the system other than Wii Sports and Wii Fit and B: most of the "hardkorez yo" gamers spit all over the Wii as a "kiddie" system and so don't pay attention long enough to see that there are good games which leads to no sales which in turn leads to no developers wants to make games for the system and so on and so on and so forth.

I've bought quite a few games for my Wii in the past few months (Klonoa, Punch Out!, Rune Factory, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Kororinpa 2) so there's no shortage of decent-to-good games on the system, it's just that nobody knows they're out there/aren't interested in them because there's no blood and violence.

@Lard: You should be able to negotiate with them.  IIRC they'll want you to sacrifice a demon to make them go away.  Also, try to jack up your luck.  They're appearing often because your luck is in the shitter, if you have higher luck then they don't show.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »

Ok, I need some help with Devil Summoner.

I got to Chapter 3 and suddenly I am getting raped by these fiends.

I'm level 22 and no matter where I go, these fiends are chasing me. I can't find any place to do "regular" random encounters and/or get some new demons.

These fiends are wiping me out within the first 30 seconds of the fight.

Am I supposed to negotiate or am I completely screwed and going to have to restart my game like I suspect?

A lot of people are complaining about that. Apparently how often you encounter them depends on your luck. I think you can get away by sacrificing one of your demons, I haven't encountered a fiend yet but check gamefaqs or the atlus forum, there has been a lot of talk about that.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 06:30:42 PM »

Yep I am pretty much fucked. Looks like I have hit a brick wall and am going to have to start the game over and super level up before Chapter 3.

That's a really cunty thing for a game to do.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »

Among the MegaTen sub-series, Devil Summoner can be the douchiest sometimes.  In the original Devil Summoner for Saturn, if you didn't bend over backwards to keep your demons loyal, they'd royally screw you over.  That game was pretty evil in how much you needed to butt-rub your demons sometimes.  Sometimes felt like I was babysitting a bunch of high-maintenance teenage drama queens.

It's interesting how luck is a "mostly harmless" (or mostly useless if you read it that way) stat in many JRPGs, but it actually means something in most MegaTen games.  In the early ones where you did full-on demon negotiations, a high luck stat did influence negotiation success, but evevn the highest luck couldn't counteract a full moon.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:53:26 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »

If I use a Luck Locust, will that raise my luck up and keep the fiends away? Also, where can I get more cages?

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »

1: It should
2: I have no idea

There shouldn't be any reason to start over.  I'm not sure it's possible to get so badly fucked that you would need to.

Remember, you're not SUPPOSED to be able to beat the Fiends, you have to chase them away.  So any bright ideas about leveling up can just go right into the trash can, there's no way you'd ever get high enough in level by Chapter 3 to beat them unless you had years of time and patience.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2009, 11:24:46 PM »

There shouldn't be any reason to start over.  I'm not sure it's possible to get so badly fucked that you would need to

There are two different side quests I'm trying to do - both of which involve facing 100 demons. I get to a certain point and Nekomatas start coming out and invariably charm my demons.

Since I'm only allowed to carry 9 Anti-minds at a time, I invariably run out, and am killed by my own demons.

I sold the three badges I got for my saved Devil Summoner 1 game, and then promptly lost half my money in Tento Forest because I walked into a dark area and kept falling over.

Every time I've tried to negotiate with a fiend, it's failed and I've ended up dying.

Every time I've tried to fight a fiend, it's failed and I've ended up dying.

There's nowhere for me to go to level up.

There's nowhere for me to go to get new demons.

Suggestions?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:17 PM »

Sometimes felt like I was babysitting a bunch of high-maintenance teenage drama queens.

Didn't you used to moderate the forums?

Anyway, I'm not up to the fiends yet (I WOULD have been but I've been out of town for like three days), but I will say that being a Megaten game, leveling is probably not useful.

The only SMT-related game I powerleveled in was Persona 1, because I didn't grasp the ideas of "elemental weakness matter!" and "you should really fuse new personas dawg." I mean I literaly only fused new personas for most of the characters before Deva Yuga. I'm not sure how I did that.

btw gen is your copy of DS2 running better now at all?

then promptly lost half my money in Tento Forest because I walked into a dark area and kept falling over.

Have a demon cast "light up." Another guy later on tells you this in the forest.

If you lost a huge amount of money, just reload. There's a dragon's den right before the dark area, so...

No idea about the fiends, though.

As for the nekomata, just get something that's strong against mind/nerve. Or press R2 to make your demons invisible/call them to you and run like hell when Marin Kirin is being cast.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:04:29 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:22 AM »

I'm way past it. I should have reloaded, but you can't really reload in that part without having to go through the whole forest again.

I do keep forgetting about making them invisible, I'll try that, thanks.

It sort of worked.....for a while.

I was fighting Nekomatas and...something else.

One was weak to lightning and the other was weak to Zan.

So I'd weaken one and kill it and the other kind would appear.

I would try and make my guys invisible against Nekos charms, and 2 seconds later, the other demon casts Pulinpa and confuses them so I *STILL* have to fucking use my fucking Anti-minds.

This is just about the cuntiest game I have ever played.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:19:16 AM by Lard » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »

Can't you do the sidequest later? also how much HP do the nekomats have?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »

Don't know about HP, I actually managed to progress last night though.

I finished
Code:
the Summoner temple in Chapter 3
and did some sidequests as well. The
Code:
100 demon fight sidequest
is a pain in the ass.

I got stuck on Centipede Road and gave up cause I was tired.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »

I'm about at that point right now. I'll report when I finish this stuff.

I really appreciate how DS2 shows you loads of stuff before you can do anything with it. Law of Miyamoto and all. Much appreciated.

o/` I do not dream o/`

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »

I've beaten every Fiend I've run into so far.

Take a Lilim to drain the Mudo skills, then just wail on it like crazy.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »

Iím thinking of importing a US copy of Devil Summoner in the near future. I think itís about time I started getting some of the PS2 games that never came out here. I havenít been interested in Shin Megami Tensei game in a while, but this one sounds pretty cool.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: