Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319122 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 321749 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »

I thought Shin = new.

As in Atlus renamed the Megami Tensei series "Shin Megami Tensei/New Megami Tensei" when they took over the series from Namco. (It was Namco, wasn't it?)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »

It means both of them. It depends on the kanji used in context.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's "True Goddess Rebirth" or something like that. Megami Tensei was the name of the original game which literally had a reborn goddess as one of the main characters.

Edit: Ok, I checked Hardcore Gaming 101 quickly, I'll quote them.

"Megami Tensei" translates to "Reincarnation of the Goddess" - this is because the female protagonist in the original story was the reincarnation of the Japanese creation deity Izanami. The title is open to interpretation in all subsequent games, but almost all of them contain females in strong roles. When the series came in the 16-era, it was named "Shin Megami Tensei", which has stuck ever since. Literally this means "Reincarnation of the True Goddess" - however, the Japanese often use "shin" (a symbol which means "true") to show an evolution of some kind. (Other examples of this includes "Shin Sangoku Musou", known as Dynasty Warriors 2; Shin Contra, known as Contra Shattered Soldier; and Shin Samurai Spirits, or Samurai Shodown 2.) It's roughly equivalent to the English word "super", which was stuck in front of practically every Super Nintendo sequel back in the day.

So there you go.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »

out of curiousity did persona 2 have a female last boss? p4 does and p3 sorta does,but i dont recall what nyx looked like and i never finished the answer.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2009, 04:06:38 PM »

No, both Persona 2 games had decidedly male final bosses. 

In Innocent Sin
Code:
one boss is Hitler, and the final boss is Great Father- which is an amalgam of all the protagonists' fathers wearing bondage gear.  Yes, it's that disturbing.

In Eternal Punishment
Code:
it's Nyarlathotep, or Crawling Chaos, who is the opposite of Philemon and a male Lovecraftian product. 

And depnding on how you answered Mae's questions in Persona 1, the final boss is either
Code:
Guido Sardenia/Takahisa Kandori who's a twisted male corporate head
or it's
Code:
Pandora, who is the deep turmoil in Mary/Maki's soul.

And Lard, you're right.  Namco did the first two Megami Tensei games for Famicom then Atlus bought the rights and Shin Megami Tensei on Super Famicom was their first one.  And the rest is history. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2009, 05:11:12 PM »

P3's last boss is male, FYI.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »

Nyx is a Greek goddess.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyx

I approve of this nonsense!
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »

I noticed both RPGaymer and Gamespot both complained about lack of voice acting.

In a DS game.

sigh

There are a few DS games with VA out there (FFIV being a prominent example). But I'm still with you here. VA ought not be mandatory.

DS games could also be like TWEWY in which only a few lines and expressions were voiced. However, I'll agree that VA in games, in special DS games, should be an optional "feature".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:35:11 PM by Draak » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »

Critics sometimes bring up weird things to criticize anyway, I remember the IGN review for Riviera pointing out a lack of online functionality or item trading. I wonder whether they're personal quirks or some editorial decree that they must look for this, that, and those in the process of reviewing, even if they're not particularly relevant to a game. Some sites even bother to make Multiplayer a category that must be scored and included in the average that makes up the final score.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »

Nyx is a Greek goddess.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyx

But you don't fight Nyx, you fight Nyx Avatar, which is actually

Code:
Ryoji.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2009, 08:30:18 PM »

Anyway, I wish more games had voice overs like Skies of Arcadia.  Not even lines dubbed, just YEEEAAAHHS and LAMDA BURRRRSSSSSSTS.

Well, not even the attack names.  Just some expressive gasps and hurrays over the lines.

Man, I wish LESS games had VAs.  You don't always need to have them.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2009, 02:29:51 AM »

My first exposure was, not going to lie, Persona 3. I HAVE Persona 4, and I'm close to finally getting to play it.

I wanted Persona 2 for a million years though and never got around to acquiring it. I thought I had a burned copy but I can't find it, so I may go back to searching for a copy, as if I could ever afford it.

I never really know what MegaTen games to try. Nocturne yes, but it's also hard to find and expensive, though not as much. And I've been told to try DDS1 too.. other than that, I really have no idea.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2009, 02:38:03 AM »

Between Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga I vastly prefer Nocturne, DDS may be able to ease you into it but Persona 3 was probably enough, and I admit I may be a little more opinionated on DDS/Nocturne since some people seem to disregard Nocturne as being the same game but without as much story (which is itself a bogus claim; it has fewer cutscenes and you could argue that the characterization isn't as predominate, but less =/= inferior). Really though, Nocturne just felt like a more robust, complete game while the DDS series was more like a set of expansion packs, and kind of feels weird compared to how Devil Summoner and Persona 3/4 were much bigger departures from Nocturne.

Though, uhh, Digital Devil Saga is pretty great and worth playing, just be sure to play them in order to fully appreciate them.
jello44

We have visitors!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2009, 03:18:09 AM »

My first exposure was, not going to lie, Persona 3. I HAVE Persona 4, and I'm close to finally getting to play it.

I wanted Persona 2 for a million years though and never got around to acquiring it. I thought I had a burned copy but I can't find it, so I may go back to searching for a copy, as if I could ever afford it.

I never really know what MegaTen games to try. Nocturne yes, but it's also hard to find and expensive, though not as much. And I've been told to try DDS1 too.. other than that, I really have no idea.

I haven't played any of them either, so don't feel too bad. I was out of the loop for a while with most games anyway, due to a certain MMO... *cough* anyway.. I'll eventually pick up P3/4 sometime...

Speaking of which, I see this SMT : Devil Survivor game for the DS; and it looks really good. I'm in the mood for a good Strat-RPG, which looks like it is; but leads me to one question. This is a different world from all the other games, and I don't have to play them in order to understand the story in DS, right?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2009, 03:24:27 AM »

This is a different world from all the other games, and I don't have to play them in order to understand the story in DS, right?

Correct. As a general rule of the thumb each of the sub series is in its own universe, and even the sequels may not gain anything meaningful from playing the prequel. In fact, most installments are fairly stand alone outside of Digital Devil Saga and to a lesser degree Persona 2.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: