Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 04:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331720 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 358151 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2009, 08:33:49 AM »

All you really miss out on are passing references to older characters and events.  Like, at the final dungeon in Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. The Soulless Army, there are some NPC's who spout lines that will mean nothing to you if you didn't play the original couple Megaten games, but even if you know what they're saying it's nothing more than an amusing side benefit.  Same thing with Persona 3, the news show on the TV in the dorm often has "Exclusive interviews" with characters from older games, most notably important characters from the previous 3 Personas.

And to be totally honest, you don't even need to really play the first parts of Persona 2 or DDS to understand the second halves, as they re-tread all the pertinent info you need to have.  It just tends to make things have a bigger impact since you know ALL the details of what happened, as opposed to the "just the facts, m'aam" version you get from the sequel.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »

This is a different world from all the other games, and I don't have to play them in order to understand the story in DS, right?

Correct. As a general rule of the thumb each of the sub series is in its own universe, and even the sequels may not gain anything meaningful from playing the prequel. In fact, most installments are fairly stand alone outside of Digital Devil Saga and to a lesser degree Persona 2.

Well Persona 2 has the Kuzunoha Detective Agency, so you could argue that Devil Summoner and Persona take place in the same world, though I think that was more of an Easter Egg for fans than anything important.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

from what I'VE scene P2: EP is more of a direct sequel to P1 than P2: IS which is also one of the reasons I think EP got a stateside release over IS. Both P2s rub me wrong so whatever.

Well Persona 2 has the Kuzunoha Detective Agency, so you could argue that Devil Summoner and Persona take place in the same world, though I think that was more of an Easter Egg for fans than anything important.

I THINK it's the same world since the reference is pretty pervasive in uh IS I think. It's just some really obfuscated way. SMT If... is also in there. I never played the first two devil summoner games or SMT If so I couldn't get the details without horribly butchering the hell out of them though.

Also the character design for Raidou Kuzunoha was invented sometime in the late 90s, which is odd.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »

The names are coincidental.  I can't remember all the details, but the final dungeon of Soulless Army points out that the Devil Summoner games are in the same timeline as the original 2 Megaten games, and Persona 1 is NOT in that timeline.  And since all 5 Persona games are decidedly in the same timeline, they're not the same Kuzunoha family.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2009, 08:54:39 PM »

And since all 5 Persona games are decidedly in the same timeline, they're not the same Kuzunoha family.

Wait, P3/4 are in the same timeline as P1/2/2? I thought it was established otherwise with the MMO SLink.

Also doesn't the Kuzunoha from the first Devil Summoner posess Tammy or something?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »

Wait, P3/4 are in the same timeline as P1/2/2? I thought it was established otherwise with the MMO SLink.

That was actually a creative liberty they took because the Japanese version was referencing the original Megami Tensei, and they wanted to use something actually familiar to the audience.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »

So uh... Eusis can you explain this further how thet timelines work out and all :(

(Also wasn't the MMO called innocent sin online, too?)

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »

I think on page 3 or 4 I explained the Devil Summoner thing.  Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers are a what if, if a certain event didn't happen in SMT.  Raidou Kuzunoha's a whole new arc.  Pretty nice referential nod to the Kuzunoha Detective Agency in IS and EP.

With Persona, the female avatar in Shin Megami Tensei If... makes a cameo as Tamaki (Tammy) in Persona 1, 2:IS, and 2:EP.  Plus, students from the school in If... hang out in Sumaru (you can tell by their stripey pants uniforms.  Seventh students had black ones and Kasugayama students had light blue.)  Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment take place a fair ways after 1.  In 1, the kids are in high school and in 2, they're older with careers (i.e. Mary/Maki being the assistant psychotherapise, Brown/Brad being the talk show host, etc.)  From what I understand, that whole arc ended with Eternal Punishment. 

I think Persona 3 begins a whole new arc that isn't directly connected, nor does it need to be.  The way the kids receive their personas in 3 and 4 is different from the predecessors.  No Philemon, no playing "Persona Persona" as kids.  And it does reference other MegaTen games for fun, like the Cielo Mist soda, the Innocent Sin MMO, and the dorm advisor guy wearing the same kind of suit as Baofu.  The MMO was like finding the children's storybook "Tales of Phantasia" in Tales of Destiny.  P4 obviously takes place a few years after P3. 

Some MegaTen games are quite self-referential.  Every character you face in the DemiKids battle arenas is based on old Persona characters. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:58:11 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »

Speaking of demikids, I should give dark version another shot. It seems better than light. more interesting fusion system and actual difficulty. although the story is still retarded and dark/light are STILL pretty much the dregs of that side-series (which is sort of annoying since Fire/Ice is supposed to be quite good and a return to the cheeky subversiveness of like, Black/Red/White, which I'm sure really isn't considered that subversive in Japan because it's Japan. Go Japan!).

I also wish Devil Survivor was coming with a soundtrack :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2009, 11:05:17 PM »

I think there was another reference to P1 in Mitsuru's S.Link, about the Nanjo company.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »

I think there was another reference to P1 in Mitsuru's S.Link, about the Nanjo company.

Not even in the S-link.  Prior to the beach scene, there's talk about working with the Nanjo company.  Of course, there's no telling whether they dealt directly with Kei/Nate, or with one of his descendents.  Or if it's just an arbitrary Nanjo company named as a cute little self-reference.  I think it's the latter.  Of course, I never did Mitsuru's S-link since my academics wasn't maxed out and she kinda frightened me.

Mesh- I actually preferred Light's fusion system over Dark's.  Details are in a review i r rited 4 erpig fan. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:11:43 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »

Nate is interviewed on the TV News you can watch in the dorm.  Not by name, but the description can only be him.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:41 PM »

Wow. Popmatters reviewed Raidou 2.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/102216-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-2/

This is fucking retarded. By popmatter's standards, even, which are *goddamn low* (See: Most videogame reviews they do). They don't discuss the gameplay except in the barest sense and spend the entire review misconstruing the demon negoation system for two whole pages, give it a 5 out of 10, and their only complaint is that it's too sprawling compared to Persona 3.

The hell?

This is like, even worse than Tidwell and his inability to grasp multi-clausal sentences.

o/` I do not dream o/`

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2009, 02:29:39 AM »

I think it's the latter.  Of course, I never did Mitsuru's S-link since my academics wasn't maxed out and she kinda frightened me.
Heh, Mitsuru was my favorite of the female social links.

I've been thinking of trying Devil Survivor but I just started Persona 4 and uh, considering I put 160 hours into P3 (..I don't know HOW), I might be occupied for a while already.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »

Wow. Popmatters reviewed Raidou 2.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/102216-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-2/

This is fucking retarded. By popmatter's standards, even, which are *goddamn low* (See: Most videogame reviews they do). They don't discuss the gameplay except in the barest sense and spend the entire review misconstruing the demon negoation system for two whole pages, give it a 5 out of 10, and their only complaint is that it's too sprawling compared to Persona 3.

The hell?

This is like, even worse than Tidwell and his inability to grasp multi-clausal sentences.

Terrible review.

But considering they haven't even got the right cover for their Nocturne review link (it's the cover to Digital Devil Saga), I guess that they're not worth taking very seriously.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: