Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 03:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338119 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 374996 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: April 27, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »

With popularity comes the morons. And when the morons come, you get demands of "Faster! Better Graphics! Shorter Cutscenes!".
Then Atlus will start feeling the pressure. If they are happy with the sales they are getting at the moment (They usually go beyond their sales predictions, don't they?) then it's safe to say money won't come in the way of artistic integrity.

You have a really good point. That's probably why everybody loves Atlus, because they aren't trying to make an RPG int oa FPS just for the sake of being popular (and yes, I liked FFXIII but I completely understand why a lot of people didn't).
As for Persona 3, 4 and Devil Survivor, I beleive I enjoyed them much more than any other SMT game is especially of the lengthy cutscenes. Probably that's why I liked FFXIII as well, or Xenosaga, and the list goes on.

But Atlus makes everbody happy, since they seem to alternate well between the story focused to the dungeon focused games.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »

make an RPG int oa FPS just for the sake of being popular (and yes, I liked FFXIII but I completely understand why a lot of people didn't).

Heeeh? How is FFXIII an FPS, unless I'm missing something...?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: April 27, 2010, 08:07:22 PM »

make an RPG int oa FPS just for the sake of being popular (and yes, I liked FFXIII but I completely understand why a lot of people didn't).

I think that was just the result of poor sentence structure. I think Farron just meant that Final Fantasy XIII was similar to an FPS is the sense that it was faster, stronger and more action rather than drama orientated.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CosmicSisyphus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: April 28, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »

With popularity comes the morons. And when the morons come, you get demands of "Faster! Better Graphics! Shorter Cutscenes!".
Then Atlus will start feeling the pressure. If they are happy with the sales they are getting at the moment (They usually go beyond their sales predictions, don't they?) then it's safe to say money won't come in the way of artistic integrity.

Yeah, that's not really what I was really saying.

Just making sure it wasn't indirectly aimed at me, that's all.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 28, 2010, 12:58:02 AM »

There's plenty of drama in XIII though, even if it's not necessarily good! But it's more like an FPS in structure; having faster and more action packed battles is just part of it. There's the linearity of it, encounters that are set to be easily redoable upon failure, and the fact it pretty much urges you to move forward and progress the narrative.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: April 28, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »

I think that was just the result of poor sentence structure. I think Farron just meant that Final Fantasy XIII was similar to an FPS is the sense that it was faster, stronger and more action rather than drama orientated.
That's it. I should have expressed myself better.
Square-Enix themselves claimed that FFXIII wasn't an RPG when they were making it... Why they would say that is beyond me. But by that I understand that's the same Starmongoose understood from what I said.

They probably tried to give the game a pacing as fast as a popular FPS or Third person game. What they should've thought is that if I wanted a fast paced 3rd Person game I'd play God of War, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden or whatever.

I'll try to stop here, or else this topic will became another FFXIII discussion, like any other on the internet where we talk about an RPG and it ends in FFXIII.

Back to SMT, I was watching a video of the good ending of Persona 4 (I only got the normal ending) and I remembered something, which probably is my only complain about the series: Why is it so hard to get items ? I mean, not the usual stuff you can buy on store but some items the restore your MP, or give you full-life; they are super rare. And I do understand to not give you it in the beginning of the game but later on, there could be a higher drop rate or at least show up more on those random treasure chests.

And it's not only in Persona, others as well, if I'm not mistaken.
By that I don't mean to make the games easier but at least for us to have more variety as to how approach bosses and what spells to use.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: April 28, 2010, 10:15:51 PM »

Back to SMT, I was watching a video of the good ending of Persona 4 (I only got the normal ending) and I remembered something, which probably is my only complain about the series: Why is it so hard to get items ? I mean, not the usual stuff you can buy on store but some items the restore your MP, or give you full-life; they are super rare. And I do understand to not give you it in the beginning of the game but later on, there could be a higher drop rate or at least show up more on those random treasure chests.

In Persona 4 at least I'm pretty sure that it's a design decision.  They got rid of the fatigue system from Persona 3 so really the only thing that limited how much dungeon-crawling you could do in a given day was your MP.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

And it's not only in Persona, others as well, if I'm not mistaken.
By that I don't mean to make the games easier but at least for us to have more variety as to how approach bosses and what spells to use.

Persona doesn't give us the sort of MP recovery drop rate that we are used to, but seriously - now when I replay Persona or SMT, I have more Soma Drops, Snuff Souls than I did Medicines. Why? Because I learned to save them, out of the unknown fear that I might DIRELY need one. And the fear at the end, made me stop using them all together.

I do not think It would hurt the game that much to include more SP recovery items (rather than spending 2 hours get TaP soda out of a vending machine), however I am now beyond redemption so It doesn't matter so much to me.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »

Apparently using items in SMT games can make you insanely powerful. I have no idea how this playstyle works though.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »

Apparently using items in SMT games can make you insanely powerful. I have no idea how this playstyle works though.

It helps, but I don't think it makes you insanely powerful. Nothing in SMT makes you insanely powerful. You always run the risk of losing to a random battle.

Even if you reach maximum level the game basically goes "Yeah? So what, *Mind Charge + Megidolaon*. Fuck you."

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: April 29, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »

Dude, just start fucking using the items.  You get MORE than enough SP restoratives for when it matters.  I mean, P4 limited them because it was trying to encourage a balance between paying the Fox for healing and having to leave the TV to rest up a day.  But every other Megaten game supplies SP healing out the ass, there's no reason to not be spamming those items to keep yourself alive and healthy.  Persona 3 generally handed you about 4-5 power heals after every single bossfight, Nocturne handed them out like candy, Strange Journey lets you buy nearly every kind of healing item possible, and the list goes on.

And lol, short supply on full HP heals?  Healing yourself to full HP is about the easiest thing you can possibly do in a Megaten game.  Not only do your characters regularaly get access to Diarahan and Mediarahan around level 50 (Which is usually less than halfway into the game), but enemies shit out Life Stones and Beads in greater amounts then they do Macca in some instances.  Either you guys had really, really, really bad luck in getting items drops, or you just didn't pay attention to how much stuff was in your inventory.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:43:36 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: April 29, 2010, 01:12:34 AM »

I never used items much in Nocturne because I gave the main Mana Drain and I had daisoujou in my party all the time and enemies have limited MP in that game so if you spam mana drain a lot -- I generally alternated between having the main cast spells and do mana drain. Daisoujou had... that one attack that drained HP and MP -- they run out of MP and their AI breaks.

Also why the fuck is there not a MTGish SMT card game?

---edit---

Oh wait there is just no us release. Motherfucking pinecones >:C

o/` I do not dream o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »

Also why the fuck is there not a MTGish SMT card game?

---edit---

Oh wait there is just no us release. Motherfucking pinecones >:C

Is there a physical card game? I got curious and came up with this.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/shin-megami-tensei-trading-card-card-summoner-

"Oh, a hunter..."
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: May 12, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »

Dude, just start fucking using the items.  You get MORE than enough SP restoratives for when it matters.  I mean, P4 limited them because it was trying to encourage a balance between paying the Fox for healing and having to leave the TV to rest up a day.  But every other Megaten game supplies SP healing out the ass, there's no reason to not be spamming those items to keep yourself alive and healthy.  Persona 3 generally handed you about 4-5 power heals after every single bossfight, Nocturne handed them out like candy, Strange Journey lets you buy nearly every kind of healing item possible, and the list goes on.

And lol, short supply on full HP heals?  Healing yourself to full HP is about the easiest thing you can possibly do in a Megaten game.  Not only do your characters regularaly get access to Diarahan and Mediarahan around level 50 (Which is usually less than halfway into the game), but enemies shit out Life Stones and Beads in greater amounts then they do Macca in some instances.  Either you guys had really, really, really bad luck in getting items drops, or you just didn't pay attention to how much stuff was in your inventory.

It is easy to full heal yourself with Mediarahan, I agree. But there are some spells that are good and fun, but you can't use them much, like Tetrakarn and Makarakarn (One reflects physical attacks and the other magic attacks), there's also an item that does this too. If you use these spells on the right boss, he's toast but given the limit in MP I ended up restraining myself too much on using them afraid I would run out of MP.
There were some where I used it, before the boss used an attack on the entire party, and I was just smiling to see that huge damage number go back to him ! But this is just an example, what I'd like is to have a wider approach to the bosses.
There was one on P3 I died so much that I didn't know what to do anymore, so just before dying again I used Virus Breath (gives poison + damage) and the boss took a huge amount of damage from the poison, about 1/4 of his HP.

Maybe with more MP we could buff more, debuff more and so on.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: May 12, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »

Maybe with more MP we could buff more, debuff more and so on.

You're supposed to be buffing and debuffing constantly. If you're at a point where you need to be buffing and debuffing more you're probably Doing It Wrong.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:50:55 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: