Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:06:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327445 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 340899 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: May 18, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »

I didn't much care for Heat myself, that type of character always grates against me.

I did bond with Argilla a lot though.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: May 18, 2010, 08:41:41 PM »

I got especially fond of Heat in DDS2, and anyone who didn't is a heartless creep.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:30 PM »

Gale got interesting for like five minutes total, Cielo was useless in DDS1 but got more useful in 2. He had a cool scene near the end too. Sera was meh, but I liked the rest of the cast.

I got especially fond of Heat in DDS2, and anyone who didn't is a heartless creep.
Agreed. All the parts of DDS2 with Heat were my favorite even when I hated him. =P

The backstory was pretty interesting as well, I thought.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:44:11 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Cait Sith
Roll the Dice

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: May 18, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »

I love Persona 1, 3, 4, and Devil Survivor, and Im working on getting my hands on Noctourne, DDS, and Strange Journey.

I noticed the lack of 2, have you played it or did you not enjoy it?

Personally innocent sin & eternal punishment go after Persona 3 but before DDS 1&2

I havn't played it. Eventually I hope to for sure. And Im aware how DDS and Noctourne are very different from Persona, and everything I see just makes me more excited.

Currently Playing: Resonance of Fate

PSN: jasonpudd
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: May 19, 2010, 12:09:10 AM »

True story: I liked Persona 1 more than Persona 2 for some reason.

Also I'm having a hard time continuing with SJ. That hidden door in Sector C really WAS off-putting to me because it was just flat-out bad area design and it sounds like that kind of stuff continues. Also the game's sort of oppressive feeling.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

rezo111

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: May 19, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »

I used to have Persona: Revelations. I liked it but when I found out how bastardized it was, I was so angry!

I still think it's weird they released Persona 2: Eternal Punishment in the US without ever having released Persona 2: Innocent Sin. That's like watching Ghostbusters 2 without having watched Ghostbusters 1!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: May 19, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »

Eternal Punishment's a better game than IS. They essentially play identically, but EP just smooths over all of the rough spots and is just... better balanced and more enjoyable for a variety of reasons.

Additionally IS is japanese to the point where, even with a translation, I didn't understand half the shit that was going on and didn't really care, either.

I don't think Americanizing Persona 1 affected the quality any, since the only gameplay alterations were reducing random encounter rate and increasing experience received which, in my eyes, are good things. Oh, and they removed the snow queen quest, but that doesn't sound even remotely fun so who cares.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: May 19, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »

Eternal Punishment's a better game than IS. They essentially play identically, but EP just smooths over all of the rough spots and is just... better balanced and more enjoyable for a variety of reasons.

That's a very bold statement to make. It is true that some of the gameplay had been tweaked to run more smoothly but that isn't all a game is, well not an RPG anyway.

I played Innocent Sin first (I suspect you played Eternal Punishment first) so I think that may have some effect on the way I perceived it. I felt the story in IS was much stronger than in EP. Both had fantastic stories - but IS will always have a special place. I also felt the characters of Lisa Silverman, Eikichi and Jun made a bigger impression than Baofu, Ellen, Nate and Ulala ( I left out characters who were playable in both). They went through some very rough shit together.

Not that I'm hating on EP - I just don't feel like calling EP "better" than IS is true. Better for you, maybe. It depends on what you value most in these types of games. Certainly not "better" for me.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: May 19, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »

A. Everything in a game external to the gameplay, whatever the gameplay may be, is ultimately fluff. Strong aesthetics and stories can greatly improve a good design. They can never make up for a bad design, though, and if the underlying design relies entirely on things external to the gameplay, it's fundamentally flawed.

B. I didn't really like IS' story because I couldn't really relate to anything in it or any of its ideas. It seemed like a lot of teenage, highschool drama. A lot of it felt like it was dealing with the characters' father issues. I find that kind of thing incredibly... lame.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: May 19, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »

I agree that the core of a game is the gameplay itself, but Persona 2 isn't Super Mario Bros. A lot more has to be considered. I would use a horrible metaphor or something, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at.

As for your second comment -
Code:
Probably the most important aspect of the story in Innocent Sin was about 5 children who are outcasts in one way or another and seek comfort in their little group known as the Masquerade, and mostly depend on the Big Sister character in Maya. When they find out Maya is moving away and won't be able to see them anymore, Lisa and Eikichi  lock Maya in the local shrine, hoping she won't leave them. That night an arsonist torches the Shrine and Lisa and Eikichi are so distraught by the event of Mayas supposed death that they have blanked it out of their memories completely, Jun is especially traumatized and when he grows up he is the only one who remember the events of that night, creating a twisted version of the Masquerade and seeking revenge for his Mother figure. A little to do with parental indifference but it is mostly about a group of kids involved in extremely unfortunate circumstances that are the product of two deity's trying to prove a point.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #850 on: May 19, 2010, 10:10:13 PM »

I think I was aware of that spoiler before you posted it. In any case, as I said, that kind of story just doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »

All this talk about Persona 2 remind me that Atlus needs to hurry up with those remakes for the PSP! :'<
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: May 20, 2010, 02:30:07 AM »

I'd rather get new games, to be honest.  Even in the update, P1 is almost unplayable and P2 hasn't aged well either, judging from my recent attempts to play EP.

Another game like Nocturne would be really nice.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: May 20, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »

Another game like Nocturne would be really nice.

It's impossible to create another game like Nocturne... badass RPG to date.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »

I haven't finished Nocturne, but I know what I clearly liked about the game: the dark mood it brings; that solitude feel that most of the time it's just you and the demons.
However there are times with little interaction and too much random encounters ... I do enjoy more talking in my RPGs.

It's weird because when the game is clear the story is not the focus, I can deal with it, like Demon's Souls, Monster Hunter, Diablo, etc but if there is a plot, especially an interesting one, I want to know it asap.

This is probably my downside with Strage Journey now, I'm in Sector D and at times the dungeons feels waaaay to long. It's just like MeshGearFox said:
Also I'm having a hard time continuing with SJ. That hidden door in Sector C really WAS off-putting to me because it was just flat-out bad area design and it sounds like that kind of stuff continues.

I had to look up a map in gamefaqs and still it was hard to find. I would expect things like this in 8bit/16bit RPGs, but these days you rarely see it, probably because that is boring as hell.
Maybe Dragon Quest fans like this, because this is one of my main gripes about the games.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: