Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341334 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 383600 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: May 20, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »

I had to look up a map in gamefaqs and still it was hard to find. I would expect things like this in 8bit/16bit RPGs, but these days you rarely see it, probably because that is boring as hell.
Maybe Dragon Quest fans like this, because this is one of my main gripes about the games.

The thing with the hidden doors is that it's just... very un-Atlus. Maybe the Etrian games did it, but I don't think any of the SMT games have. I'm pretty sure Persona and SMT1 didn't.

The second odd thing about it is that just clashes with the games overall design. Your suit has a hidden door sense. I can get not revealing a hidden door until I'm in the same space as it, but actually requiring me to rotate and face the wall? That's sort of needle-in-a-haystack.

Same with the dark areas. As soon as I saw it my first thought was that I'd either need to do a puzzle to light it up or get some sort of suit upgrade to get through it. Not the case.

Anyway, I'm not sure I get your Dragon Quest comparison. Phantasy Star 1's the only 8-bit game I can recall with a similarly hidden door, in Lassic's Palace.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »

Just crabwalk down hallways.  You'll never miss a hidden door, ever.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: May 20, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »

The second odd thing about it is that just clashes with the games overall design. Your suit has a hidden door sense. I can get not revealing a hidden door until I'm in the same space as it, but actually requiring me to rotate and face the wall? That's sort of needle-in-a-haystack.

I wouldn't really call it in a needle-in-a-haystack. You can usually tell where a hidden door would be. Some areas look suspicious, and you can cancel out a lot of the area you've already explored that obviously wouldn't have any extra space to explore.

Etrian Odyssey had hidden areas. A little check message would pop up if there was a hidden spot, but you would have to be facing the direction of where it was. Makes sense to me. How would you know there was something hidden there if you weren't looking at it, or inspecting it?

"Oh, a hunter..."
CosmicSisyphus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: May 20, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »

I concede my original criticism of Persona 3 and 4's art style. After reading Tezuka's Dororo I have come to realize pop-art succeed in effectively conveying powerful symbolic imagery. The narrative in video games are very difficult to dissect, considering their multi-faceted nature (e.g., player agency, dialogue, and so forth), so I was a bit ignorant to criticize Persona 3's seriousness of plot on the basis of art-style. However, I still hold my opinion that a game doesn't necessary need character development or a complex narrative in order to be considered deep; my post on Strange Journey's minimalist style and thematic depth elaborated on this position.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: May 20, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »

All this talk about Persona 2 remind me that Atlus needs to hurry up with those remakes for the PSP! :'<

We're never going to get Persona 2 remakes for PSP.

If they only do Eternal Punishment, people will be mad. And they're *never* going to release IS in the West.

So they're just not going to bother.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: May 20, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »

stop ports and go for persona 5 for ps3 *drolls*

(maybe xbox 360)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:51:21 PM by WildArms » Logged

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: May 20, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »

All this talk about Persona 2 remind me that Atlus needs to hurry up with those remakes for the PSP! :'<

We're never going to get Persona 2 remakes for PSP.

If they only do Eternal Punishment, people will be mad. And they're *never* going to release IS in the West.

So they're just not going to bother.

You say it like you're 100% confident that it's true. You never know. I don't expect to ever get IS, but it's possible that we could get EP for PSP. I'd love it if they ported it over to the PSP.

"Oh, a hunter..."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 20, 2010, 09:04:13 PM »

I wouldn't complain if they redid EP. I lost my copy ages ago, and still want to play it. That said I'd play IS too, even if it's 'not as good', just because the two are connected and all that jazz.

I have the feeling they'll focus on Persona 5, though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: May 20, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »

You say it like you're 100% confident that it's true.

I am. It's never going to happen. It's just too much trouble for them, and they can't advertise cut content included like they did with The Snow Queen quest.

It's never going to happen.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: May 20, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »

(maybe xbox 360)

Yes!  I can't be the only one who feels that the whole Persona 3 PSP thing was completely unnecessary (and yes, I have a PSP...no, I'm not going to get it).  I would much rather Atlus focused on making a new Persona game.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 20, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »

They will release it on the Wii and you will cry.

... Actually, it'd probably go on the PSP.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: May 20, 2010, 11:55:50 PM »

People crushing my hopes for games that I want to play, charming.

But seriously, if Atlus ever make the announcement of those remakes it would be cool. And I'm sure that Atlus USA would make some efforts to bring the two games outside of Japan. I mean, there's games with more heavy content and what not than the two P2 games together.

The fans are ready for it, that's a fact. The other side of the story is that, Japanese gamers didn't like the remake of the 1st Persona game for the PSP... not to mention that make two remakes cost money, money that Atlus want to put on projects like the next Persona game (ugh).

Anyway, if Atlus really want my money, they must do a game like Digital Devil Saga. The battle system alone is brilliant and they can make use of it for a long time. Is easily one of the best and most enjoyable battle systems ever. Not to mention that I like to feel the "punishment" that games like Nocturne or DDS can do to the player if you lose one battle.

Good times... Oh yeah! We also need more music like this one in RPGs.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: May 20, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »

Lol i just can't imagine a persona game in the wii.... that would suck sooooOOooooOo much, and i can't imagine how many haters would be born from that action.... Umm i wouldn't mind persona 5 to be on PSP, i mean, this is a great portable device (just look some videos of kingdom hearts birth by sleep, god eater, etc, they just look and are freaking awesome), still... it would sadden me, i'm just expecting a lot from persona 5.

Yes!  I can't be the only one who feels that the whole Persona 3 PSP thing was completely unnecessary (and yes, I have a PSP...no, I'm not going to get it).  I would much rather Atlus focused on making a new Persona game.

Oh btw, im not agains p3p because there is a great deal of new stuff :P, adding a female character is like a new persona 3 stylish game, so i'm happy with this "port", but i dont think they would do something like that in the other persona games ports, sorry to disappoint you xD.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: May 21, 2010, 01:37:33 AM »

The other side of the story is that, Japanese gamers didn't like the remake of the 1st Persona game for the PSP

Really? Why not?

I'd rather have SMT IV than Persona 5. I'm just finishing through a playthrough of Persona 4 for the good ending for the first time.

Persona 4 is hands down my favourite of the four games.

It would be nice to have something a little different. (Strange Journey helped)

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: May 21, 2010, 02:20:14 AM »

^Long story short: It was because the game didn't feel like the original in the PSone. Also, the music alone make a lot of people don't buy the game... and I can understand that, the music in the original make you feel like in some kind of "trance" while playing it.

The new arrangements are not bad, but most of the music is annoying after a while. I can't blame if someone doesn't like the soundtrack, Shoji was trying too hard... at least he did a badass remix in the production of the game of Reach Out to the Truth, this track is mostly a mix between two tracks of Persona PSP and Persona 4.

That track was published in the Japanese blogs of Atlus as you can see and I've never seen the track in any of the soundtracks of the series.

Oh well. With something bad, comes good stuff. :)
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: