Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 12:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327421 Posts in 13406 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 340730 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #870 on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »

^Long story short: It was because the game didn't feel like the original in the PSone. Also, the music alone make a lot of people don't buy the game... and I can understand that, the music in the original make you feel like in some kind of "trance" while playing it.

The new arrangements are not bad, but most of the music is annoying after a while. I can't blame if someone doesn't like the soundtrack, Shoji was trying too hard... at least he did a badass remix in the production of the game of Reach Out to the Truth, this track is mostly a mix between two tracks of Persona PSP and Persona 4.

That track was published in the Japanese blogs of Atlus as you can see and I've never seen the track in any of the soundtracks of the series.

Oh well. With something bad, comes good stuff. :)

Shoji trying to hard?  Personally, I thought he half assed most of the arrangements the soundtrack.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #871 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »

Lol i just can't imagine a persona game in the wii.... that would suck sooooOOooooOo much

Not really understanding this line of thought?  I'm pretty sure the system the game plays on has no impact on the actual quality of the game.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #872 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »

Lol i just can't imagine a persona game in the wii.... that would suck sooooOOooooOo much

Not really understanding this line of thought?  I'm pretty sure the system the game plays on has no impact on the actual quality of the game.

We are talking about wii, you know, least powerfull console in this gen... mostly a console made "just to have fun a little while", the only games i''ve been really into(after playing like 40 tittles at the most) ,with the wii, is Zelda, tales of symphony 2 (lol lagz in battles) and Rune Factory frontier, the other games are just "come play, fun, sensor detection controls, bye." with a generic story. I just can't (and dont want) to see a shin megami tensei on wii

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #873 on: May 21, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »

PSP is less powerful then Wii and you said you were fine with it.  Hence my confusion.

Also, since when does system power factor into anything ever?  Super Mario Galaxy looked and played amazing, and it was on the Wii.  Silent Hill: Shattered Memories had the best flashlight mechanic I've ever seen in a game, and it's on the "inferior" Wii.

And as for that final bit, that's just ignorance, really.  Just because the Wii happens to be the system with all the shovelware this gen (PS2 had it all last gen, and you didn't see THAT system getting any heat for it) doesn't mean Atlus is magically going to not try as hard if they were to make a game for it.  The Wii has as many or more awesome games then either of the other two HD systems, it's not the system's problem if you want to ignore that or if they don't exactly fit your tastes.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #874 on: May 21, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »

I think Atlus wouldn't release it on the Wii considering that with a few exceptions, "hardcore" games don't do well on the Wii. I have a Wii, but unfortunately it's the truth. MadWorld, Conduit, Dead Space Extraction, ... the only one that did well that comes to my mind is Resident Evil 4.

Considering this, Atlus knows their game won't release as well as a big budget RPG like Final Fantasy they try to go where people are considering buying it. For example, Valkyria Chronicles wasn't doing well at the beginning of its release, but it created some great legs and now is almost at a million. And the only games on the Wii with good legs I've seen so far have a nintendo brand on it

My hopes is that persona 5 comes to the ps3, for many reasons: my favorite is due to the large amount of data the Bluray disc can handle, Atlus USA can keep the japanese voices and the english ones (for those who like it). No more excuses of running out of space.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 21, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »

We are talking about wii, you know, least powerfull console in this gen...

As if MegaTen was ever about pushing technological limits.

I think Atlus wouldn't release it on the Wii considering that with a few exceptions, "hardcore" games don't do well on the Wii. I have a Wii, but unfortunately it's the truth. MadWorld, Conduit, Dead Space Extraction, ... the only one that did well that comes to my mind is Resident Evil 4.

These are all fundamentally different from what MegaTen goes for, and arguably each of them has a significant failing that kept them from catching on anyway.

- MadWorld is a strange, extremely stylistic game.
- Dead Space Extraction as an on rails shooter, a genre that isn't exactly beloved anymore, certainly not enough for most people to pay $50 for.
- No one liked Conduit.

With that said, I don't believe games closer to MegaTen's demographic like Little King's Story did particularly well either. However, MegaTen has traditionally been a console agnostic series. There have been platforms it generally gravitates to, yes, but no one should be livid if they throw a game to one platform then another to a different one. Unless it screws us out of localization, as Nine being on the Xbox may've caused.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #876 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »

The Wii is going to have Sin and Punishment 2, the console is already awesome in my eyes. :)

Shoji trying to hard?  Personally, I thought he half assed most of the arrangements the soundtrack.

Opinions are opinions, personally I think that the music of Persona PSP belongs more in a arrange album rather to put it in the game. I'm sure that in the development of the game they want to put the original soundtrack of the PSone version of the game at some point. But the new arrangements were too much content for the UMD they said... well shit, the ports of the Ys games on the PSP (Chronicles and Felghana, if I remember correctly) has a selection of soundtracks for you to choose.

Awesome music needs more respect Atlus.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #877 on: May 21, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »

Eusis already touched on this point, but almost all the "Mature" games that didin't do well ont he Wii wouldn't have done any better on the 360 or PS3.

Meanwhile, the Wii has several "Hardcore" games that have hit over a million, including RE4, at least two of the Medal of Honor games, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

But that said, you also have to understand that Wii games COST a lot less to produce in general, so they don't need to push a million to make a profit.  While a PS3 game might cost several million to make and require 1.5 million sales just to break even, several Wii games start making a profit around the 200k mark.  Like, for instance, Umbrella Chronicles, which didn't hit a million but still made a tidy enough profit for Capcom to want to make Darkside Chronicles, which itself made a handsome profit despite never hitting a million.

The Wii is a completely different business from the 360 and the PS3, and thinking in the same terms as on thsoe systems makes for a lot of faulty assumptions.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #878 on: May 21, 2010, 09:48:11 PM »

PSP is less powerful then Wii and you said you were fine with it.  Hence my confusion.

Also, since when does system power factor into anything ever?  Super Mario Galaxy looked and played amazing, and it was on the Wii.  Silent Hill: Shattered Memories had the best flashlight mechanic I've ever seen in a game, and it's on the "inferior" Wii.

And as for that final bit, that's just ignorance, really.  Just because the Wii happens to be the system with all the shovelware this gen (PS2 had it all last gen, and you didn't see THAT system getting any heat for it) doesn't mean Atlus is magically going to not try as hard if they were to make a game for it.  The Wii has as many or more awesome games then either of the other two HD systems, it's not the system's problem if you want to ignore that or if they don't exactly fit your tastes.

I have a wii, so i know,  i couldnt play any game without getting lagged or having 2 or 3 suddenly stops because "the data was corrupted" or "cant read disc" on a new game, i dont know about mario galaxy but, is "mario" nintendo is made for mario xD, well this is baseless, but is truth that i always get lag playing on the wii, even playing harvest moon. All the wii games ive played, looks  like the ps2 games in my opinion.
PSP may not be as strong as the wii, but i think is close, besides, psp is portable :D
Of course im not saying i dislike the wii, there are great games, but these series are not for the wii....

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #879 on: May 22, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »

The PSP is doing really good in Japan. Numerous times it's outselling even the Wii, PS3 and DS, so it's probably a good choice, for there at least. Here in the west ... I'm not so sure.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: May 22, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »

The thought of getting a wii never even crossed my mind but I'd get one for P5. I hope it's on the PS3 though because that would make my life a lot easier.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 22, 2010, 01:15:51 PM »

The PSP is doing really good in Japan. Numerous times it's outselling even the Wii, PS3 and DS, so it's probably a good choice, for there at least. Here in the west ... I'm not so sure.

It's worth remembering just WHO has these systems. It's not unlikely that most of the people inclined to play a Persona have a PSP anyway.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 22, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »

My wii is gathering dust and next to it sits my pS2, which is getting infinite more use (still). The idea of a MegaTen on the Wii is intriguing, but I still can't picture it.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #883 on: May 22, 2010, 07:49:49 PM »

My wii is gathering dust and next to it sits my pS2, which is getting infinite more use (still). The idea of a MegaTen on the Wii is intriguing, but I still can't picture it.

I can't see it either. From time to time I play my Wii but I gotta be honest, most games that come for it I wouldn't want them even if they were free.
The 360 is not good in Japan, so it wouldn't work, and besides, that announcement of P5 was in a Playstation magazine, so it's likely for it to come on either PSP or PS3.
I personally would like much more to see it on PS3, as I'm anxious to see what Atlus can do with a stronger hardware, especially as this may be the ground for many SMT games to come.

Imagine how much the dungeons from Persona 4 could look like if made for PS3. In PS2 they were already full of details and care, especially the last ones.

The thing I'm really curious to see is how the characters models will look. I'd much rather they look like DBZ, Tales of Vesperia, more anime like, than those "almost" human but animeish.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 22, 2010, 09:32:27 PM »

besides, that announcement of P5 was in a Playstation magazine, so it's likely for it to come on either PSP or PS3.
Ah yes. I remember this when we reported the P5/'new Persona' thing.

I personally would like much more to see it on PS3, as I'm anxious to see what Atlus can do with a stronger hardware, especially as this may be the ground for many SMT games to come.

Imagine how much the dungeons from Persona 4 could look like if made for PS3. In PS2 they were already full of details and care, especially the last ones.
I'd love to see what Atlus can do with what the PS3 offers. Nothing against the PSP, but they've done the Persona and P3 remakes on it already. I'd like to see them really try something new, and a new platform would sure help with that :P

For me, it's about picturing something like Nocturne - and imagining music and dungeon designs similar to that, but updated to make good use of the PS3's hardware.

The thing I'm really curious to see is how the characters models will look. I'd much rather they look like DBZ, Tales of Vesperia, more anime like, than those "almost" human but animeish.
I'm not sure how I'd feel about SMT characters having a more 'anime' look. To me they'd lose the SMT feel a little depending on the design, they've always had a realistic element. ...Except maybe Devil Survivor, but that wasn't so bad. Just felt 'kid'-ish.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: