Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 09:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331662 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 357810 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »

Strange Journey has some issues that I hate the most in Dragon Quest games.

I'm sure there's logic behind this statement but I'm not seeing it.

There ARE things I find tiring about Strange Journey -- like P3, some of the sidequests have really bizarre, bizarre... bizarreness, and the hidden door thing is irritating as hell -- but the random encounters aren't one of those things. They're just too fast paced for them to bother me.

And as previously mentioned, using auto battle against old enemies cause battles to end in a matter of seconds.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:41:48 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: June 10, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »

Persona 3 & 4 Keychains has been announced!

Is kinda wierd that there's no keychain of Thanatos... or Junpei.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: June 14, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »

I probably should have asked this a while ago but oh well
I've been playing persona 4 a lot recently, and having trouble leveling up margaret's social link
she wants me to make Ippon-Datara with sukukaja and I already did that
each time I try it, she doesn't seem to notice that it's already done
am I missing something that would help me level it up?
it's really frustrating for me

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: June 14, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »

I probably should have asked this a while ago but oh well
I've been playing persona 4 a lot recently, and having trouble leveling up margaret's social link
she wants me to make Ippon-Datara with sukukaja and I already did that
each time I try it, she doesn't seem to notice that it's already done
am I missing something that would help me level it up?
it's really frustrating for me

I took it from a FAQ for all the request from people, Marageth and the Fox

=========================================================
Request No.1
Make a Ippon-datara(Hermit) with the Skill Sukukaja

Required Lv 17
Possible Fusions
(Temperance) Sylph(Sukukaja) X (Justice) Archangel
(Death) Ghoul(LV10:Sukukaja) X (Fool) Obariyon
=========================================================

Well, these have to be made from fusions, but I'm not sure if this particular persona can learn Sukukaja from scratch.
I don't know if you're aware, but when fusing personas, if you get out of the screen before accepting and then go back, the skills your new persona will learn will change, so once you know which personas to use, it's quite easy.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: June 14, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »

I believe you have to actually have the Persona in your roster.  If you made it and fused it, you need to re-summon it.  Or, if you forgot to save the skillset, then you'll need to make it again.

And those keychains are hideous.  Just give me a Naoto and Yosuke resin statue already, nobody cares about Rise.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: June 14, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

nobody cares about Rise.

I do.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
lordyuanshu
Walkthrough FAQ Guides

TecmoSuperBowl
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: June 15, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »

With Strange Journey I end up using the Enemy Welcome Sub-App because I'd rather fight enemies faster than have to walk around and around to get a battle to commence. For bosses like Ouroboros you're going to have to grind to get good demons either way so I'd rather do it gradually over the course of the sector than have to do it all at once and get burnt out from it.

Made it to Grus Sector; Drake Tiamat took a while to beat with 4500+ HP but at least didn't trounce me for hours like version 2 of Ouroboros.

CosmicSisyphus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: June 18, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »

Well, I just completed DDS 1 and 2. I was surprised by the amount of Hindu and Buddhist allusions. I liked the main theme of pantheism and the ending.

Digital Devil Saga is the story about reaching Nirvana through Moksha ("reincarnation"). Moksha is depicted as breaking the cycle of data reincarnation, or commonly known as Samsara, and becoming one with the supreme being. In the cutscene revealing Serph's past, Schroedinger clarifies on this concept, "All things in this world are composed of data. Human beings, you, myself, even the world itself... Data originates from God, and to God it returns. This is the cycle of universe. Beyond this knowledge lies enlightenment--understanding what is truly important..." In Digital Devil Saga 2's ending, Seraph unites with Brahman, which is immanent within all things.

I would like to emphasize on the difference between pantheism and panentheism. In Loving Ganesha, Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami clarified on the difference between pantheism and panentheism:

Panenetheism: "all-in-God doctrine." The view that the universe is part of the being of God, as distinguished from pantheism ("all-is-God doctrine"), which identifies God with the total reality. In contrast, panentheism holds that God pervades the world, but is also beyond it. He is immanent and transcendent, relative and Absolute. This embracing of opposites is called dipolar. For the panentheist, God is in all, and all is in God (478).

Panentheism considers God to be immanent within all creation and our universe as a part of a transcendent God whereas pantheism equates God and the universe to be coextensive, the assertion it IS God. The former believes in the immanence and transcendence of God whilst the latter believes God and the universe to be the same implying the "abandonment of a transcendent deity" (Wood).

After Seraph proves himself/herself to Brahma, s/he attains enlightenment by uniting with it. Thus, Seraph breaks the cycle of data reincarnation.

The reason Seraph sees images of history and war is due to the recognition of how divisions create meaningless strife. Rather than embracing the fact “all we need is one word”, people created illusory divisions and murdered each other. Thus, they were incapable of breaking the cycle of data reincarnation as Schroedinger outside indicated: “Until they realize it [the perfect unity as embodied by one word which serves as a metaphor for Brahman], their suffering will never end… The solar data will simply recycle them endlessly, for all eternity.”

Seraph becomes one with Brahman, which permeates all of reality, hence the quote "I am you, you are me." This is a popular saying in both pantheism and panentheism because it indicates a lack of distinction between persons (i.g., interconnectedness). Furthermore, Seraph realizes we are all manifestations of a singular universal axiom. You do not name a tree by its leaves, so you cannot name yourself by your body. I can pluck off a leaf and say, "This is a part of a mighty oak," but that does not make the leaf an oak or the oak a leaf. They are both nothing without the other and everything together

The concept of LOGOS and Brahman are similar, as are many religious concepts from around the world. If you study Hinduism, Buddhism, and Heracliitus' philosophy, you'd see many similarities, one being the notion of interconnectedness and God embodying all of reality and its axioms. In panentheism, God's role extends further than this, for it is also immanent and transcendent. It underlies every material process and more. In Digital Devil Saga 2, it is blatantly stated all data originates from God only to be recycled. By attaining enlightenment, one unites with the panentheistic God and goes beyond the cycle of data.

Seraph’s quote "You are the world, the world is myself” indicates she overcame Maya ("illusion of a false dichotomy of self and the universe") by recognizing there is no distinction between physical matter (“the world”) and consciousness (“myself” and other beings). An equivalent claim would be that the universe is the subject, from an analytic philosophy perspective. The consequences are interesting. It means that w're, fundamentally, physical contingencies, and we're all the same kind of physical contingency. Jayaram elaborates on this concept, "In [Brahman's] role as Concealer, He unleashes the power of Maya... to conceal Himself from what He creates [data] and delude all the living beings (jivas) into thinking that what they experience through their senses is true and that they are independent of the objects and other beings they perceive through their senses. Maya therefore causes ignorance and through ignorance perpetuates the notion of duality, which is responsible for our bondage and mortality upon earth." The phenomenology of enlightenment, by overcoming the Maya, is best described through a popular ocean metaphor:

"Imagine a drop of water. You are that drop of water. When you become enlightened that drop of water is placed into the ocean. You become the ocean and the ocean is you. The ocean in this case would be all of existence. You do not cease to exist, you become everything" (Figament).

The best way to describe it is you feel yourself expanding. The chair becomes the desk and the desk is now the chair. Your hand doesn't end when you pick up the glass, and the water inside is already in your veins before you ever drink it. This probably explains why Schrodinger possessed the ability to turn into a cat since he gained power over data.

Finally, Seraph decides to transverse among other dimensions helping other other beings attain enlightenment. I believe the terminals on Brahman symbolize infinity, hence it spans across all dimension. The terminals provided access to Amala Network (a place that connects all probable dimensions and outcomes) in Shin Megami Tensei: Network.

Works Cited

Figament. "Differences between Mahavira and Buddha?" Yahoo! Answers. N.p., 2009. Web. 20 Jun 2010. [http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090328121631AA4Egrp].

Jayaram. "Delusion - The Power of Maya and The Nature of Reality." Hindu Website. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jun 2010. [http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_maya.asp].

Shin Megami Tensei: Digtial Devil Saga 2. Atlus, 2005. DVD.

Subramuniya, Subramuniya. Loving Ganesa. Himalayan Academy Publications, 2000. 478. Print.

Wood, Harold. "Pantheism and Panentheism." Pantheist Net. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jun 2010. [http://www.pantheist.net/society/panentheism.html].

The story was incredible and intelligent unlike most Japanese RPGS. I’m disappointed by how Persona 3 and 4 no longer follow Carl Jung’s psychology. Persona 2 was chock-full of allusions and actually possessed a more literate story.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:47:39 PM by CosmicSisyphus » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: June 18, 2010, 09:32:03 PM »

P2 was more about Jung. P3 was more about how modern life turns you into a manipulative jackass without any real personality underneath the myriad of public personae you create to get what you want, or at least that's how I saw it.

Personally I just want a remake of P1 and P2 where you have Nocturne-quality dungeons, though. I mean, I voiced this issue before, but the longish battles didn't bug me in P1. The Americanization didn't bug me. Being easier and having a lower encounter rate? Shit no that was a *good* thing. Black Mark? I fucking loved Blark. The overworld map? Sorta slow but I liked how trippy it looked. The music? I loved the original music.

And they changed all that and left the stupid dungeons the same. Waargh :(

P2's dungeons were only slightly better on the scale of "random confusing mazes".

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: June 22, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »

Well, since Atlus announced their support for the 3DS and mentioned their persona franchise, we could hope for the best, Persona 2 (both of them) and hopefully truly remade, with 3D graphics and with a bearable encounter rate.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:49 AM »

Please tell me someone else here got P3P.

I got the only non-reserved copy, but I'm still pretty early in. I don't mind the changes so far and there's enough changes to feel sort of new. Oh and apparently Theodore's voice actor sucks. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:45 AM »

Please tell me someone else here got P3P.

I got the only non-reserved copy, but I'm still pretty early in. I don't mind the changes so far and there's enough changes to feel sort of new. Oh and apparently Theodore's voice actor sucks. :P

That means you got a PSP?  YAY!!!  What color did you end up with?

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 08, 2010, 01:40:26 AM »

I got the white (Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines) bundle :) It was far less embarrassing to buy that than ...certain other PSP bundles (though I got carded since AC2 is rated M... :P) and $150 for the whole thing.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: July 08, 2010, 02:40:51 AM »

hehe I knew you'd cave for a SMT game - that and we all know the Junpei s. link is just too tempting to pass up. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 08, 2010, 02:56:49 AM »

Two SMT games! If I get around to buying Persona, that is. Oh and I've already started that social link. I know he's not DATEable, but while every girl drools over Akihiko (why I don't know), Junpei is just more fun. ;)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: