Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 375077 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »

If anything, Kanji's sexuallity only came up after the Bathhouse because Yosuke wouldn't stop mentioning it. I've met a few "straight" guys who when they actually meet a gay guy constantly bring up their sexuality because, really, they have something they want to get off their chest. I've had this conversation with at least 3 guys, I have learned to just be polite when it happens.

"So, you're gay?"

"Yeah."

"Me too."

"Oh?"

"HAHAHAHAH, omg no! I was KIDDING. Geezus! Hahaha....heh..."

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: September 17, 2010, 11:29:15 PM »

WTF is his name Kanji anyway?

If I ever have kids I'm naming them Alphabet and Abjad. Unless one is a girl in which case I'm naming her Eggnog. And if the other one's also a girl I'm naming her Sproot.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: September 17, 2010, 11:36:18 PM »

Something about a little girl named Eggnog running around makes me giggle. (til she hit's 12, then you frown and wonder)

Japanese are notorious for this, no?
Bleach's main character is named (I like to put a Pimp-twist to it and say it in a Barry White tone) Strawbeeerry.  Venus and Braves had the leads Blood, Vivid and Ariah.  Xenoblade has Shulk and Florung (say that ten times fast).  And I'm pretty sure our next heavy-hitting JRPG will have a lead idiot named Chair or some sort of appliance.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1008 on: September 17, 2010, 11:50:18 PM »

WTF is his name Kanji anyway?

If I ever have kids I'm naming them Alphabet and Abjad. Unless one is a girl in which case I'm naming her Eggnog. And if the other one's also a girl I'm naming her Sproot.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: September 18, 2010, 12:57:21 AM »

There are a lot of puns in Japanese.  Get used to it.

Kanji (the name) is not written with the same characters as kanji (the characters).  It just happens to sound the same.  For that matter neither is Ichigo from Bleach written with the same characters as strawberry.

And just to be clear here, this is not a JRPG/anime thing.  These are real names.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: September 18, 2010, 01:03:01 AM »

Oh sort of like how Chad from Bleach isn't a http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/cards/collection/chadhang.jpg ? I guess that makes sense.

Still seems pretty weird to me though.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1011 on: September 18, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »

Something about a little girl named Eggnog running around makes me giggle. (til she hit's 12, then you frown and wonder)

Bleach's main character is named (I like to put a Pimp-twist to it and say it in a Barry White tone) Strawbeeerry.  Venus and Braves had the leads Blood, Vivid and Ariah.  Xenoblade has Shulk and Florung (say that ten times fast).  And I'm pretty sure our next heavy-hitting JRPG will have a lead idiot named Chair or some sort of appliance.

I don't want to sound rude, so don't take it personal but Ichigo (苺) is not only strawberry but in the case of the main characters, while it does sound the same as strawberry it has different meaning as it is written with different kanji (一護) the first means ONE the other means PROTECT, SAFEGUARD, so, the one who protects.

I'm not trying to be bitching about it, but even though it may sound weird for us (the average non japanese speaker, or even a begginer) it usually has more then meets the eye, or in this case, the ear :)

Especially those mangakas (creators, writers, etc) they try to give the character a name that appeals to the idea they have. Another fine example is the main character from Death note, Yagami Light, especially his last name, and they mention it A LOT in the anime. 夜神 the first kanji, means NIGHT and the means GOD. You put them together and you have a badass name or at least a badass meaning for your name.

Even regular people sometimes have names like this, they just change the reading of the kanjis to something more usual a thing that in manga, anime etc you don't have to, or sometimes don't even want to, because you want the fans to make note of it.

This have happened to me quite sometimes, but as my vocabulary of japanese grew you see those nuances and it all makes sense.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: September 19, 2010, 05:31:33 AM »

Bleach's main character is named (I like to put a Pimp-twist to it and say it in a Barry White tone) Strawbeeerry.

Only is you ignore the kanji. And hey, this isn't unique. It happens in RL too. It's always weird seeing myself on the ingredients lists of exotic candy date flavored candy. I happen to like dates :(

Venus and Braves had the leads Blood, Vivid and Ariah.  Xenoblade has Shulk and Florung (say that ten times fast).  And I'm pretty sure our next heavy-hitting JRPG will have a lead idiot named Chair or some sort of appliance.

There's also Kharg. Try pronouning that without sounding like you're going to vomit.

Which Tales game was the one with the villain named Spot? I always imagine him as a cute black and white puppy with a red scarf.

Especially those mangakas (creators, writers, etc) they try to give the character a name that appeals to the idea they have. Another fine example is the main character from Death note, Yagami Light, especially his last name, and they mention it A LOT in the anime. 夜神 the first kanji, means NIGHT and the means GOD. You put them together and you have a badass name or at least a badass meaning for your name.

Also, Yagami = I'm a gay :P

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:31:07 PM by Tomara » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: September 19, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »

Ichigo

Okay so what do strawberries have to do with protection or the number 1 though!?

Kharg

Dutch much?

Yagami

I'm a gay.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: September 19, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »

changing subject, I've gone back to play Strange Journey after saying I would drop it. While I still have my complains about the dungeon crawling aspects of it, it is really fun if I don't push the 40 min mark. In short bursts I'm finding this game to be a blast. After spending more than 20 hours on it and reaching half of the game and I keep going back to it I just can't say I don't like it (or else I would have dropped it sooner).

I finally got my hands of DDS 1, and when I played about 30 minutes of it I knew I'd love it but I have to finish a game before starting this one or else my head will explode. I already have 3 SMT games started (Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona 3 Portable and even Persona 1 on psp but this one I'll hardly get back).

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: September 20, 2010, 05:03:20 AM »

changing subject, I've gone back to play Strange Journey after saying I would drop it. While I still have my complains about the dungeon crawling aspects of it, it is really fun if I don't push the 40 min mark. In short bursts I'm finding this game to be a blast. After spending more than 20 hours on it and reaching half of the game and I keep going back to it I just can't say I don't like it (or else I would have dropped it sooner).

I finally got my hands of DDS 1, and when I played about 30 minutes of it I knew I'd love it but I have to finish a game before starting this one or else my head will explode. I already have 3 SMT games started (Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona 3 Portable and even Persona 1 on psp but this one I'll hardly get back).

I've crossed the 30 hours mark in DDS1. The game keeps on getting better and better, and I'm having a blast!

But if you play MetgaTen game after MegaTen game you'll get SMT'd out.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 20, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »

I've crossed the 30 hours mark in DDS1. The game keeps on getting better and better, and I'm having a blast!

I find this was only true for me when I played Persona 3 and 4 back to back. I was sick of P4 before the last dungeon. It probably depends on which SMT and how long it is, I enjoyed playing DDS 1, 2 and Nocturne all in succession with some Devil Survivor on the side. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: September 20, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »

I find this was only true for me when I played Persona 3 and 4 back to back. I was sick of P4 before the last dungeon. It probably depends on which SMT and how long it is, I enjoyed playing DDS 1, 2 and Nocturne all in succession with some Devil Survivor on the side. :)

I kind of agree with you here. When I first got P4, I had just done finished P3FES, and it I was not able to finish P4 due to that, even though I think it's an overall better game than P3 was. I have since finished it now, but I put it down for months. I managed to go from Nocturne, DDS1 and 2, and Devil Summoner all in succession no problem though.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: September 20, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »

I've been playing nothing but SMT games for the past year. Maybe longer. I've managed to finish the DDS series, Devil Survivor, P3, Devil Summoner and Strange Journey. I'm working on P4 right now, then I'm going to go back to P2:EP, then finally finish up P1 for PSP. I've taken little breaks in between, but I've always had an SMT game going on the side.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: September 20, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »

I'd say that I agree with you about it being easy to get burnt out on SJ in long play sessions although I usually only have the attention span to play MOST games in 20-40 minute bursts. Although I WAS marathoning SJ in the beginning (12 hours in like the first two or three days. How the FUCK did I do that...)

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: