Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 05:52:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331616 Posts in 13577 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 357560 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: October 15, 2010, 02:14:04 AM »

I've played plenty of imports. It doesn't bother me. My Japanese has never been great, but it used to be better than it is now -  especially since I no longer study it. Menus I can get around. Story, I find a translation.. or pick up bits here and there.

I bought it a little while ago off of Ebay. As far as playing it goes this might help.

That is quite handy. Bookmarking, thanks :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: October 15, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »

I see. Well in P4 you go to a different dungeon for each story arc.

I bet you want to skip P3 now after learning that fact.

The dungeons in P4 are similar except with a different "theme." After the third dungeon in P4 I started getting tired of it. Matter of fact, I stopped playing altogether and looked up the ending and who the killer was. Between the dungeons and social links it started getting boring.

I think a few social links is okay, but I think having more than a few makes it tedious and unnecessary. After a while it starts to lose the fun factor.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1067 on: October 15, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

You gave up after the third dungeon? What's that...like...the sauna?

Ah, well. Can't please everyone, I found P4 far from boring though, and I loved the social links. Except maybe the Strength and Sun ones.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: October 15, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »

I forget which ones Strength and Sun were. Chie and Teddie? My favorite were the Dojima links, though.

I hated the dungeon layouts though. Long hallways with random rooms off to the side = boring. My favorite was the video game dungeon though.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:37:49 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: October 15, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »

Nah, the Strength one was your choice of the two sports guys. I forget their names, Basketball guy (more interesting of the two) and soccer guy.

The Sun was the either the drama club or the music club. I liked the shy girl in the music club better than the angsty girl in the drama club.

Chie was the Chariot S.link I think, and Teddie was the Star.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: October 15, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »

I chose the soccer guy and angsty drama girl. Fail. I often forget it's not like P3 where you get the same characters no matter what club you choose.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: October 16, 2010, 02:11:43 AM »

You gave up after the third dungeon? What's that...like...the sauna?

Ah, well. Can't please everyone, I found P4 far from boring though, and I loved the social links. Except maybe the Strength and Sun ones.

I went through the story up right before the fourth dungeon.

I do like the story and some social links. I just feel like the pacing, some social links (less is more), and the dungeons keep me from wanting to continue on.....at least for now. I may end up finishing it at a later time.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: October 16, 2010, 02:20:25 AM »

I went through the story up right before the fourth dungeon.

I do like the story and some social links. I just feel like the pacing, some social links (less is more), and the dungeons keep me from wanting to continue on.....at least for now. I may end up finishing it at a later time.

I can relate, to an extent.  After a while I start thinking of social links less as "spending time with friends" (as I did my very first time through P3) and think of them more as tools to further my means and strength.  Then I start planning out the order of who I visit and whatnot.  If my MC was a real person, he would be incredibly twisted.

That said, Dojima's SL was easily the highlight of P4 for me.  I also ended up liking Kanji a lot more during his SL than any time during the main game.

On the other hand, I actually found this somewhat cured in P3P.  The mShe has probably 75% of her social links with story-related characters and very few with just the average classmate. The new Moon link is great, and "Fortune" was somewhat twisted, but I loved it anyway.  But, on the other hand, the Female SLs (Mitsuru, Yukari, and especially Fuuka) were absolutely butchered and their original impact lost.  Fuuka's MShe SL was probably the worst they've made so far.  The one classmate that I feel actually got an improvement from MShe was the Emperor, who I came to respect a good deal more.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 02:28:37 AM by Cyril » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 16, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »

So I caved and bought if... . $30 can't go wrong, not like I can get onto the JPSN anyways. This is gonna be interesting. :D

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: October 16, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »

With me ther ewere only a few SL I didn't enjoy. Interesting is that some mentioned the drama club girl as their favorite, for me she in the beginning was one of the most boring for me, but she does get a lot better halfway through.
I think my favorite were, first the nurse, the way she's always teasing you and all and second Rise, she's just so cute and trying to get off of showbiz and getting to a normal life. I found it incredibly interesting because japanese people give a lot of attention to those idols, even younger, not that famous, as if every one of them counts, so it seems like they put a character that felt like the most improbable to be put in a game and yet she was wonderful.

As the dungeons, my favorite was the one when
spoiler
Nanako gets kidnapped

The song "Heaven" which keeps playing is so beautiful and sad that I could not wait to see what happened next.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: October 16, 2010, 10:40:28 PM »

With me ther ewere only a few SL I didn't enjoy. Interesting is that some mentioned the drama club girl as their favorite, for me she in the beginning was one of the most boring for me, but she does get a lot better halfway through.
I think my favorite were, first the nurse, the way she's always teasing you and all and second Rise, she's just so cute and trying to get off of showbiz and getting to a normal life. I found it incredibly interesting because japanese people give a lot of attention to those idols, even younger, not that famous, as if every one of them counts, so it seems like they put a character that felt like the most improbable to be put in a game and yet she was wonderful.

As the dungeons, my favorite was the one when
spoiler
Nanako gets kidnapped

The song "Heaven" which keeps playing is so beautiful and sad that I could not wait to see what happened next.

I actually said angsty girl and soccer boy were my least favourite ones.

My favourite ones were Death and Hierophant

Death actually got me pretty teary-eyed. I really connected with that one because I knew how Hisano felt, when my grandpa was really ill towards the end, it was tearing the whole family apart watching him slowly lose himself more and more. I remember just wishing he would die, and leave us alone. Then when it actually happened, I felt like I had in someway, attributed to his death.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:45:50 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: October 17, 2010, 01:14:46 AM »

I

Fucking

Hated

That

Song.

So.  Much.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:59 AM »

Bryan adams does suck, yeah.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: October 20, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »

I really have no idea where to begin w/ this series. Just saw this thread and will read it all. Hopefully that will help explain the damn difference between summoner, digital saga, e-t-fucking-c.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:42 PM »

...but there's no way in hell I'm reading 72 pages of this. Any kind soul want to give me a good breakdown? There seem to be a great deal of similarities between all SMT games.

I'm working my way through Strange Journey and while fun there are certain things keeping me from going all out. Conversing w/ the demons to be mostly guesswork as they seem to respond randomly to what you pick.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: