Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327939 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 343529 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: October 20, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »

The encounter rate in P1 is overkill and the battle take way too long for a rate this high.

This is why you play the original PSX translation, where the encounter rate is fairly *low*.

I got sort of tired of P2: EP roughly around the time you get Nate in your party. Or shortly thereafter? I was in some shopping mall dungeon. I think. I got pissed off by the stupid map completion sidequest going on since it amounted to tedious busy work. Yes, I know it was optional, but still. Also I felt there were balance issues of some sort. Namely in terms of physical attacks being *fairly* useless except in the rare case of you encountering some enemy that was null magic across the board.

I actually got tired of P3 pretty fast. It gets pretty repetitive, especially if you try to do the Velvet Room requests that come up, since way too many of them are just based around random drops. Also I really got the feeling that the choices I made in the SLink bits had no real affect. As I've mentioned before I don't think you could actually LOWER your SLink rating by being a jackass, which sort of bugged me, and, for that matter, I don't really recall any of the SLinks having an affect on eachother. It largely just led to you playing as a sort of sycophant which was really the thematic point but it rendered the gameplay less interesting than it could've been.

The game needed a sort of moral alignment thing only instead of good/neutral/evil, it should've been based on how much you developed a consistent personality and how chameleonic you were. Maybe it had this later. I don't know. I don't think it did.

Actually I think a problem you could level at most of the SMT games is that they reach a certain point where you're just calling off magic spells based on what sort of enemy data you have come up on the streen. "Oh, that enemy's weak to ice. I'll just blast it with agi."

Somehow I recall Nocturne being immune to this, as well as the DDS games. Devil Survivor actually was too, to an extent, because of how party composition worked.

P3 and SMT: SJ and I presume strange journey were really bad about this though.

I actually haven't played P1 since I was a freshman in college so it's probably terrible and I'm just runnin' off good memories. Whatevz. I do recall finding its story sort of incomprehensible.

I never had any idea what the fuck was going on in EP though. EP seems like the kind of game where you have to actually know about Japanese culture to make sense of it. Or not. I seriously remember nothing about it and I was playing it like two years ago.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: October 20, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »

The encounter rate in P1 is overkill and the battle take way too long for a rate this high.
This is why you play the original PSX translation, where the encounter rate is fairly *low*.
Don't tell anyone to play that game what's wrong with you! XD The original Playstation localization was horrible! In fact it's pretty much the worst video game localization I've come across ever. The re-release is so much more fateful to the original material including the high encounter rate. :P But it's not as much of a problem if you use "Estoma."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:01:29 PM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 20, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »

You can't lower your S-link but you can reverse and actually break your s-link entirely. I reversed s-links all the time because my MC was a manslut, and I broke Mitsuru's link entirely at one point. (I reset the game, so I don't know how you fix it when it's broken.) Tartarus was repetitive but I liked everything else in P3, it just all wore thin on me by the time I got ten hours into P4.

There is no alignment in P3. That's saved for the mainline SMTs but I'm not sure if Strange Journey also deals with alignment. I liked how Nocturne handled it.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: October 20, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »

Persona 2, I STILL haven't beaten it, but it's supposed to be awesome. Downside: It's EXPENSIVE on eBay.
The Persona 2 duology is every bit as good as Persona 3 and 4. Don't let anyone tell you different! XD As far as price goes Eternal Punishment can be anywhere from 70 to 80 dollars I believe. But it's worth it! Innocent Sin is a bit cheaper though. I bought my copy for like 49 dollars.

70 to 80? Wow! You're right. That reprint price faded fast. I'm glad I've kept my copy this whole time. I'll never let it go!

I started playing Innocent Sin a long time ago, but my computer ended up dying and I lost it :(

"Oh, a hunter..."
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: October 21, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »

Devil Summoner 1 & 2 are action RPGs, unlike all the others they're not a 'modern' setting. They're.. I dunno, some other period in Japan. They look like a LOT of fun though and I wanna play them. That's all I know.

They're set during the Taisho period.  1920s Japan.  It is, in my opinion anyway, a very interesting setting.  Japan was in the middle of undergoing massive changes as there was a big push to rapidly modernize and westernize.  All kinds of technology was just being introduced so you have a big mix of the new (for then, anyway) and traditional.  People on wearing traditional kimono next to people in western business suits on the train, that kind of thing.  I wish more video games would explore settings like that.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: October 21, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »

devil summoner 2 is my favorite shumiamitassen game after nocturn.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: October 22, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »

Digital devil saga > Devil summoner

DS is great but it's the weakest link imo.

The DDS games or Persona 3 FES would be a good start. Nocturne is a bit hard but it's a fucking masterpiece. Persona 4 is my favorite game ever so yeah, it's great.

Maybe you could do it like this:

Persona 3 FES
DDS1 & DDS2
Persona 4
Nocturne

Playing both personas back to back would be a bit much so this would allow you to mix it up and save the hardest game for last.
After playing all these masterpieces you coud check out the devil summoner games.

Don't forget Devil survivor, it's fantastic.

If you like P3&4 you could check out Persona 1 on the PSP, I'm not a big fan of the game myself but you might like it more, who knows?
The PSP also has persona 3 portable but since you own a PS2 you should go with FES, imo.

Let's see, that should take about... 400 hours, probably more.

I'll probably play Persona 3 on the PSP because it seems to have the best of the game going for it. I'm going to wait on that then since I have Oath in Felghana preordered and I want Persona to drop in price.

Going to start w/ DDS!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: October 22, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »

Digital devil saga > Devil summoner

DS is great but it's the weakest link imo.

The DDS games or Persona 3 FES would be a good start. Nocturne is a bit hard but it's a fucking masterpiece. Persona 4 is my favorite game ever so yeah, it's great.

Maybe you could do it like this:

Persona 3 FES
DDS1 & DDS2
Persona 4
Nocturne

Playing both personas back to back would be a bit much so this would allow you to mix it up and save the hardest game for last.
After playing all these masterpieces you coud check out the devil summoner games.

Don't forget Devil survivor, it's fantastic.

If you like P3&4 you could check out Persona 1 on the PSP, I'm not a big fan of the game myself but you might like it more, who knows?
The PSP also has persona 3 portable but since you own a PS2 you should go with FES, imo.

Let's see, that should take about... 400 hours, probably more.

I'll probably play Persona 3 on the PSP because it seems to have the best of the game going for it. I'm going to wait on that then since I have Oath in Felghana preordered and I want Persona to drop in price.

Going to start w/ DDS!

P3P does have some significant improvements over the PS2 version as far as gameplay is concerned but personally I can't recomend it over P3FES. In the PS2 version you see fully animated characters on the screen and have some cool anime cutscenes for the more epic moments, in P3P it's just character portraits and text, I think it takes away from the more powerful moments. Instead of seeing Junpei summoning his persona and throwing a fireball into the villains face, you get a line of text saying "junpei attacked the villain" and some sound in the background. Towards the end there are some really epic moments that lose most of their impact in the PSP version.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: October 22, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »

Yikes. Never mind then! I'll stick w/ PS2 version then.

I'm going to have to get the component cable for sure then. I have the standard AV cable and that looks like a bag of shit on the hdtv.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: October 22, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

Yikes. Never mind then! I'll stick w/ PS2 version then.

I'm going to have to get the component cable for sure then. I have the standard AV cable and that looks like a bag of shit on the hdtv.

Before anyone else says that I'm misleading you, keep in mind that in P3P you have direct control over your party members like in P4 and a fast travel button also imported from P4. That's why I recommended playing P3 before P4, it's not because of the story but because you might miss these things if you played P4 before P3.
But if you're not used to it you wont miss it when you play P3 and I think it pays off because of the things I mentioned in my previous post.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: October 22, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »

I played Persona 4 first, then Persona 3 FES and I enjoyed it just as much, so I think P3 manages to make up for the improvements P4 made with all the little extras P4 didn't have.

I also recommend the PS2 version.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: October 22, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »

I'd actually say P3P is probably a better introduction to the series than FES because of how easy it is due to the direct control.  The game was designed for AI and the enemy difficulty wasn't tweaked to accommodate the change, so having direct control makes the game far too easy, by SMT standards (IE: I was 5-10 levels too low for most of the game on Hard mode and didn't have any problems finishing it when it would have stopped me in my tracks in FES).
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: October 22, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »

P3...I used to say it was crap, but then I started playing it again, eventually beating both The Journey and The Answer. I can now say after beating it, that the gameplay's decent, but...let's just say if I share what I think of the story, certain people will be very upset. The last time I gave my full opinion of something that I didn't like but everyone else did here at RPGFan, I got assaulted beyond belief, so if you want my full opinion, feel free to PM me.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: October 22, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »

Come on man, just share your opinion. This is just the internet one time or another you're gonna get trolled, so who cares ?
Especially when you're not arguing about some pointless thing with someone, you're just expressing your opinion. There's a certain someone here on the forums who goes rampage about anyone who likes FFXIII and I did like the game. I among some other have managed to get hit by his "collateral damage", but do you think I care about this ? NO. I don't give a rat's ass and just move on to the next topic. Simple as that.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 22, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »

Don't know why it should be such a big deal when opinions differ. Someone's always going to disagree, and sometimes an unpopular opinion is refreshing.

I'm fine with the story, not GREATEST EVAR but I enjoyed some of the characters and the minor interactions more, like the s-links and events and field trips.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: