Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319656 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 323547 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1245 on: November 04, 2010, 05:00:16 PM »

All this time here and I never mentioned that SMT: Strange Journey was my all time favorite in the series! It's hard to say why, but I just found that it did everything just right for me. The atmosphere and story was interesting, I liked the characters and found them to be very believable, and the dialogue choices felt like I had a say in the game, even if most were relatively inconsequential. I also liked exploring the dungeons and found them to be well-crafted with something new and creative being introduced at every new area I went to. The side quests were pretty neat, too, and I liked how they kinda tied into the main story, sorta. And of course, I loved the battles, equipmentment system negotiating, and fusing demons. I'm only about halfway in, but I've already put plenty of time into it just trying to get a stronger party and obtain the data for as many demons as I can. It reminds me of why I used to love Pokemon so much. I certainly can't

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1246 on: November 04, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »

Did you go back the 1st dungeon to beat the optional boss guarding the wrecked ship?

If so what level were you? that thing can't be beat by me currently

Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1247 on: November 04, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

Is it bad that I've not played any SMT games? Seems the best of them are on the PS2, which I need to replace = \
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1248 on: November 04, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »

Is it bad that I've not played any SMT games?
Yes. You should work to rectified that immediately with due haste.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1249 on: November 04, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »

Did you go back the 1st dungeon to beat the optional boss guarding the wrecked ship?

Yes. It's been a while, but I know I did it. It was that snake lady, right? In the Icy part? I think I beat it before I went to the second major area. The combined levels of my party was roughly 1.5X the level of the boss, and my main was barely able to sustain two hits, while my demons were able to sustain one hit, so probably around lvl 10 or 12. I think I used a special summon to get a demon that was above my level, if that was possible. I used a combination of exploiting weakenesses and a lot of health items to keep from getting slaughtered. I think she actually went down pretty quick. I remember I spent many an hour grinding, but that's because I refused to go to the new area first before I beat her. I doubt that's advisable.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 04, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »

I really love the story/characters/atmosphere of SJ, a lot. Dungeons dragged for me a little though, but I still love that game. I need to finish it.

But that might be a problem, or at least just..delayed. SMT if... came today! :D

NANOMACHINES, SON.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1251 on: November 05, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »

Although it's never been fan translated, there's a great let's play of If at the Let's Play Archive that should help you through it.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/SMTIf/

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 05, 2010, 12:36:01 AM »

Oh yes, this looks awesome. I'll bookmark and follow it along. :D Thanks!

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: November 05, 2010, 12:56:13 AM »

Yes. It's been a while, but I know I did it. It was that snake lady, right? In the Icy part? I think I beat it before I went to the second major area. The combined levels of my party was roughly 1.5X the level of the boss, and my main was barely able to sustain two hits, while my demons were able to sustain one hit, so probably around lvl 10 or 12. I think I used a special summon to get a demon that was above my level, if that was possible. I used a combination of exploiting weakenesses and a lot of health items to keep from getting slaughtered. I think she actually went down pretty quick. I remember I spent many an hour grinding, but that's because I refused to go to the new area first before I beat her. I doubt that's advisable.

God I can't fucking beat her. I'm about 1/2 way through the 2nd dungeon (maybe) and I have 3 evil (demons w/ red highlighted names) demons and then me. I know she's weak to fire but she wastes my ass. She'll always charm my main guy, then kill the demon I have the cure charm on.

I probably need a party that's all the same alignment as me but I haven't run across any neutral types that cast agi yet.

Game fucking rules though.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1254 on: November 05, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »

Oh yes, this looks awesome. I'll bookmark and follow it along. :D Thanks!
I'm not sure but didn't I give you that link a while back?

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 05, 2010, 01:06:59 AM »

I remember looking at it (or something similar) but forgetting to bookmark it back then. Either way it's there now.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1256 on: November 05, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »

I bet the third dungeon breaks you. It's a pain in the neck.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 05, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »

I bet the third dungeon breaks you. It's a pain in the neck.
Oh I do love a challenge.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: November 05, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »

Is it bad that I've not played any SMT games?
Yes. You should work to rectified that immediately with due haste.

Browsing around the reviews section, I see just about all of the games are 90% and above.  Apparently I've been missing some good stuff.  I think I'll start with the first Shin Megami Tensei on the SNES because I've recently developed a chronological order..disorder.  I've wanted to check out the very first one first, Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Story for the NES but still waitin' on a fan translation of it = \
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1259 on: November 05, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »

Don't consider this gospel or anything, but I think starting with either Nocturne/Lucifer's Call might be a better idea than SMT1. I say that only because it will probably make you understand what SMT is all about, and feel the magic quicker than what SMT1 would be able too.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: