Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:13:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319310 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 322956 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1350 on: January 09, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »

after your first swift ass kick in the sewer

Matador?

SMT:N forces you to be good at it. That's why it's a good game.

I was trying to say it on the DL because we have people who haven't played the game in the thread, but yes, Matador.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1351 on: January 09, 2011, 03:56:02 AM »

after your first swift ass kick in the sewer

Matador?

SMT:N forces you to be good at it. That's why it's a good game.

I was trying to say it on the DL because we have people who haven't played the game in the thread, but yes, Matador.

Phew. For a second there I thought I was the only one who got his ass handed to him fighting that bastard.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:37 AM »

Phew. For a second there I thought I was the only one who got his ass handed to him fighting that bastard.

Nah, about everyone goes through that. Though it is worth pointing out that the rest of the game is comparatively smooth sailing afterwards, even the other Fiends didn't give me much trouble.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1353 on: January 09, 2011, 08:04:41 AM »

Nah, about everyone goes through that. Though it is worth pointing out that the rest of the game is comparatively smooth sailing afterwards, even the other Fiends didn't give me much trouble.

At least that fight introduced me to the game over sequence. Gotta love that theme.

Come to think of it, Strange Journey has what I believe to be the worst game over screen out of all the main SMT entries:

SMT I
SMT II
SMT III: Nocturne
Strange Journey (technically SMT IV).

...Way to break the tradition.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1354 on: January 09, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »

Nocturne does give me the same vibe and feeling of satisfaction that Demon's Souls did, but if you want to try to get into MegaTen period it may be best to try Persona 3. That's USUALLY the one people like most, and has gotten tons of people into the series. If that doesn't work out then maybe it's just a lost cause?

I did finish P3, P4 and Devil Survivor. Also I stopped midway in Strange Journey and Persona 1 Portable.

In Nocturne I can't remember exactly where I was but it was after a kinda of maze where that "friend" you have keep talking to you and you're losing signal. The setting is kinda of Red/Orange -ish. I passed this part, saved and left it for some time in the future. Anyone with a good memory with a horrible description as mine knows where I am or how far I'm from the end or at least some big plot points?

The thing that I keep thinking about going for Digital Devil Saga is that since you have a party, it's supposed to be more plot in the game, or at least more interactions. Not that I don't like the mood of loneliness as I clearly said I do enjoy it but sometimes it can be a little exhausting.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1355 on: January 09, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »

In Nocturne I can't remember exactly where I was but it was after a kinda of maze where that "friend" you have keep talking to you and you're losing signal. The setting is kinda of Red/Orange -ish. I passed this part, saved and left it for some time in the future. Anyone with a good memory with a horrible description as mine knows where I am or how far I'm from the end or at least some big plot points?

Are you talking about this place?
Code:
Hijiri is the one contacting you, but the signal is disrupted most of the time like you described. If it's your first time going through the Amala Network then you could be really early in the game.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1356 on: January 09, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »

Nocturne really isn't THAT difficult, it's just like every other SMT game; it rewards preparedness and forethought and punishes ignorance and mistakes.  It also expects you to learn the game rules and how to use/abuse them, which, after your first swift ass kick in the sewer, you get on top of real fast.

First time I played SMIII,  I  played on hard mode, Matador stomped my ass so many times that it was the first boss that  I ever seriously thought about restarting the game to play it on a easier difficulty. I was literally jumping up and down cussing at the screen and flipping the bird when the bastard finally died.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1357 on: January 09, 2011, 11:02:12 AM »

Are you talking about this place?
Code:
Hijiri is the one contacting you, but the signal is disrupted most of the time like you described. If it's your first time going through the Amala Network then you could be really early in the game.

This is exactly the place. When you mentioned the name I remembered it.
I did think I would be early in the game... I think I'll go back to it tonight to see if I'm compelled to at least play a few more hours of it.
Oh, and since we're talking about game length, is it as long as Persona 3 & 4 or more like Digital Devil Saga ?

edit: I just checked and I have 3:33 hours in lol. As long as it can be, there's a long way to go. The good thing is that just by turning it on I remembering why I like this game. Not to mention I reminds me a lot of when I was in Tokyo.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:17:38 AM by Farron » Logged

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: January 09, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »

I think it's in the middle of P3/4 and DDS1/2. The former took me 100+ each and the latter about 30 hours each. For me Nocturne was about... 60? Depending on if you do the labyrinth (I tried, but gave up). :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1359 on: January 09, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

I went back to it now. I played about 3 hours straight and reached Ikebukuro. Judging from a FAQ i looked I might finish it in the 30 hour mark.
Oh, and that boss El Matador, he's simply impossible. I used my Action Replay to have inf HP until I get back to things, but I'm not sure I'm turning it off ever!
Nevertheless I'm glad I'm giving it another shot because it's really fun. The mood in SMT are just great. Probably because I love survivor horror, when I see a more obscure theme I'm inclined to like it.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1360 on: January 09, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

El Matador, he's simply impossible.

No he's not jesus hell just exploit press turn. He's weak to like, electricity.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1361 on: January 09, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »

If you had trouble with matador you could have crossed the highway to where you can fight various orders of angels. They give you like 200-300 exp per fight which is a lot at that stage.

Also Fog breath is awesome.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1362 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »

I used my Action Replay to have inf HP until I get back to things

That's the equivalent of watching an LP on youtube. You could save yourself the hassle and do just that.

Anyways, I've finally finished DDS2! It took me more than 4 months to go through both DDS titles. The ending was good and bad at the same time, if that makes sense. The final dungeon was dizzying. All in all, both games were awesome.

One question though to those who finished the games:

Code:
Schroedinger (the black cat) transforms into Seraph at the end and tells him that they're one and the same, you know, the usual bullshit. My question is:-

Is Schroedinger someone who went through this realization journey same as Seraph in a previous story?
Or is he some kind of higher being who guides people through their journey?

I have a lot of questions actually, but I don't think they have answers, so I won't even bother asking.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1363 on: January 09, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »

The thing with beating Matador is that it teaches you how to actually play the game. It's not really an issue of experience levels, it's just...

Matador is the ultimate tutorial, basically. Beating him gives the *player* the necessary skillset to play SMT:N.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1364 on: January 10, 2011, 01:05:11 AM »

It's almost hilarious how quickly Matador goes down if you are properly ready. Force Null, Ameno Uzume, Fog Breath, and he might not even get a chance to get angry.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: