Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 09:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341145 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 381999 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1605 on: April 27, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »

Digital Devil Saga is a shorter game than Persona (3 & 4) and I agree the set up overall is closer to Nocturne although I think it's a tad more linear. But while I loved the story in DDS I found the character development in both Persona's to be exceptional! So I guess overall either way you're not going to go wrong but DDS might be a tad easier at this stage in your Shin Megami experience.

Everything's Eventual
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 27, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »

I vote DDS. I wouldn't say they're easier than P3 or 4, but the DDS games are way more close to Nocturne like Star said - you'll be more familiar with the battle system. Plus the two of them are shorter than Persona 3 or 4 alone - at least in my experience. :-P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1607 on: April 27, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »

Digital Devil Saga is probably good, like everyone else said. If you have a DS, you might like Strange Journey. Since it sounds like you already have access to P3, that's always a good one.

So I'm in Sector Fornax in SJ. I'm so glad I continued this game. It has just the perfect difficulty for a dungeon crawler in my opinion, and the environmentalist story has a perfect combination of religion, philosophy, and psychology to really be effective. That and I like that Black Frost is so useful. I'm a Jack fan.

After SJ, I'm thinking of either going to DDS, Nocturne, or Persona 4 (I'd be Nuzlockeing Persona 4). I really cant wait to get to these though.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1608 on: April 27, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »

Just do yourself a favor and play'em all.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1609 on: April 27, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »

Just do yourself a favor and play'em all.

But which one? In all honesty, it probably comes down to what's at Gamestop when I go.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1610 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »

I preferred the DDS games to the Persona games on the PS2, although Devil Summoner 2 is like my second favorite SMT game after SMT:N.

The DDS games have the sort of stupid problem of DDS1 having way better dungeons than DDS2, whereas DDS2's skill mechanics are improved a bit and the battle system just feels a lot more balanced.

I sort of found P3 kind of... fillery.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

suikoman444

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1611 on: April 28, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »

Heh, well looks like I'll be trying the DDS games next. Plan on eventually getting to all of them, between me and my girlfriend we own the whole series released in the US other than the game boy titles, so that isn't a problem. The real problem is my backlog, need to start trimming it down, if only I had more free time.
Thanks for the help on the oni bosses, defeated one then skipped ahead a little to asakusa and finished the second part of the labyrinth. Will go back and try to beat them again, now that I'm a bit stronger.

Games In Progress:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Legend of Legaia
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1612 on: April 28, 2011, 02:16:23 AM »

I agree, DDS next.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1613 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »

Japanese DS2 site is up:

http://ds2.atlusnet.jp/

Nice music.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1614 on: May 12, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »

Japanese DS2 site is up:

http://ds2.atlusnet.jp/

Nice music.
hmm... The part with the guitar was awesome.

Character designs are hit n' miss like the first game it seems.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Itches

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1615 on: May 12, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »

I recently started playing Nocturne for the first time and I'm playing on Hard. I just want to say it can be very frustrating. I played Persona 4 on hard and typically the only real annoyance was being insta-gibbed by auto-kill spells and that was just my own fault for not switching personas. In Nocturne, on almost any normal fight I can just outright lose because the enemy decided to attack my main character twice in the same turn and each hit they do is 50% of his HP. I'm thinking I screwed up from the beginning by not dumping all my stats into Vitality from the get-go.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1616 on: May 12, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »

I don't know if any of you guys have read about this before, but a couple of days ago in the Hardcore Gaming 101 blog they posted the infamous urban legend of Shin Megami Tensei for the Super Famicom.

The urban legend of Shin Megami Tensei - TURN IT OFF NOW
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1617 on: May 12, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »

Interesting.  I have a JP SMT cart, but nothing to try and replicate that on anymore.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1618 on: May 12, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »

I don't know if any of you guys have read about this before, but a couple of days ago in the Hardcore Gaming 101 blog they posted the infamous urban legend of Shin Megami Tensei for the Super Famicom.

The urban legend of Shin Megami Tensei - TURN IT OFF NOW

If that happened to me while playing a game I'd probably shit a few bricks then jump out a window
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1619 on: May 12, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »

Imagine if that were to happen when you were actually playing a survivor horror. If someone put something like this in Alone in the Dark, Phantasmagoria or some similar game back in the days people would be insanely frightened. I know I would.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: