Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319596 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 323450 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1725 on: August 31, 2011, 06:27:22 PM »

Please don't hollar at me for hopping back to topic of the older Megami Tensei titles but I am still at bit confused as to where to start.... I'm torn between starting with Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga 1..... I can't believe these games passed me by, being that I was Persona fan since it first came out ages ago on the PS1. Thanks for the advice in advance :)

Nocturne.

I think would be nice you actually explained to our friend just why you suggested Nocturne, instead of merely saying 'Buy Nocturne'.  Just sayin'...

It's the better game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1726 on: August 31, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

Please don't hollar at me for hopping back to topic of the older Megami Tensei titles but I am still at bit confused as to where to start.... I'm torn between starting with Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga 1..... I can't believe these games passed me by, being that I was Persona fan since it first came out ages ago on the PS1. Thanks for the advice in advance :)

Nocturne.

I think would be nice you actually explained to our friend just why you suggested Nocturne, instead of merely saying 'Buy Nocturne'.  Just sayin'...

You're talking to Lard.  You're not going to get a rational answer.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1727 on: August 31, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »

Just play them all. Nocturne is the highlight of the SMT franchise and a landmark in rpg history but the experience of playing both DDS games comes pretty damn close to Nocturne's brilliance.
Do yourself a favor and experience them all, nothing is stopping you.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 31, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »

I consider Nocturne the superior game, with DDS feeling a little... I dunno, less robust. HOWEVER, DDS can also be used to transition yourself into Nocturne/MegaTen period as you can learn each skill and equip them into up to 8 slots, letting you experiment more (at perhaps the cost of grinding, depending on how you play) so you know what demon builds are really good/not good in Nocturne and the Persona games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1729 on: August 31, 2011, 09:10:21 PM »

the best demon build in Nocturne is Daisoujou.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1730 on: August 31, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »

Agreed, but you feel like cheating.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1731 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »

I played all the way through Nocturne, was mindraped by the brutality of some scenes, attempted the final boss something like 23 times and FAILED, thinking I could win every single time.  I don't know how I could get through the whole game if I was underleveled or whatever, but it was awesome!

Never beat it.  I think DDS1 was the first SMT game I actually beat, and only after a year long hiatus.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1732 on: August 31, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »

Agreed, but you feel like cheating.

Oh come on Daisoujou only makes the games SLIGHTLY easier.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 31, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »

I dunno about SLIGHTLY easier, but he's a useful demon that doesn't guarantee victory. If he were something that blew up all enemies or kept everyone at full health guaranteed it'd be a different story though. If anything, the REAL cheating is when you fuse demons with Dark/Bright Might to pound the shit out of bosses fought in the right Katsuguchi phase.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:06:56 PM by Eusis » Logged
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1734 on: August 31, 2011, 11:39:23 PM »

I never really had any problems with Nocturne. I relied mainly on my mc for damage and my demons for support. Then again i was hella over leveled through most of it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 01, 2011, 12:28:28 AM »

There was the Metador, but who didn't have trouble with the Metador? After that it was (relative) smooth sailing. It's still harder than quite a few other contemporary RPGs (or at least contemporary for its time) but it's not insurmountable or outright ridiculous, the occasional case of abysmal luck with Mudo/Hama aside.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1736 on: September 01, 2011, 12:34:54 AM »

Excuse me? What's wrong with saying play Nocturne because it's the better game?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1737 on: September 01, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »

Do it in this order for your own sake

DDS1, DDS2, Nocturne

The difficulty level takes a sharp turn on Nocturne. Apart from that, dds titles are a good next after persona
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1738 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:50 AM »

There was the Metador, but who didn't have trouble with the Metador? After that it was (relative) smooth sailing. It's still harder than quite a few other contemporary RPGs (or at least contemporary for its time) but it's not insurmountable or outright ridiculous, the occasional case of abysmal luck with Mudo/Hama aside.

The Matador was mainly hard because you were limited in the choices of demons you could make at that time. The only real way to beat him is to get a team that either absorbs or nulls wind, and even then he can be a bit of a pain, but yeah after that the game really wasn't hard.

Excuse me? What's wrong with saying play Nocturne because it's the better game?

Because saying "play this game it's better" without giving any reason basically equates to nothing. You NEED to give a reason why it's better. Opinions are worthless without sensible arguments to back them up
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:15:23 AM by Demon_Princess_Kay » Logged

Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1739 on: September 01, 2011, 04:57:13 AM »

Thank you everyone for the advice.... I think I'm going with Nocturne first....  I picked up Nocturne, DDS, DDS2, Devil Summoner, and DS2 all at once...... with Disgaea 4 coming out next week it looks to me as though its going to be a Shin Megami/Prinny filled fall for Klyde...... now hopefully I can polish off Star Ocean by this upcoming tueaday or I may suffer RPG overload.....

....One last question though... do I need to play through Nocturne and DDS before the Devil Summoners? From what I discerned thus far, the DS games were standalone that didn't require, or draw from, the plots of the others to grasp fully and after watching gameplay videos of the battle system I'm super excited to try it out.

By the way, thanks again for the input. You guys rock on this board! All the suggestions (even over in the anime section) have proven to be very valuable guidance for me in the last few months since arriving here :)

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: