Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 09:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319242 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 322541 times)
Jetto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2175 on: July 14, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »

actually maybe DDS might be more my style.

but are you traveling through a huge tower the whole game??
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2176 on: July 14, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »

No, but the final dungeon is an massive tower. Massive by video game standards.
Jetto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2177 on: July 15, 2012, 02:19:20 AM »

No, but the final dungeon is an massive tower. Massive by video game standards.

ahh okay thanks. heard is faar more plot driven and more diologue than Noctourne

is the box set both games in one??
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2178 on: July 15, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

Yeah there is a box set with both of the DDS games in it, but I tried for hours and couldn't find one at a decent price. I just caved and bought the first one. Still haven't dug into it yet though.

I finally bought Nocturne from Gamestop. Paid an extra 8$ for two days shipping. I get it, slap it in the PS2..."This disk is either corrupt or not a Playstation 2 disk." After about an hour, I got it running. Got all the way up to after the end of the world happens (conception?) aaaaaaaand it died on me. So they are sending me a new one within FIVE to SIX days. When I paid an extra EIGHT dollars for TWO day shipping. Gamestop will no longer be getting my gamer money.

I also had to give up on Persona 1 for now.  Got to the dungeon where it's just you and Maki. Oh boy...that dungeon hurts. Mainly because I didn't have nuclear persona's of ANY kind. So I jumped into Persona 2 IS and got out of the first dungeon. Yeah, Persona 2 is A LOT better.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2179 on: July 15, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »

The story is very minimal in Nocturne, it's more about atmosphere. I mean, there are some great plot points and reveals, but it's not story heavy. Just the right amount I think.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: July 15, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »

I've been having a lot of fun with Nocturne.  It's certainly light on story, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.  I hope to have it finished before we record our next podcast. 
Jetto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2181 on: July 15, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »

so then DDS would be more my style since I prefer atleast some plot/diologue into games??

Atleast thats what ive read. DDS is far more plot/story  driven than SMT Noct
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2182 on: July 15, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »

Yeah there is a box set with both of the DDS games in it, but I tried for hours and couldn't find one at a decent price. I just caved and bought the first one. Still haven't dug into it yet though.

Amazon re-released them not too long ago.  They're still in-stock iirc.  Also DDS1 is probably coming to the US PSN pretty shortly.

but my main issue is if you dont have THE RIGHT persona for a boss battle or any boss battle for that matter. you will get wiped. soo ******. but I loved Persona 2 Story.

Nocturne can sometimes feel that way too.  That's pretty much a quirk/feature of the press-turn battle system.  Gotta have lots of persona/demons on standby that you can summon if a boss can attack your weakness and you have no way to cover it.

How hard is SMT Noctourne? Is the story as good as everyone says?

Things can get pretty difficult at times, but it depends on what kind of demons you have on standby and how well prepared your MC is with a good magatama. 

Story, like others have said, is more minimal.  What IS there is good, but I agree with the idea that it's mainly about gameplay and atmosphere.  If you dig SMT games, you'll probably enjoy Nocturne.

how much of a dungeon crawly type of game is this? I feel that a guide is crucial since hte boss fights are supposedly hard as hell

It is, but there are a lot of dungeons and you travel from one area to the next often.

so then DDS would be more my style since I prefer atleast some plot/diologue into games??

Atleast thats what ive read. DDS is far more plot/story  driven than SMT Noct

Yep.  Overall, DDS might be a safe place for you to start.  However, DDS can be hard at times if you aren't prepared (notice a trend?).  Also some people feel DDS is too dungeon heavy (a dungeon crawler, basically).  You might have an easier time with Nocturne if you play DDS first since you'll be more used to the press turn system and how to take advantage of it to its fullest.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 15, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »

Atleast thats what ive read. DDS is far more plot/story  driven than SMT Noct

Actually, given you said some story Nocturne should be fine for you, even if maybe not ideal. We're not talking about something like Nethack that is pure dungeon crawl and the story provided as an excuse to do things with the only "real" story being that of your adventure related to others, we're talking about an RPG that favors a "less is more" approach to story telling. What's there is really good, it's just that it's treated more like a treat for getting through dungeons rather than dungeon crawling being the thing that spaces out story.
Jetto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2184 on: July 15, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »

lots of good replies. I thought deluxe box set was both games in one but its only the first game.

originally I was going to get noctourne , then found out that DDS has more of a "regular" JRPG progression, similar of that like Persona 2 and that DDS has more "story" and Diologue than Noctourne. that why I made the U-Turn to get DDS

Euris, I would rather have the game with more "meat"and dialogue.

also I think I know how Noctourne works, but levellin gup wise, how is it in DDS

still not sure which to buy, and seems like DDS 1+2 will be 40$ combined which isnt too bad I guess
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2185 on: July 15, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »

Get all 3, then play dds1, dds2 and then nocturne. Nocturne is an amazing title in itself, bare in mind that I think Nocturne is the origin of the term Rage Quit. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the SMT titles
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2186 on: July 16, 2012, 02:10:05 AM »

I never stop by the ol' SMT thread here.... mainly because I'm not a huge fan.... a fan yes.... but more so of specific entries in the series as opposed to the SMT deal as a whole.... but I gotta throw my two cents in here as the matter at hand is EXACTLY the same dilemma I faced when wanting to delve into all the SMT stuff......

Should I go Nocturne or DDS I asked myself? Now I knew I liked JRPGs..... I knew I dug persona 3...... I knew I really like Persona 1..... I knew persona 4 was just too much of the same thing and I need something new..... so what did I do? I bought all the DDS titles, Nocturne and Devil Summoner and sampled em all (well DDS 1 obviously, as that was where to start)....

Now I gotta say anyone with more atypical tastes in JRPGs who does prefer story heavy elements should start with DDS for sure IMO.... I was nearly completely turned off to the whole SMT thing by starting Nocturne first... not that it is a bad title.... but it totally missed the mark of what I had been hoping for..... unique and macabre atmosphere to be certain yes.... but IMO there is waaaay too much "unique" going on with this title for someone looking for the more typical JRPG experience.... even down to the art style, which (obviously) lends to the distinct Nocturne "feel", you are not getting anything you'd expect.... once again this isn't a bad thing necessarily... just not what I was looking for.....

So without becoming longwinded, ultimately I feel Nocturne is great once you know your in for something way out in left field and have already fosterred a love of SMT...... Before said affinity for the franchise is established however, I feel Nocturne could be detrimental to fans even giving other entries (despite how different they may be) a chance. At least that was the case with me..... Thus my vote is start with DDS for certain.

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2187 on: July 16, 2012, 02:25:16 AM »

Also DDS1 is probably coming to the US PSN pretty shortly.

I hope it does along with DDS2 and Nocturne. I would get them as soon as they are released on PSN.
Jetto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2188 on: July 16, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »

thanks for the replies guys.

seems like DDS it is then. I l have to pick them up then. I know SMT are usually dungeon crawly, but do nejoy story and since DDS is more story/cutscene weighted than Noctourne, I ll opt for DDS.

Edit* oh and I was about to buy the deluxe box set thinking it was 1+2 but it was only 1 with extra stuff. I would be in for a diosspointments. Looks like I have to get each spereately or around 40$ total
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2189 on: July 16, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »

So where is the current-gen home console Megami Tensei, eh?

I really frickin' hoped they'd get their act together and release SMTIV on PS3, then later do all kinds of other games by using the existing demon graphics or even the same engine, and thus profit.

Or maybe there's been two-three guys working extra hours at Atlus Japan since 2006, designing and creating the 3d models for demons bit by bit? One can only hope.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: