Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 08:00:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334704 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 365690 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2355 on: September 09, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »

Yeah, there's a compendium, I can't remember exactly when though - I think it's pretty early.

Cool, thanks. I was getting a little worried since I haven't seen it yet. I'm ready to take on the Matador! I hear he's the first problem boss and I'm playing on Hard mode, so I'll see what happens.

It was a wake up call for those of us who's first SMT game was Nocturne. :P I dunno how it would be for an experienced SMT player.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2356 on: September 09, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »

Yeah, there's a compendium, I can't remember exactly when though - I think it's pretty early.

Cool, thanks. I was getting a little worried since I haven't seen it yet. I'm ready to take on the Matador! I hear he's the first problem boss and I'm playing on Hard mode, so I'll see what happens.

It was a wake up call for those of us who's first SMT game was Nocturne. :P I dunno how it would be for an experienced SMT player.

Well, he killed me on my first try. I have a good strategy, but his second phase got me when he used his agility buff again, then used focus and an all party multi-physical attack. I'm using Uzume who is force resistant and my magatama is also force resistant. I used fog breath to cancel out his buff and used defense/agility buffs of my own. I think I can get him on the second try.

Ahhh, one of my demons just leveled up and gave me the very useful Attack Mirror item. Let's see how Matador likes having his focused physical attack reflected back at him.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:03:28 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2357 on: September 09, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »

I learned that you could only Fog Breath him so many times before he used Dekunda, I think you can get him down to -4 before he casts it, you can't max it out. I think the same will apply for Dekaja on your party.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2358 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »

I learned that you could only Fog Breath him so many times before he used Dekunda, I think you can get him down to -4 before he casts it, you can't max it out. I think the same will apply for Dekaja on your party.

He never used Dekaja, but on my next try I'm only going to use Fog Breath after he buffs himself, because I don't want to waste my MP. It's an expensive spell. I want it available if he does decide to do that, otherwise I'm screwed.

I can only discern that his multi-hit attack is pure BS. He gets two turns, and uses it twice in a row and half my team is killed and I'm practically dead, even after buffing with Rakukaja twice. I can't revive everyone. It would just be a waste of a turn and they would be dead the next turn anyway on the account of their low health from the revival. Ughhhh. I'm well above the recommended level for this fight, too.

Yes! My plan worked. He focused to use his mutli hit attack. I debuffed his defense then used an attack mirror and now he's fucking dead! Sweet victory.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:10:50 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2359 on: September 10, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »

I'm replaying it for realsies but on normal.  That's hard enough =P.  I made my MC a fighter.  I'm sure he would get interesting spells as a mage, but I didn't feel like making him one.  I just got past ikebukuro and I have way too many fighters and not enough spells.  I'd really like to fuse Uzume with hua-po for a Kikuri-Hime, but there are more than 2 spells I'd like to keep so not sure what to do.  Costs too much to resummon.  I mean, I guess dia is kinda getting phased out at this point for diarahan so I guess I could get rid of dia and keep media and bufu (or mazan).  choices, choices.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2360 on: September 10, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »

Specing the MC into STR is more beneficial late game, when you get the powerful physical abilities.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2361 on: September 10, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »

Seconded, spells are nice for variety, and you should definitely have a caster for when there's Reflect Physical, but nothing beats a physical MC in Nocturne. Nothing.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2362 on: September 10, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »

Seconded, spells are nice for variety, and you should definitely have a caster for when there's Reflect Physical, but nothing beats a physical MC in Nocturne. Nothing.

Really? Hmm, good to know.

I just got to Ikebukuro myself. It was tough getting there after the Matador because all my resources were drained and the game kept throwing battles at me with at least 5 or 6 enemies per fight.

I'm not sure if this is typical on normal mode compared to hard, but very often after I finish a wave of enemies it will throw another wave at me. Sometimes even 3 or 4.

Even though I haven't beaten the game yet, I'm already convinced this is the best game I've ever played.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:00:52 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2363 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »

It does that on Normal mode too. :P

Nocturne is amazing, I often go back and play it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2364 on: September 11, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »

Specing the MC into STR is more beneficial late game, when you get the powerful physical abilities.

Good to know! Thanks.

I ended up keeping my Uzume.  Kikuri Hime definitely has much better stats and resists, but even with passing the right fusion abilities, it's just not enough.  I don't need diarahan yet so I'm withholding.  Plus, Uzume just got mana refill or w/e (10% mana on each moon phase) and it's pretty awesome.  I wonder if that only works if they're in your active party?  If not, that would be ballin for post battle reserve demon healing.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2365 on: September 12, 2012, 01:35:03 AM »

is it just me or do physical type characters tend to get the shaft in smt games? i never had any success with physical attacks in persona 3/4 outside of chie and my physical based mc in devil survivor sucked bad. i guess it was a little better in persona 3 since there was multiple melee damage types.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2366 on: September 12, 2012, 07:50:20 AM »

is it just me or do physical type characters tend to get the shaft in smt games? i never had any success with physical attacks in persona 3/4 outside of chie and my physical based mc in devil survivor sucked bad. i guess it was a little better in persona 3 since there was multiple melee damage types.

My phys-based MC in Devil Survivor 2 is by far my strongest character.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2367 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:44 AM »

I did an MC phys based on Devil Survivor too. During the beginning of the game it was good but as I approached the middle and going towards the end it was horrible. It was than that I found out by suggestion of a lot of people that magic based characters tend to be better in megaten games.

Since than I've stuck to mag and never regreted it.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2368 on: September 12, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »

The game is winnable no matter how you build your MC, but the reason STR is beneficial is because of the "Pierce" ability, which allows physical attacks to ignore resistances.

It's only important if you intended to kill Lucifer, who resists ALL elements, including Almighty. However, phys attacks still do full damage with pierce equipped.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 12, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »

I gave Serph a physical build in both Digital Devil Sagas and he was fine. My main character in Nocturne wasn't entirely physically built, but I still made sure he could pack a punch.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: