Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:29:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 321486 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2370 on: September 12, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »

From what I've noticed, as long as you don't try to make the MC a jack of all trades, the MC should be fine. Either make him/her all magic or all physical and the MC will be fine.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: September 12, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »

From what I've noticed, as long as you don't try to make the MC a jack of all trades, the MC should be fine. Either make him/her all magic or all physical and the MC will be fine.

Pretty much. I give my MCs two areas to specialize in at the most so I at least have a backup plan. But one typically dominates the other.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2372 on: September 12, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »

My rule of thumb when levelling up in SMT is one point every level into one stat, and then distribute the other two evenly.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 12, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »

Yeah, physical types basically have to be able to curbstomp the shit out of enemies, otherwise it doesn't matter. Even then though they will need backup.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2374 on: September 12, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »

I use physical attacks a lot in Nocturne, especially in random battles when I don't want to waste MP, or if I think taking a cut of HP is worth saving MP. These same rules applied Persona 3/4. I found that in Devil Survivor 2 my strength based characters were very useful in boss battles. Sometimes even being the only ones left alive to finish the task.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2375 on: September 13, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »

The game is winnable no matter how you build your MC, but the reason STR is beneficial is because of the "Pierce" ability, which allows physical attacks to ignore resistances.

How good is pierce in Nocturne?  Seems almost like a must have if you're going STR route, right?  

Also am considering might since it triples your crit chance for standard attacks. seems useful at least on non boss encounters.

I use physical attacks a lot in Nocturne, especially in random battles when I don't want to waste MP, or if I think taking a cut of HP is worth saving MP. These same rules applied Persona 3/4. I found that in Devil Survivor 2 my strength based characters were very useful in boss battles. Sometimes even being the only ones left alive to finish the task.

Ditto.  That's pretty much exactly why I went the STR MC route haha

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2376 on: September 13, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »

Building STR in Nocturne is going to deal the most damage late game, it's not really debatable. Your demons become your support buffers/debuffers/healers.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: September 13, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »

Another reason a physical focus is a good idea is because you don't need to worry as much about having the wrong magic type for an enemy, just use your demons to fill that niche. Granted, MegaTen love its phys immune or reflect enemies far more than most RPGs, but it's nevertheless a sound plan to follow.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2378 on: September 13, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »

Keep in mind that a phys only build will get mutilated in the final dungeon. I strongly recommend you get an AOE Magical skill and latch onto it(preferably ones like Glacial Blast and Bolt Storm which inflict status as well).

In DDS1/2, STR is king(nom nom nom hunt skills). DevSur1, magic. DevSur2, either/or, but phys is so good w/ assassinate.

In SJ, well... depends on how your char turns out. Mine turned out an AGI build. Preempting bosses saved my life many times.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2379 on: September 14, 2012, 12:20:24 AM »

"The SMT IV official site has updated with a teaser for a new trailer. A trimmed version will go up on Youtube and Niconico at 5 PM Monday." -- Source: BΞDash
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2380 on: September 14, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »

"The SMT IV official site has updated with a teaser for a new trailer. A trimmed version will go up on Youtube and Niconico at 5 PM Monday." -- Source: BΞDash

I can't wait!

I hope Atlus USA announces they're bringing Soul Hackers here soon.

"Oh, a hunter..."
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2381 on: September 15, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »

Same here. It sucks about EP PSP(kind of doomed at this point, excluding a PSN only miracle), but I don't care as long as we get Soul Hackers. I wonder if they'll be able to fully dub it like they did Overclocked. They said that cost them a pretty penny.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2382 on: September 15, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »

Same here. It sucks about EP PSP(kind of doomed at this point, excluding a PSN only miracle), but I don't care as long as we get Soul Hackers. I wonder if they'll be able to fully dub it like they did Overclocked. They said that cost them a pretty penny.

Yeah. I've given up on EP PSP. I assume the logic was since we already got it for PS1 way back when, that they didn't feel obligated to give it to us. During that period of time when EP PSP came out, they had P4A and P4 Vita on their plate so I'm assuming it got overlooked in favor of those games.

If they don't give us Soul Hackers, they'll be missing a huge opportunity to finally give us this game. Not to mention all the backlash they would get if they don't finally give it to us.

@Akanbe- You mentioned a page back about fusing Kikuri-Hime and her having Diarahn. Did you mean Diarama? I'm looking at the fusion right now and she definitely doesn't have Diarahn. I think Diarama would be a good thing to have at this point in the game. You said Uzume learned a Mana Aid ability? I think I'll hold off doing this fusion until she learns that so I can transfer it to Kikuri-Hime.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:04:38 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2383 on: September 15, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

@Akanbe- You mentioned a page back about fusing Kikuri-Hime and her having Diarahn. Did you mean Diarama? I'm looking at the fusion right now and she definitely doesn't have Diarahn. I think Diarama would be a good thing to have at this point in the game. You said Uzume learned a Mana Aid ability? I think I'll hold off doing this fusion until she learns that so I can transfer it to Kikuri-Hime.

Yeah Diarama.  I couldn't think of the right name when I posted that.  Yes, the last skill Uzume gets (level 23 i think) will refill her MP by 10% of her max everytime the moon phase changes.  Only works while she's in your active party.  For the moment, at least, it's amazing.  Her MP rarely drops below 80% and allows to keep everyone else healed up without wasting mana.  I actually never went through with the fusion.  I was thinking about it this morning, but Uzume has so many good skills (atm) that just transferring two is disappointing.  Diarama would be lovely but since Uzume is around 28 now and I don't need Diarama at the moment as I've been steamrolling the bosses to this point.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2384 on: September 15, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »

Yeah Diarama.  I couldn't think of the right name when I posted that.  Yes, the last skill Uzume gets (level 23 i think) will refill her MP by 10% of her max everytime the moon phase changes.  Only works while she's in your active party.  For the moment, at least, it's amazing.  Her MP rarely drops below 80% and allows to keep everyone else healed up without wasting mana.  I actually never went through with the fusion.  I was thinking about it this morning, but Uzume has so many good skills (atm) that just transferring two is disappointing.  Diarama would be lovely but since Uzume is around 28 now and I don't need Diarama at the moment as I've been steamrolling the bosses to this point.

Very interesting. You've really leveled her up far. What other skills do you have on her? I have media, agi, mabufu, mazan, rakunda and some other passive stuff. Maybe I should keep her around.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: