Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 366798 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2430 on: October 04, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »

For a guy who has played none of them (and I'm hoping someone hasn't already asked this), which is the best one to start out with IYO?

I would personally go against Lard's recommendation and go on the opposite way of Nocturne. It is good but I think it is bit too frustrating. It's one of those games every encounter can kill you and most bosses certainly will kill you.
Aside from that I think Nocturne has a lot of good things in its favor, but for someone starting in the series I'd recommend P3/P4 or even Digital Devil Saga (which I have only played a little but seemed much easier to get into than Nocturne).

I wouldn't go so far as to say every encounter can kill you, but if you're under leveled and don't have the right demons it can happen. I'm playing on hard mode right now and there have been plenty of random battles that I turn auto on and don't have to worry about dying. Digital Devil Saga can be just as unforgiving as Nocturne IMO. 

"Oh, a hunter..."
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2431 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »

Yeah, Persona 3 or 4, or even Persona 2 are the best places to start, IMO. Persona 2 doesn't have the greatest gameplay, but it does introduce you to demon negotiations, and I personally found its story very impressive.

Granted, I started with the first SMT game in the series. I still liked it a lot, but I don't recommend doing it unless you're stubborn. It's a very unkind game...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2432 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »

For a guy who has played none of them (and I'm hoping someone hasn't already asked this), which is the best one to start out with IYO?

I would personally go against Lard's recommendation and go on the opposite way of Nocturne. It is good but I think it is bit too frustrating. It's one of those games every encounter can kill you and most bosses certainly will kill you.
Aside from that I think Nocturne has a lot of good things in its favor, but for someone starting in the series I'd recommend P3/P4 or even Digital Devil Saga (which I have only played a little but seemed much easier to get into than Nocturne).

I wouldn't go so far as to say every encounter can kill you, but if you're under leveled and don't have the right demons it can happen. I'm playing on hard mode right now and there have been plenty of random battles that I turn auto on and don't have to worry about dying. Digital Devil Saga can be just as unforgiving as Nocturne IMO. 

I found DDS much, much easier than Nocturne, and especially less frustrating in the dungeons, having said that I would probably say Persona 3 or 4 would be an easier game for a beginner to SMT.

Everything's Eventual
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2433 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »

I think playing Nocturne as your first SMT game is like initiation by fire. It's hard, it can be frustrating, but by fuck are you a man at the end of it.

Just ask yourself this question, are you ready to be a man?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2434 on: October 05, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »

What happens when a girl finishes Nocturne? Does she become a man too?

I became a man with Demon's Souls by the way. It felt good, really good.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2435 on: October 05, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »

Yes. Women too are men from the day after they beat Nocturne.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2436 on: October 05, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »

I didn't notice my voice change or having anything new attached down there...... O_o
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2437 on: October 05, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »

What happens when a girl finishes Nocturne? Does she become a man too?

Same thing that happens to Chiaki.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2438 on: October 05, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »

I didn't notice my voice change or having anything new attached down there...... O_o

Your balls are celestial. You carry them with you in spirit.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2439 on: October 05, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »

DEEP.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2440 on: October 05, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »

...and somewhat scary

Everything's Eventual
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2441 on: October 05, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »

They dangle gently over your face as you sleep.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2442 on: October 06, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »

I think playing Nocturne as your first SMT game is like initiation by fire. It's hard, it can be frustrating, but by fuck are you a man at the end of it.

Just ask yourself this question, are you ready to be a man?

I recommended Nocturne because I think it's the best SMT game, but I gave an alternate option because I recognise it might not be the best one to start off with. :P

Then again, my first SMT game was Persona 2 EP, which isn't a cake walk either.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2443 on: October 06, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »

I just beat the final boss in Persona 4: The Golden today (jap version) and comparing to the orignal PS2 version I think this one is leagues better. There are many things that make it better in my opinion but one that clearly sticks out and I assume a lot of people here will love is the option to choose which skills will carry over in a persona fusion.

This is so much better than having to go back and for waiting for that random selection you wanted in the first place. Aside from that many new places to go, social links, personas, better resolution. Of course it is still the same game but I think these changes surely justify the price of admission.

I still haven't beat the optional dungeon, but considering I didn't do it in my PS2 run I thought I could give my thoughts on the game already. A good thing is that in this version you don't need to be on a 2nd run to go into the dungeon. To make it perfect for me only if it were to have an episode like "The Answer from P3" but still, I cannot believe I'm having even more fun this second time then the first.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2444 on: October 06, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

I just beat the final boss in Persona 4: The Golden today (jap version) and comparing to the orignal PS2 version I think this one is leagues better. There are many things that make it better in my opinion but one that clearly sticks out and I assume a lot of people here will love is the option to choose which skills will carry over in a persona fusion.

They finally added that to a game that isn't Devil Survivor?! It's about time. I always thought it was silly that we couldn't do this in the first place. If I'm going to sit there wasting a half hour going back and forth trying to get the exact skills I want, why I shouldn't I be able to choose them?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: