Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 03:53:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337721 Posts in 13829 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 373290 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2625 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »

TL;DR Atlus deserves a little more credit than I think you're giving them.

After the region locking debacle and their deliberate shafting of consumers......no.

Yeah, I guess all that effort they put into their re-releases like P4G are just water under the bridge when it comes to one misstep.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2626 on: February 19, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »

After the region locking debacle and their deliberate shafting of consumers......no.

Yeah, I guess all that effort they put into their re-releases like P4G are just water under the bridge when it comes to one misstep.

In all fairness not getting EP PSP localized is a pretty big misstep.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »

The accusation was laziness though, when it seems it's something much more complicated. At worst, this is just another issue to take up with the higher ups at Index in Japan, but even that I wonder about.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2628 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »

I'm with you here. Europe got shafted big time.  I'm sure shafting them was not their intent, but they had to have known how slow things get localized for Europe.  I feel bad for them.  Did they even announce a release date yet?  Last I checked, they didn't.

At least Europeans can sleep soundly at night knowing that the profit margins were extra good in Japan. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2629 on: February 20, 2013, 12:09:10 AM »

I'm with you here. Europe got shafted big time.  I'm sure shafting them was not their intent, but they had to have known how slow things get localized for Europe.  I feel bad for them.  Did they even announce a release date yet?  Last I checked, they didn't.

At least Europeans can sleep soundly at night knowing that the profit margins were extra good in Japan. 

I'm generally the first person to hate on companies with anti-consumer policies, so I can see where you guys are coming from here, but I really think Atlus, in general, is not a company I think of when "anti-consumer" comes to mind. I mean, they publish pretty niche titles, and they ARE a business. I can't imagine the profit margins are super duper high on their games. I don't like what happened with the P4A region-locking either, but I just think assuming they're lazy or anti-consumer because of these things is maybe directing the hate in the wrong direction. Yeah, it sucks, but I just can't hop on board the hate/conspiracy/lazy train.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2630 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:06 AM »

It's a pretty big bloody misstep.
I guess it's just easier to port P3 and P4 over and over again than release P2.
If it's not laziness, I guess you could coin it as not really giving a damn about what their fanbase wants.
Did anyone *really* want a portable version of P4 so soon after the original release?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2631 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »

Did anyone *really* want a portable version of P4 so soon after the original release?

According to the sales and the positive reviews; it seems like they did. The fans ate it up.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: February 20, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »

It's been 4 years, and given the sales of P2:IS and in Japan P2:EP there apparently weren't that many eager fans (though the fact it seems something else blocked release seems to indicate there's some odd problem that cropped up).

Plus if they REALLY didn't care they wouldn't even bother with the PS1 game, they hadn't been making a habit of bringing out anything pre-PS2 to digital services, why start now?
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2633 on: February 20, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »

It's been 4 years, and given the sales of P2:IS and in Japan P2:EP there apparently weren't that many eager fans (though the fact it seems something else blocked release seems to indicate there's some odd problem that cropped up).

Plus if they REALLY didn't care they wouldn't even bother with the PS1 game, they hadn't been making a habit of bringing out anything pre-PS2 to digital services, why start now?

Agreed. I wanted both P3:P and P4G much more than P1 and P2, personally.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »

I wanted IS more then P4G, but EP and P4G were roughly equal, MAYBE a slight edge to EP to iron out localization inconsistencies that P4G wouldn't need to worry about (unless you count changed VA, but I think most people preferred the older ones anyway.)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2635 on: February 20, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »

I'm generally the first person to hate on companies with anti-consumer policies, so I can see where you guys are coming from here, but I really think Atlus, in general, is not a company I think of when "anti-consumer" comes to mind. I mean, they publish pretty niche titles, and they ARE a business. I can't imagine the profit margins are super duper high on their games. I don't like what happened with the P4A region-locking either, but I just think assuming they're lazy or anti-consumer because of these things is maybe directing the hate in the wrong direction. Yeah, it sucks, but I just can't hop on board the hate/conspiracy/lazy train.

Nah I don't think they're lazy or anti-consumer either.  Just was a dick move because they didn't want Japanese fans to import the English version at a fairly cheaper rate.  Not much of a conspiracy about it as Atlus USA pretty much confirmed it after the story broke and they saw how pissed people were. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2636 on: February 20, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »

The original Persona *desperately* need a proper re-translation. P4 didn't.

Why in god's name would want a second version of games you've already played fairly recently? Or in P3's case - twice already?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:15:55 PM by Lard » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2637 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »

Why in god's name would want a second version of games you've already played fairly recently? Or in P3's case - twice already?

Because I didn't play them already on consoles, and I hated P1 on PS1.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: February 20, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »

And it got that, along with IS getting a translation at all. EP actually had a very good translation, it's only serious problem now are the inconsistencies with P2:IS and P1. If they went to hell with it in the first place even that wouldn't matter, or it'd be a lot more minor anyway.

Though it does help some of the names were the same or close enough, IE Mark always being Mark, and Yuki kept as Yuki, maybe a K taken or added but that's not a big deal.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2639 on: February 20, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »

And it got that, along with IS getting a translation at all. EP actually had a very good translation

The goodness of a woman isn't in her bra.

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: