Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:49:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329226 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 347450 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2820 on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »

hell, I am so caught up with SMT I am going to play P4:Arena the moment I finish innocent sin and I can't stand fighting games.....
Don't worry about P4: Arena.  If you just want to play Story Mode, the difficulty is low enough that you can beat every enemy by using the auto-combo.  Mashing the square button doles out an automatic light-hard-special or light-hard-super combo, depending on if you have enough SP to use the super or not.  Play the tutorial, get used to running/jumping/dashing, and then rely on that auto.  Good to go. 

And honestly, if it weren't for all this milking and intense promotion, I never would have gotten into Persona games.  Now I own multiple versions of them and have played through 3 and 4 twice each.  Gonna try out Nocturne or Innocent Sin in a few weeks once I get un-burned-out. 

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2821 on: March 28, 2013, 12:03:09 AM »

hell, I am so caught up with SMT I am going to play P4:Arena the moment I finish innocent sin and I can't stand fighting games.....
Don't worry about P4: Arena.  If you just want to play Story Mode, the difficulty is low enough that you can beat every enemy by using the auto-combo.  Mashing the square button doles out an automatic light-hard-special or light-hard-super combo, depending on if you have enough SP to use the super or not.  Play the tutorial, get used to running/jumping/dashing, and then rely on that auto.  Good to go. 

And honestly, if it weren't for all this milking and intense promotion, I never would have gotten into Persona games.  Now I own multiple versions of them and have played through 3 and 4 twice each.  Gonna try out Nocturne or Innocent Sin in a few weeks once I get un-burned-out. 

Thanks for the tip my friend!

As for your next endeavor, I totally vote Innocent Sin. I haven't been able to put it down since I started it. I'm damn near power-playing through it without even trying. I am simply that hooked!

Nocturne on the other hand is one of the very few titles I actually didn't care to complete. Maybe I didn't give it enough time... I think I only clocked about 12 hours and gave up on it for Tales of Graces F last year. As shallow as it sounds, the MC's appearance was a MAJOR turn off for me. I may someday entertain it again but not before Digital Devel Saga and Devil Summoner. Odd as it sounds, and much to my own surprise, Nocturne is last on my list of PS2 SMT titles....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2822 on: March 28, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »

I'm totally thrilled you have that reaction to the game, Klyde.

Innocent Sin was my first SMT and I can understand the feeling of falling in love with a genre over again. The reveal of the casts past is probably one of my favourite reveals in an RPG.

I want to play IS for the story but I didn't really like the gameplay much at all, and unlike, say, Legend of Mana, you can actually DIE in IS, so ignoring the game side of it is hard.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2823 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »

I'm totally thrilled you have that reaction to the game, Klyde.

Innocent Sin was my first SMT and I can understand the feeling of falling in love with a genre over again. The reveal of the casts past is probably one of my favourite reveals in an RPG.

I want to play IS for the story but I didn't really like the gameplay much at all, and unlike, say, Legend of Mana, you can actually DIE in IS, so ignoring the game side of it is hard.

I imagine if you lower the difficulty  in IS you could damn near auto-battle your way through without even trying... well actually, auto battle is pretty useful in this title so that is a bad way of making my point.... but you get the idea...

I have been pouring all points at level up into DX (magic attack) and thus far even on hard I have not had a single game over. (I think I'm nearing the end, though it is rather difficult to tell)

I while I do agree the gameplay is about as rough as it comes with turn based JRPG's, there are certainly enough ways to exploit the mechanics to make things VERY easy.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2824 on: March 29, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

I while I do agree the gameplay is about as rough as it comes with turn based JRPG's, there are certainly enough ways to exploit the mechanics to make things VERY easy.

I ditched the game.  I couldn't stand the gameplay.  I put it on easy and the high rate of random encounters just drove me up a wall.  I have known for quite awhile how the story goes, so unfortunately that is not a motivator to keep me playing (the story really is awesome.  It's a shame they didn't dial down the encounter rate in the PSP version).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2825 on: March 29, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »

I ditched the game.  I couldn't stand the gameplay.  I put it on easy and the high rate of random encounters just drove me up a wall.  I have known for quite awhile how the story goes, so unfortunately that is not a motivator to keep me playing (the story really is awesome.  It's a shame they didn't dial down the encounter rate in the PSP version).

Yea, if I knew the story you'd be hard pressed to get me to play too. For as much as I love it your certainly not going to see me playing through this one again- LoL

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2826 on: March 29, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »

It was more that I felt like I was always grinding for cards. In P1 it was like, you get a card from a demon, get a card from another demon, fuse them, new persona, done. In P2 they were like a separate currency and you needed a lot of them, iirc.

Also the dungeon designs in P2 weren't much better than, er, P1's, or the SNES SMTs.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2827 on: March 29, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »

It was more that I felt like I was always grinding for cards. In P1 it was like, you get a card from a demon, get a card from another demon, fuse them, new persona, done. In P2 they were like a separate currency and you needed a lot of them, iirc.

Also the dungeon designs in P2 weren't much better than, er, P1's, or the SNES SMTs.

While I still hate the demon negotiating and card system of P2, it has been become quite helpful for ending battles in a more timely fashion late game. Getting new persona as a result is simply like a bonus to being able to move through dungeons quicker via this strategy for me.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2828 on: March 30, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »

It looks like Overclocked got a bad start in Europe. There are glitches in the game.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2829 on: March 30, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »

There were glitches in the original release that caused freezing too.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2830 on: March 30, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

Original as in the first version in the DS, or the 3DS version?

'Cause I never experienced glitches in the 3DS version, only an odd occurrence of the final boss speaking in Japanese.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2831 on: March 30, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »

Original as in the first version in the DS, or the 3DS version?

'Cause I never experienced glitches in the 3DS version, only an odd occurrence of the final boss speaking in Japanese.

Overclocked. Sometimes when trying to collect macca or skills from those memory cards in Free battles would cause the game to freeze. You could probably get through a playthrough without one of the memory card freezing, or you could not. It doesn't seem consistent.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2832 on: March 30, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »

I've been nickle and diming overclocked in my spare time at work and just last night my system went black (both screens)  and was completely unresponsive for a minute. I couldn't power off or anything. Then, as if a delayed response, the system shut down and I was able to turn it back on without a hitch.

Only time my DS has ever done anything like this...

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2833 on: March 30, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »

The crash bugs in the original DS were half of the reason why I quit playing it :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2834 on: March 30, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »

Shows how much I know. I put over a hundred hours into DS and then another ~60 into DS:O and never even knew there were prevalent bugs. Evidently I am lucky to an absurd degree. Bullet dodged, I guess

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: