Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329967 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 350543 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2850 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »

As far as I'm concerned they are free to price it however they want just as we are free to not buy it or buy it used a few months later.  I don't really have a problem with the price if the game turns out to be quality.

One of my friends told me that they used different kinds of cartridges on the DS.  Some had more memory, more speed, or both.  Perhaps they used the same high speed cart to minimize loading that Animal Crossing: New Leaf uses?  Probably not, but that's what I'm going to tell myself to justify shelling out $50 bucks when this game releases.

Ultra-hyped! Also, nice Yun avatar.

Love me some 3S Yun.  Might throw up a Under Night in-birth one later if they get around to a non-arcade release date.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2851 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »

I'm so torn right now! I want to move onto a 3ds SMT title as soon as I am done with P2 IS but I can't decide whether I should go for soul hackers or overclocked. I sampled overclocked and loved it. But i get pretty excited over new releases and I know I'll be picking up soul hackers day 1 (to get the soundtrack and whatnot)

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I am already a few hours in on overclocked... I've been nickel and diming it at work in my spare time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:11:39 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2852 on: April 02, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »

Wow, this SMT IV has a $50 price tag; possibly the first costly 3DS game out there.

That REALLY means the game is so good.

That means it's going to be closer to $60 in Canada.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

There better not be any DLC.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »

^ Since when? Canada pays US MSRP these days. Unless your taxes are like 20%, $60 is a bit of an exaggeration.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2854 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »

Quebec taxes are a little over 15% actually =/

EDIT: checked the government site and OMG! I didn't know this
1er janvier 2013, la TVQ est calculée sur le prix de vente excluant la TPS et le taux de la TVQ est de 9,975 %.

Since 2013 the provincial tax is not additive to the federal tax.

So I guess taxes are 14.98% and not 15.47375% anymore.

Still, it's 57.49$ (Quebec)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:04:25 PM by Annubis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: April 02, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »

The reason prices like that can be a problem is because they don't offer a meatier or sufficiently risky product for that money, they just have something popular and feel they can do it like Activision Blizzard has, or because they're being idiots like SE had been with DS pricing at times. Neither is the case here, we're getting a meaty RPG with a niche appeal, and looks to be about on par with the PS2 games we had to pay $50 for anyway. AND is likely on a more expensive, larger cartridge.

Don't forget that more often than not RPGs were the games we had to pay a premium for in the past, that only really changed on the PS1 and even on PS2 they were more likely to sell at $50 than others. I'm more than willing to pay $50 here, so long as they give proper localization treatment and don't do crap like SE demanding a premium price on Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume only to hack away the VA anyway.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2856 on: April 02, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »

It's really less that SMT4 is $50 and more that once one guy gets away with it everyone's going to try and make $50 the new standard.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2857 on: April 02, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »

The reason prices like that can be a problem is because they don't offer a meatier or sufficiently risky product for that money, they just have something popular and feel they can do it like Activision Blizzard has, or because they're being idiots like SE had been with DS pricing at times. Neither is the case here, we're getting a meaty RPG with a niche appeal, and looks to be about on par with the PS2 games we had to pay $50 for anyway. AND is likely on a more expensive, larger cartridge.

Don't forget that more often than not RPGs were the games we had to pay a premium for in the past, that only really changed on the PS1 and even on PS2 they were more likely to sell at $50 than others. I'm more than willing to pay $50 here, so long as they give proper localization treatment and don't do crap like SE demanding a premium price on Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume only to hack away the VA anyway.

Or hack out a major character building feature/the only really substantial change to the game over the NES version like they did with DQIVDS or sell the game piecemeal to disguise the fact that the game comes up to more than what other contemporary games cost without adding anything but a chapter release schedule to wait for like with The Wonder After Years.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2858 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »

Man I can't wait for Persona 5.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2859 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »

April Fool's Day is over, Dice.  Bad pony.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2860 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »

To Dice, every day is April Fools day. Especially in regards to sudden announcements of TitS:SC localization confirmations/western release dates.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2861 on: April 02, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »

I do think that the price tag is high because the cartridge is one of those that have a whole lot of memory. I mean, the game looks gorgeous and really detailed.

This is like some kind of price preview for when the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. 4 comes out...

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2862 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:28 PM »

To Dice, every day is April Fools day. Especially in regards to sudden announcements of TitS:SC localization confirmations/western release dates.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2863 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »

I don't look at it as a 3DS game being $50, I look at it as SMTIV being $50. Which is fine by me.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »

Alternatively... just look at what you actually GET with some 3DS games. You're not paying $50 for a significantly pared down experience, you're paying $50 for a modern game that happens to play on a portable device.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: