Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:31:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338598 Posts in 13860 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 376191 times)
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2865 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »

You could also make a case against the crap some people pay $60 for nowadays, but it almost feels like trolling.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2866 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »

I would agree, CJ. I wouldn't call it all crap, but I think the value of games has been boinked for a while now. I recognize games cost a bundle to make, but for a 4-6 hour game, I'd be way cooler paying $30-40 than $60. Conversely, for a game like SMTIV, which will likely last well over 60 hours (or more, if you want it to), I'm okay with paying a little more. Plus I like to give Atlus money.

I just think that games shouldn't all be locked at "this is the price for this system." I had no problem making my parents pay $85 for Phantasy Star IV when it came out :)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2867 on: April 03, 2013, 12:25:03 AM »

I dislike the whole hours/dollar comparison thing because it's really easy to pad out a game and make it longer without actually making it any better.  And a lot of companies do exactly that when people start comparing hours of gameplay.  The end result is many hours of rather tedious repetitive gameplay, and that's even worse than a short game in my opinion.

I think I'm going off topic, though.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2868 on: April 03, 2013, 01:33:53 AM »

No, I think you make a good point. I guess there's a variety of factors involved, at least for me when considering a purchase. I'd never buy MG: Rising at $60, but the moment it's $30 or 40? I'd be happy to pay that price. I think it's quality vs hours vs.... other stuff. Totes complex.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »

I actually think I enjoyed MGR enough to justify that, but that's kind of the exception. It's why RPGs are safe bets, at worst you can't say you didn't get your dollars to hours worth (though more and more this is becoming an issue where TIME itself is the most significant cost of all), whereas if I'm not having an absolute blast with a 5-10 hour action game it's going to feel like a colossal waste. Especially if there's no replay value either.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2870 on: April 03, 2013, 02:05:53 AM »

I do think that the price tag is high because the cartridge is one of those that have a whole lot of memory. I mean, the game looks gorgeous and really detailed.

This is like some kind of price preview for when the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. 4 comes out...

Unless Namdai ends up setting the price point (hello $60 bux + overpriced DLC) I doubt it'll hit past $40. SSB4 is practically guaranteed to be one of those Nintendo Evergreens that just stays around forever and a day so there's no real reason to jack up the price unless peripherals are involved since it'll pay itself off eventually (of course, just like every Nintendo Evergreen ever it'll never come down in price either).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2871 on: April 03, 2013, 04:19:57 AM »

^ Since when? Canada pays US MSRP these days. Unless your taxes are like 20%, $60 is a bit of an exaggeration.

I've always found there's been a disparity with US/Can prices. I think I ended up paying close to $50 for Strange Journey new.

What irks me is that this feels like the kind of luxury tax that Squeenix puts on their games, just because they can.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: April 03, 2013, 04:34:20 AM »

What irks me is that this feels like the kind of luxury tax that Squeenix puts on their games, just because they can.

Context is important to remember, it was shit with SE because while FFIII and FFIV's remakes may've justified it, and arguably maybe newer games like TWEWY as well, they just started slapping it indiscriminately on all games when no one else was doing it. There IS an argument to be made that were were long overdue for price hikes on handheld games, the fact $40's the standard with $30 being budget pricing this time around speaks volumes, but you're not making a very compelling case when you release compromised (and if I recall correctly censored in the case of DQ) versions of games, going so far as axing a lot of VA with Covenant of the Plume. Premium price should mean premium treatment, and if you're going to localize it like when Atlus offers a game for cheaper (Growlanser IV) then why the fuck are we supposed to pay $5-10 more for your games?

Incidentally, I think VP:CotP was the last $40 game from SE on DS. I hear that flopped badly, and that might well have been a wake up call that their model was busted.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:38:36 AM by Eusis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2873 on: April 03, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »

It takes them an extra year and a half to bring Devil Survivor Overclocked to Europe despite it being English-only (i.e., exactly the same as the US version) but somehow they managed to add several game-breaking bugs in the process.

What a fuck up.  Don't you just love region locks?

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2874 on: April 03, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »

It takes them an extra year and a half to bring Devil Survivor Overclocked to Europe despite it being English-only (i.e., exactly the same as the US version) but somehow they managed to add several game-breaking bugs in the process.

What a fuck up.  Don't you just love region locks?

It's Ghostlight.  While it's no excuse, I think it's pretty obvious at this point their releases are going to have issues.  They've started licensing other companies localizations, fortunately, because when they tried their hand at it themselves it ended up worse than Ar tonelico 2.  I respect what they're trying to do, ie, bring niche games to Europe, but they need more QA.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: April 03, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »

^ Since when? Canada pays US MSRP these days. Unless your taxes are like 20%, $60 is a bit of an exaggeration.

I've always found there's been a disparity with US/Can prices. I think I ended up paying close to $50 for Strange Journey new.

Not for me, not in at least 3-4 years. Before taxes, the last game I paid more than US MSRP for was the original Devil Survivor, $40 Canadian. Maybe Strange Journey would have been as well, but I got it as a gift. In fact: SMTIV is already listed at $50 at Canadian retailers:

http://www.amazon.ca/Atlus-SM-30014-3-Shin-Megami-Tensei/dp/B00C1ZBFTW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365004539&sr=8-3&keywords=shin+megami+tensei+iv

I've seen Squeenix do it in the past, but now I see their game prices drop faster than anything. DXHR? Dirt cheap within a year. Same with XIII-2. I'm sure I'd be able to grab Tomb Raider for $20-30 by the end of this year if I wasn't keen on just renting it instead.

Maybe Atlus wil get away with it (their games do disappear not long after release after all, so they KNOW people will shell out the $50), maybe it'll set a bad precedent. Or maybe (..hopefully?) others will try to sell their games at that price point and fail. I'd prefer not to pay that for a 3DS game as the norm, but I also like to think SMTIV is worth it...

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2876 on: April 03, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »

Well I wasn't going to chime in on the discussion of the SMT price tage but seeing as how it is still going strong I'll throw out my misguided opinion on the matter.

The simple fact is JRPG's do not sell as well as other titles. Yet we all want to them localized. The people who want these games will gladly pay whatever is asked for them, when the want them (myself included), as illustrated in "completed listings" on ebay (just look up Suikoden 2).

With the aforementioned being fact, it only seems reasonable they charge a bit more IMO. I'm actually surprised we don't see this more often. And when it comes to a company like atlus that pumps out quality localizations I not only accept the price hike, I support it. If an extra 10 bucks per title helps to get more games I want to play available in a language I can comprehend I'll gladly pay.

Cost vs. hours is irrelevant to me. What is relevant, is what actually gets localized. The only way to increase odds of localization is to increase how profitable said projects are. Translating and publishing a JRPG in NA now cannot be nearly as profitable as it was 15 years ago yet we all still want to see it happen. It seems to be as simple as that to me. And when I look at that way I am fine with paying more.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2877 on: April 03, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »

I'm just gonna pop in here real quick

Jack Frost.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2878 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:45 PM »

It's really less that SMT4 is $50 and more that once one guy gets away with it everyone's going to try and make $50 the new standard.

That's what I'm worried about

However, I am still interested and may get it.  The only SMT series I've played at all are persona and devil survivor though.  Do you guys think it would be better to get Soul Hackers or SMT4 first?  I know soul hackers is almost out but I still haven't even bought a 3DS yet and I've got other stuff to finish first.  If I like one I'll probably pick up the other later.  So which would you recommend more?
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: April 03, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »

I'm just gonna pop in here real quick

Jack Frost.
oh my god is this on tumblr please say it's on tumblr

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »