Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 04:55:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338799 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 377130 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2880 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »

I'm just gonna pop in here real quick

Proswagonist will be my P5 MC's name. That's gold right there son.

EDIT: wait wait wait... BROSWAGONIST
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:32:53 PM by Annubis » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2881 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »

That picture is so Tumblr-appropriate it's not even funny. I also dislike it heartily.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2882 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »

That picture is silly, it's well known that persona fans are suave, cool guys.

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2883 on: April 03, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »

I find the notion that SMT fans "welcome newcomers" kind of hilarious.  They're as elitist as it gets. 

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2884 on: April 03, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »

I'm just gonna pop in here real quick

Proswagonist will be my P5 MC's name. That's gold right there son.

EDIT: wait wait wait... BROSWAGONIST

Love it.  Broswagonist-senpai!!!!

That picture is so Tumblr-appropriate it's not even funny. I also dislike it heartily.

Haha I know nothing about megaten humor, it's probably tumblr, I just thought the image looked funny (plus one of my other forums has a hardcore Persona fan to the point it bugs me).

Quite frankly, I'd probably fall in some weird category that liked DDS more than Persona, so... i dunno.
Kudos to them though for creating titles with a different flair in each.  One has cannibalistic monsters fighting the Matrix, another is eyes deep in religious/apocalyptic themes, and the other is about social whatever.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: April 03, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »

Yeah, and it's only half honest on either side at best.

(Everyone knows Jack Frost is the Atlus mascot.)
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2886 on: April 03, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »

I find the notion that SMT fans "welcome newcomers" kind of hilarious.  They're as elitist as it gets. 

A vocal minority are, but most of us are glad to see people embracing the series, even if through P3/P4.

It sure as heck irks me when P3/P4 fans refuse to play the older games or worse find them unplayable, but what're you gonna do.

And I REALLY hate to say it, but that tidbit about P3/P4 fans is pretty accurate(Except the first one, that's just being a jerk). They talk more about their favorite social links and 'waifus' than the actual games, and they're quick to have no interest in games that aren't like P3/P4.

There's a good amount who are above that thankfully, but a lot who are not.

I find SMT old-schoolers are prone to more intellectual discussions about religion and law VS. chaos.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:16:13 PM by cj_iwakura » Logged

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2887 on: April 03, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

It sure as heck irks me when P3/P4 fans refuse to play the older games or worse find them unplayable, but what're you gonna do.

Hate to break it to you, but the older games are pretty much unplayable.  Despite what the image says, it's got nothing to do with "social sim elements" (which I couldn't care less about), but rather the slow combat and obnoxiously high encounter rates.  I gave them a fair shake and said the heck with it.  I've got better things to do with my time.

That said I quite enjoyed DDS.

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2888 on: April 03, 2013, 08:31:24 PM »

Most of the present company is excluded, but when I went onto several forums essentially saying "hey I really liked Persona 3 and 4; what other SMT games are worth trying?" I got laughed out of the room.  It made me less inclined to try Nocturne or Innocent Sin (the ones I was looking at hardest) and I ended up just doing a New Game+ of Persona 4 instead.  And I promise I'm not a "waifu" kind of person.  

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2889 on: April 03, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »

Hate to break it to you, but the older games are pretty much unplayable.  Despite what the image says, it's got nothing to do with "social sim elements" (which I couldn't care less about), but rather the slow combat and obnoxiously high encounter rates.  I gave them a fair shake and said the heck with it.  I've got better things to do with my time.

Well, the thing you most commonly find is that people expect P3/P4 type gameplay from P2, and are disappointed when that's not the case. They were amazing at the time, and they've aged.

I still enjoy them, new players don't, sad but true.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2890 on: April 03, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »

Most of the present company is excluded, but when I went onto several forums essentially saying "hey I really liked Persona 3 and 4; what other SMT games are worth trying?" I got laughed out of the room.  It made me less inclined to try Nocturne or Innocent Sin (the ones I was looking at hardest) and I ended up just doing a New Game+ of Persona 4 instead.  And I promise I'm not a "waifu" kind of person.  

That's unfortunate, but the alternate is you'll get people like me telling you to play them all. :P My favorite is Nocturne, but it's extremely unforgiving and minimalist, pretty much the complete opposite of P3/P4.
(And don't get me wrong, I love P3 and P4, they're just far from the best Atlus has to offer, and they're becoming my least favorite of the PS2 era SMTs.)

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2891 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:29 PM »

i had a similar experience except that i also liked devil survivor.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2892 on: April 03, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

i have always been curious to check out SMT's origins on the super famicom. has anyone had any experience with them? I feel like having pretty much made it through P2 IS (i'm at the temples before xibalba) I can handle anything whether it aged well or not as long as the story is solid.

EDIT: On the note of the SMT Fan vs. Persona fan thing... I can say nothing.. although I was a fan since revalations came out on ps1, I didn't REALLY get hooked until P3. So I myself am a Persona fan convert. I really can't see how one can dig persona without eventually becoming a full fledged SMT fan. And the greater the fanbase the more games we get right? If my logic in that regard is sound then I say the mainstream attention fostered by p3 and p4 can only be considered a good thing... Then again many wonderful things across the board in media came crashing down after gaining too much popularity, although I truly feel in my heart SMT is immune to that somehow..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:05:53 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: April 03, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »

Hate to break it to you, but the older games are pretty much unplayable.  Despite what the image says, it's got nothing to do with "social sim elements" (which I couldn't care less about), but rather the slow combat and obnoxiously high encounter rates.  I gave them a fair shake and said the heck with it.  I've got better things to do with my time.

The thing is the line isn't P3/P4: it's SMT:N. I find that to be when the series fully clicked for gameplay and became fantastic rather than fascinating story/setting/characters kinda bogged down with not-so-hot mechanics (though THIS is more about P2:EP and especially P1, Soul Hackers may well be different story and I'm going into it anyway for the aforementioned pros absolutely being there), and DDS and P3 continued that while Raidou did its own thing.

Admittedly while I'm not sure how it applies in your case (I can't really see how SMT:N can be too antiquated versus DDS just on gameplay alone) I do admit everyone can have very different lines of what has/hasn't aged too well. I can't bring myself to get into computer RPGs from before Fallout 1, whereas others would draw the line earlier or way later, IE nothing before Knights of the Old Republic, or even THAT being too antiquated. Same for something like FF, some just can't bring themselves to play VII whereas it's only real gameplay failing to me (as in an obstacle to enjoying) is just the lack of analog, though that is a case where the graphics can be too rough for some.
i have always been curious to check out SMT's origins on the super famicom. has anyone had any experience with them? I feel like having pretty much made it through P2 IS (i'm at the temples before xibalba) I can handle anything whether it aged well or not as long as the story is solid.

Far as I can recall they're also not really an example of easily accessible MegaTen either.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:23:00 PM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2894 on: April 03, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »

Redacting this entire post. I have something new and not sleep deprived and nuanced coming.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:39:57 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: