Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 08:15:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338610 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 376291 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2910 on: April 05, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »

Did some wiki-ing. Basically, the History of Britannia and the Book of Mystic Wisdom were essentially manuals, but they were written essentially... in-character, because that's just the kind of aesthetic Origin had. They put a LOT of work into their packaging and trying to establish the setting.

Also there is kind of a flipside to that. If the player wants to get the backstory 'cause they're new to the game, they can read the book, or start playing the game and get to it at their own leisure, or if they're replaying the game they can skip it entirely.

The alternative to this in a modern game would be a lengthy cutscene or non-interactive establishing segment that probably gets really old really fast, especially if you're NOT playing the game for the first time.

Older games tended to drop you right into the game. I kind of miss this because my attention span has been eroded to a frozen nub by my dead end job at HP/IBM/Dell/Oracle/Pick-one-they're-seriously-all-the-same. And there actually is a non-trivial number of games out there that I never got anywhere in because I hit the "just shut up and let me play the damn game already" point before the intro segments actually ended.

As a recent example, Bioshock has about twenty minutes before it ends up in this pile.

And for the sake of relevance, I think that Nocturne's opening segment was both far more effective AND economical than Persona 3's. And it didn't help that Persona 3's wasn't interactive. At least I was walking around in Nocturne's.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2911 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »

I only found the Persona 2 fans -- specifically, the Innocent Sin fans -- to be really unbearably elitist. 

After playing IS this week I understand why this is... they got toward the end of something with a story they couldn't let go of, only to find in their anticipation of a climax they had to first meander their way through a string of dungeons that lasts the better part of 10 hours before seeing more (relevant) plot.

The whole enchilada proves to be so compelling yet torturous all at once the gamer in question can't help but develop a superiority complex if they do in fact make it through the aforementioned final stretch of title. LoL

Seriously though... I don't think I'll ever be able to see any reference to the scorpio zodiac sign for the rest of my days without experiencing some sort of dread. I hated that freakin' temple... it wouldn't have been so bad without other 3 but damn... I feel like I've been in dungeons since monday... oh wait... I have...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2912 on: April 11, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »

Sorry to double post but I feel today, I have earned it-LOL

I've done it! I beat P2 IS!! I now believe Xibalba was created as some type of twisted joke or test of patience... there is no freakin' way designers could not have realized how longwinded that place became! In all honesty I really can't think of one other dungeon in my 20 odd years of gaming that tried my patience in the same way xibalba did.

Without getting into spoilers the ending was great. While I wouldn't go so far as to say stellar, I really felt a sense of closure and completion. It makes me reeeeaaaaaal curious as to how things go in eternal punishment all things considered.

So curious I now feel even more tempted to move right into Eternal Punishment without skipping a beat.... Meshgear advised against this over in the gaming journal and I think I am going to listen to his advice, as any time I don't listen to the wisdom of the board here I regret it... Probably gonna make soul hackers my next SMT venture next week and play P4 Arena in the meantime to get my fix.

Though I am still curious how anyone else feels about IS and EP as a whole? I know EP is a direct sequel but how much so? Does anyone else see a benefit or detriment to moving right into it?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:38:15 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2913 on: April 11, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »

Go right into it. You'll see why immediately. They flow beautifully together, and EP is twice as good.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2914 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »

Go right into it. You'll see why immediately. They flow beautifully together, and EP is twice as good.

Woooooh boy... now that sounds mighty convincing (not that I need much convincing at this point).

What to do... I've got 1 yay and 1 nay... anyone care to tip the scale?

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2915 on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »

EP was definitely a much better game, however, EP is close enough to IS that you might get burnt out. It doesn't really play differently but it's much better balanced, especially wrt card getting iirc.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2916 on: April 11, 2013, 08:52:19 PM »

Pre-ordered Soul Hackers earlier. Looks as if I can pick it up at midnight on Monday night thanks to that Injustice game or whatever having a midnight release. Fantastic.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2917 on: April 11, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »

EP was definitely a much better game, however, EP is close enough to IS that you might get burnt out. It doesn't really play differently but it's much better balanced, especially wrt card getting iirc.
The tone is wildly different. In IS, you play as mostly teenagers. EP, mostly adults, and events change to match.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2918 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »

The thing with IS's final dungeon is that based on a dialogue choice halfway through, the remainder of the dungeon will either be short, medium, or long.  I played the import and overthought it, so I ended up picking the longest and most tiresome path. 

Another difference between IS and EP is that EP only gives one individual contact skill per character and the focus is more on group contacts; what's cool about that is that if you pick Katsuya before Ulala, the contact is different than if you pick Ulala before Katsuya.  Another difference also is in how rumors are handled.  With IS, you could spread the "cheap/bad, mediocre, or expensive/strong" equipments, but with EP some rumors change the TYPE of equipment a potential store may have (i.e. special weapons vs. special armor.)

The IS import took me 80 hours or so to complete (most people at the MegaTen boards I used to mod took about 50).  I maxed out EP's clock and I assume I sunk 110 hours in.  I waited months in between both games, so I didn't get burnt out. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2919 on: April 12, 2013, 12:07:10 AM »

"New Soul Hacker screens!" :D

"Clips from the OP you've seen a dozen times!" :(

Expected more dialogue.

Ah well, only four days.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2920 on: April 12, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »

Well I couldn't take wondering any more and had to get EP and give it a shot last night to at least see how it started. Man CJ, gotta hand it to you, you hit the nail on the head when you said they flow togeather nicely. Actually I think that was an understatement. Thanks for the advice.

My initial impression of EP is that this will prove a to be far less trying on my patience  than IS. If for no other reason than aesthetic and tone. The game simply looks much prettier and has a completely different mood to it.

I am still going to juggle soul hackers and persona 4 arena as well... I thought after watching P4 the animation, trinity souls and playing P2 IS I would have had a sufficient SMT fill and be able to return to some other backlogs and whatnot but I just can't get enough at the moment... I don't see me managing to escape the SMT universe for a little while. I've never been so swallowed by a franchise before. I'm to the point where I think I am gonna get an SMT tattoo-LoL

The thing with IS's final dungeon is that based on a dialogue choice halfway through, the remainder of the dungeon will either be short, medium, or long.  I played the import and overthought it, so I ended up picking the longest and most tiresome path. 

The thought of that dungeon being any longer than what I experienced is frightening... I lucked out and picked the shortest route (being ever the the optimist that I am). I had no idea that dialogue choice actually impacts the dungeon length though... very cool stuff :)

And lastly.... I'm not even kidding about the tattoo... anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2921 on: April 12, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »

I've thought about getting an SMT related tattoo before, but I'm not really keen about having something like that on my body for the rest of my life. That said, I was always toying with the idea of getting some demon art from Kaneko on my arm. If I went completely crazy, I would get an entire sleeve worth of demon designs on my arm.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2922 on: April 12, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »

And lastly.... I'm not even kidding about the tattoo... anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Magatama or the pressturn icon.  Something iconic definitely.  cj_iwakura would probably have good ideas.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2923 on: April 12, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »

I'm not fond of tattoos, so I'm the wrong person to ask. Obviousness of the permanency aside, it also puts ink into your bloodstream. That doesn't sit well with me.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2924 on: April 13, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »

Well, I'll steal this from another thread...

And suggest you do something similar, but with Mara.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: