Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 05:40:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341238 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 382902 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2970 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »

I'm surprised so many sites got their Soul Hackers reviews up day one, including the smaller sites I visit, including this place.

Rub it in why don't ya.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2971 on: April 16, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »

I only meant like, smaller than IGN...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2972 on: April 16, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »

Well I played soul hackers until 4am this morning. A good night indeed!

I agree with the review for the most part. I have very little experience with other first person dungeon crawlers to contrast this with but in the realm of what I have experienced thus far in the SMT franchise I would not go so far as to say this title is stellar. That isn't to say I'm not enjoying it. Actually I think I am going to try to make this the first 3ds game I actually get through (saying something big there....).

It felt reeeeal slow to start but once it got going, and I was no longer intimidated by the mechanics, things became far more enjoyable. Speaking of intimidating the newb (such as I am), that is one problem I have soul hackers. This game really does not hold your hand at all. I feel as though they took for granted anyone playing would already pretty familiar with the nuts and bolts of the title. A minor gripe really but they could have at least gave you an instruction booklet with the game!

I really enjoy the gameplay in battle. This is turn based combat that can be executed at mach-3 if you wish. Good stuff.

Lastly the music... A total mixed bag for me here. I love some tracks thus far. I disagree with the review on that note and have felt a few of the numbers to be reeeeal catchy. However, in contrast (particularly in dungeons) you have some extremely droney audio to endure. The drone of the tunes sets an appropriate mood for me but just is not aligned with my personal taste what-so-ever.

I cannot comment on the narrative as of yet as I am not far enough in to judge but I will say this... Thus far it is what is keeping me going :)

EDIT: I also want to add one thing about the voice-overs... hands down some of the creepiest voice acting for demons ever... freakin' awesome and very fitting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:35:18 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2973 on: April 16, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

The music in this game is awesome! Definitely disagree with the review on the music. I spin this soundtrack a lot while I'm chilling out at home and relaxing, and a lot of the songs get stuck in my head. Music is a tough thing to discuss in a review, because it's entirely subjective and not everyone is going to feel the same. I suppose the same thing could be said about the entire review in general, though. Oh well, to each their own.

You guys, seriously. Just put this on while you browse the net. So perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTVWjNwGnLU
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:35:42 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2974 on: April 16, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »

Well I played soul hackers until 4am this morning. A good night indeed!

I agree with the review for the most part. I have very little experience with other first person dungeon crawlers to contrast this with but in the realm of what I have experienced thus far in the SMT franchise I would not go so far as to say this title is stellar. That isn't to say I'm not enjoying it. Actually I think I am going to try to make this the first 3ds game I actually get through (saying something big there....).

It felt reeeeal slow to start but once it got going, and I was no longer intimidated by the mechanics, things became far more enjoyable. Speaking of intimidating the newb (such as I am), that is one problem I have soul hackers. This game really does not hold your hand at all. I feel as though they took for granted anyone playing would already pretty familiar with the nuts and bolts of the title. A minor gripe really but they could have at least gave you an instruction booklet with the game!

I really enjoy the gameplay in battle. This is turn based combat that can be executed at mach-3 if you wish. Good stuff.

Lastly the music... A total mixed bag for me here. I love some tracks thus far. I disagree with the review on that note and have felt a few of the numbers to be reeeeal catchy. However, in contrast (particularly in dungeons) you have some extremely droney audio to endure. The drone of the tunes sets an appropriate mood for me but just is not aligned with my personal taste what-so-ever.

I cannot comment on the narrative as of yet as I am not far enough in to judge but I will say this... Thus far it is what is keeping me going :)

EDIT: I also want to add one thing about the voice-overs... hands down some of the creepiest voice acting for demons ever... freakin' awesome and very fitting.

I haven't heard any demon VA yet, but that sounds awesome.

And yeah, I've been very pleasantly surprised by how much VA there is, I figured it'd only be for story sequences, not the shopkeeps and everything!

It really adds a lot of character.

I'm surprised the review dislikes the music of all things. Some of the dungeon music is amazingly ambient, and the world map music is divine. And Goumaden!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:41:34 PM by cj_iwakura » Logged

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2975 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

Speaking of SMT music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tJNXhhnTY

Anyone else like to imagine that that's playing wherever they walk?

Because I totally do and it makes me feel like the BAMFiest BAMF that ever did BEMF.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2976 on: April 16, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »

Speaking of SMT music

Because I totally do and it makes me feel like the BAMFiest BAMF that ever did BEMF.

All the damn time. Also, I've noticed very subtly differences between in-game OST and CD OST of Nocturne. Has anyone else noticed?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2977 on: April 16, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »

I think I'd need a purple suit and diamond tipped cane to have that playing whenever I walk.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2978 on: April 16, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »

I also want this playing whenever I'm walking around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dBjxeh4oF0

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2979 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »

Speaking of SMT music

All the damn time. Also, I've noticed very subtly differences between in-game OST and CD OST of Nocturne. Has anyone else noticed?

The included CD was based off of the original soundtrack. The US version was Maniacs, and things were slightly remixed.

Uh, would it be really dorky of me to buy a copy of Soul Hackers now, and just wait to get a 3DS until they come down in price more? I'm concerned about rarity, but my backlog's hefty enough that I wouldn't really be playing it right away anyway.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2980 on: April 17, 2013, 12:45:53 AM »

Hey, Soul Hackers vets: why does my magnetite keep draining while I walk around?

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2981 on: April 17, 2013, 01:20:39 AM »

Hey, Soul Hackers vets: why does my magnetite keep draining while I walk around?

Demons cost magnetite to keep active. Your best bet is only to keep one or two around and summon the rest for boss fights. The cost decreases as their loyalty does, and increases with level.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2982 on: April 17, 2013, 01:26:59 AM »

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2983 on: April 17, 2013, 01:58:20 AM »

I stumbled onto the weird part of youtube, but I may have found gold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMk5PL2bjg

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2984 on: April 17, 2013, 02:05:07 AM »

Demons cost magnetite to keep active. Your best bet is only to keep one or two around and summon the rest for boss fights. The cost decreases as their loyalty does, and increases with level.

So it costs energy to keep demons in your party while you walk around and you have to summon them as you go into every battle?
I'm trying to see if I understand that correctly.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: