Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 06:59:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327318 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 340120 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3015 on: April 23, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »

Started Soul Hackers last night.

Had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, but eventually kicked the game off.
The first scenario where you actually fight demons was confusing, the battles seem to fly by and I had no clue what my demons were doing, believe this part was more of a tutorial in that I don't think I could've lost or died.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3016 on: April 23, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »

It is a very confusing game until the first non-flashback dungeon. It's still kind of confusing though, the game needs an actual tutorial to be a little more welcoming.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »

Have you guys played devil survivor? Other megaten games?

I didn't think it was hard to figure out, but I've played way too much SMT, so..

NANOMACHINES, SON.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3018 on: April 23, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »

I've played Persona 3 and 4, started Nocturne many times but never got very far, and played about 1/3 of Strange Journey.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3019 on: April 23, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

What exactly are you guys confused about as far as Soul Hackers goes? It's possible you don't understand the loyalty system and personalities yet. Different personality types will only accept using certain attacks, until their loyalty is maxed out and you can make them do whatever you want. For instance, Wild types like physical attacks, Dumb types prefer the "go" option, Calm types also prefer the "go" option, Kind demons like healing and guarding, Sly demons prefer magic.

"Oh, a hunter..."
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3020 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

It was more that I felt I was wandering around not sure what to do, then I finally initiate the first flash back.

At this point I wasn't sure if it was a tutorial or what, as it wasn't overly difficult or anything.

The loyalty system is a bit of a change, and I may need to actually slow combat message speed down as the attacks and what not fly by pretty quick for an RPG, especially when I told the demons to do what they want, I wasn't able to see what was going and then the next demon acted.

Also, is it possible to really screw yourself over with stat gains? I felt like having to choose stat points right after the first flash back when I actually hadn't controlled the main character yet was a bit unfair.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3021 on: April 23, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »

What exactly are you guys confused about as far as Soul Hackers goes? It's possible you don't understand the loyalty system and personalities yet. Different personality types will only accept using certain attacks, until their loyalty is maxed out and you can make them do whatever you want. For instance, Wild types like physical attacks, Dumb types prefer the "go" option, Calm types also prefer the "go" option, Kind demons like healing and guarding, Sly demons prefer magic.

I didn't mean confusing as in "I don't understand how to play this game." But for instance, the first few times you are in combat, it gives you the option of "Talk" without having any real function at that point, but also without explaining that. I'm not very far in it yet, but so far it seems most "tutorials" are simply a reward for experimentation.

I'm not saying Soul Hackers is ever going to appeal to anyone beyond it's niche audience, but it certainly doesn't make the effort of trying. A lot of games have that problem, but that's a topic for another time.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3022 on: April 23, 2013, 02:32:07 PM »

My first post pages ago about SH (the night soul hackers came out) was about a lack of tutorials.... a newb, such as I am, can certainly feel intimidated!

Anyhow, all I have to say about the title right now is that, while not greatest, it is very refreshing to play something that is actually challenging like this is. Seriously twice now this game thoroughly kicked my ass and I had to spend a good hour grinding, fusing and re-attempting to move forward. That hasn't happened to me in a new RPG in a loooooong time (not that this is really "new" per se). They did a real good job of keeping resources tight as well. I can't remember the last game that really forced me to be so mindful of how I use currency.

One thing I don't like is that demons randomly waltz off and leave the party. Has me compulsively saving my game like crazy. That and the palette they used throughout the course of this game (too dark, always night time...) are my only real complaints.

EDIT: One other thing I have to note I don't like.... although you don't see him in game much at all, I hate the way the MC looks for some reason. I have the arranged soundtrack proudly on display on my SMT Shelf/Shrine and every time I see him he strikes me as a real jerk-LoL

As you can see my gripes are minor. While this one isn't exactly winning any awards in my book, it is a great title in the scheme of things. Not holding a candle to my recently enjoyed P2 IS or current run of P2 EP though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:36:10 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3023 on: April 23, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

Soul Hackers is unapologetically old school by today's RPG standards (came out on Saturn in 1997 and Playstation in 1999), but that's why I both love it and am sometimes annoyed with it.  For Megami Tensei faithful, it's not hard to get into.  But for new MegaTentists, it can be a bit rough without a manual. 

Love the story, voice acting, music, and art style.  I too am not overly fond of the main character's look, but he definitely looks like he's tougher and more physical than the other hackers, which fits with him being on front lines.

I approve of this nonsense!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3024 on: April 23, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »

Decided to go back to Strange Journey since a number of people told me it picked up again after Sector D, and that Sector D was sort of a low point. Anyway. Beat Asura, so onto E.

Anyway 2. Prior to Nocturne, your demons in SMT games were meant to be a lot more transient. No level ups or anything. Soul Hackers is like that, I guess.

Also apparently the loyalty stuff is a lot more lenient in SH compared to the original Devil Summoner.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3025 on: April 23, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »

Daschrier - Did you go into the configuration menu and turn battle text speed to slow?  By modern standards, SH's slow is a modern day Cheetah speed.

Decided to go back to Strange Journey since a number of people told me it picked up again after Sector D, and that Sector D was sort of a low point. Anyway. Beat Asura, so onto E.

Anyway 2. Prior to Nocturne, your demons in SMT games were meant to be a lot more transient. No level ups or anything. Soul Hackers is like that, I guess

Yeah, forces you to constantly be recruiting and/or fusing.  Not my favorite part but at least it's easier since the demons don't automatically hurt you after the first failed attempt to talk (though some may).

One thing I don't like is that demons randomly waltz off and leave the party. Has me compulsively saving my game like crazy.

What were their loyalty levels like?

Soul Hackers is unapologetically old school by today's RPG standards (came out on Saturn in 1997 and Playstation in 1999), but that's why I both love it and am sometimes annoyed with it.

Agree 100%.  Even though my first experience was Nocturne or P2EP (can't remember), but this is probably one of the reasons why I'm enjoying it so much.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3026 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »

Okay, so I've been playing Devil Survivor 2, and I must say. Merak is a bitch. Seriously. That map is just sadistic. Its also one of those times were grinding doesn't help with an SMT game.

Soul Hackers sounds more my speed. I've never been able to get into the SRPG genre, so that is part of the reason I'm not enjoying DeSu2. I can go for a dungeon crawling SMT right about now.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3027 on: April 23, 2013, 10:21:12 PM »

Okay, so I've been playing Devil Survivor 2, and I must say. Merak is a bitch. Seriously. That map is just sadistic. Its also one of those times were grinding doesn't help with an SMT game.

Your big helper against Merak would be Angel with Force Dance and Blood Wine.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3028 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »

How easy is it in Soul Hackers to screw yourself over with stat gains?

The main character gets no magic correct, so should everything go into Str, Agi, En?
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3029 on: April 24, 2013, 03:09:14 PM »

How easy is it in Soul Hackers to screw yourself over with stat gains?

The main character gets no magic correct, so should everything go into Str, Agi, En?

That is what I have been doing... if Ma and Int are of importance to the MC's growth I'm screwed. 18 hours in I have not put one point toward magic for em'.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: