Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 05:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334517 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 364331 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3060 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »

Between the region locking of P4 Arena - which screwed me over, the pre-order DLC, the jacked up price and now paid DLC, I just do not like the way Atlus is approaching its business. That does not make me "extreme".

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3061 on: April 29, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »

We don't even know what the DLC is yet.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: April 29, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »

Between the region locking of P4 Arena - which screwed me over, the pre-order DLC, the jacked up price and now paid DLC, I just do not like the way Atlus is approaching its business. That does not make me "extreme".

You always take these kinds of positions in regards to DLC, to the point at one time at least you refused to get games with DLC at all unless they had a compiled release. That IS an extreme position.

Being weary of how Atlus is running their business is another topic entirely, though in general I think they're still being a lot lighter than most other publishers these days, especially the bigger ones. The P4A region lock was the biggest dick move and who knows what kind of crap was going on with the VA licensing there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:57:42 PM by Eusis » Logged
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3063 on: April 29, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »

Honestly, Atlus does a lot for their fans and the games are always quality whether you enjoy them or not. Atlus is just now venturing into the DLC market and I don't suspect them to offer us garbage and screw us over (Hello, Capcom). I just don't know why you would take a stand over something so silly and avoid a potentially great game over it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3064 on: April 29, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »

I agree. The region-locking was a mandated business choice, period. They didn't do it as they cackled, "hahaha we're going to screw our customers mwahahahahahah!" Businesses have to do things that please their investors and the people that pay the bills. A ton of artistry goes into their games, and the reality is that games these days can use DLC to make a significant extra profit. Like Eusis said, lets wait until we know exactly what the DLC is before we decided Atlus has broken out the industrial-strength customer lube. If they cut out parts of the game that are clearly integral and clearly designed in advance, sure, that's no good. But if they offer meaningful additional content, I'm all for it-- it's like people who complained about Borderlands 2 having the DLC packs-- claiming that they "should have been in the base game." By that argument, developers should just delay games an extra two years to include all the things they would have sold as DLC but made after completing the base game. If you're getting a complete game, the presence of meaningful extra DLC being an affront to you is easily resolved: don't buy it.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3065 on: April 29, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »

You always take these kinds of positions in regards to DLC, to the point at one time at least you refused to get games with DLC at all unless they had a compiled release. That IS an extreme position.

Being weary of how Atlus is running their business is another topic entirely, though in general I think they're still being a lot lighter than most other publishers these days, especially the bigger ones. The P4A region lock was the biggest dick move and who knows what kind of crap was going on with the VA licensing there.

Considering how many games end up getting "GOTY" or "Complete" editions nowadays, I don't really think so.
I just don't think that Atlus is as infallible as other people think they are. They used to be, but nowadays they're no different than any other company, which is a shame.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3066 on: April 29, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »

Atlus is just now venturing into the DLC market and I don't suspect them to offer us garbage and screw us over (Hello, Capcom).

More than the content itself of the DLC (which is always the most important part), the annoying thing with Capcom is how they handle and price their DLC more than anything else. We all want value for the money we are investing but you don't have to be a bitch about it and missing out on a decent game because of "evil companies".

Also, I've never seen a Game of the Year Edition for a handheld game.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:38:32 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3067 on: April 29, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »

Meanwhile in Soul Hackers land, my game froze during battle. I was in the cold storage warehouse at the time. It froze mid attack and I had to restart. Luckily I didn't lose much progress since I had saved about 10 minutes before.

Still, what's with all the freezing on the 3DS.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3068 on: April 29, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »

Meanwhile in Soul Hackers land, my game froze during battle. I was in the cold storage warehouse at the time. It froze mid attack and I had to restart. Luckily I didn't lose much progress since I had saved about 10 minutes before.

My game froze mid-battle, same dungeon. That was  ONLY time it happened in about 20 hours of playtime though.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3069 on: April 29, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »

Is it prone to freezing in general?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3070 on: April 29, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »

If you're getting a complete game, the presence of meaningful extra DLC being an affront to you is easily resolved: don't buy it.

DLC exists to make the base game look inferior.

The presence of DLC always creates the impression that the game you bought is not complete, and will not be complete unless you buy the DLC. Gamer OCD is a well known phenomenon, and it's what drives sales of DLC.

I'm not opposed to DLC as a concept. What I'm opposed to is the intrusion of the software-as-a-service model into single-player gaming. What I'm opposed to is the endless redactioneering that Mass Effect 3 started to slide towards. I'm opposed to having a big button on the start menu saying "BUY SHIT". And I'm also opposed to marketing that's based around making the current product you own look defective so that you go out and get the new thing (hi, mobile phone industry).

Relevant to SMTIV, though, what kind of DLC would you have for that? Obvious things would be demon packs, extra dungeons, and sidequests. This stuff starts to sprawl and gets hard to balance. SMT games have always been pretty tightly constructed. DLC is inherently piecemeal. Something like a big expansion, or an enhanced edition ala FES or Maniacs, necessitates that all of your new stuff is bundled together and that all of your new stuff gets along amicably together. You don't get that luxury with DLC.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3071 on: April 29, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »

I've had a lot of freezes on my 3DS. I heard it was different based on the software, but it's been pretty pervasive on mine.

Something like a big expansion, or an enhanced edition ala FES or Maniacs, necessitates that all of your new stuff is bundled together and that all of your new stuff gets along amicably together. You don't get that luxury with DLC.

The seven existing Borderlands 1 and 2 DLC packs disagree with this point.

And for what it's worth, I also don't agree with how ME3's DLC was structured. For me, it made sense in ME2 because there was an actual story reason for your DLC, with things that impacted the next game. ME3 was just a scramble to justify their brick-stupid ending, another scramble to further justify that ending, and then some unrelated stuff that had varying mileage depending on how on-board you still were.

But this is a conversation that will never end. Some people just hate DLC, period, and that's totally okay. You all have your reasons. Let's move on from the topic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:06:27 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3072 on: April 29, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »

Is Devil Survivor Overclocked worth $40? I've played through the original once, way back in 2009/2010. I don't care much for the VA, but the 8th days seems interesteing.

Or should I save the money and hit You Tube instead?
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3073 on: April 29, 2013, 08:48:19 PM »

Honestly, the SMTIV DLC might be along the lines of the side missions from Strange Journey. You know, like the one with the toilet god, the one with the guy who keeps falling in love and so on. If it's like that, where it's funny little side stories that don't impact the main plot, I don't have a problem with it.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3074 on: April 29, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »

Oh the irony.  Play in warmer places and it won't freeze.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: