Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 02:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331925 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 359178 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: May 15, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »

They didn't say anything bout the story. Damn you Polygon for not putting full review. And if it was the full review: Damn you famitsu for being lazy.

You know this to be true. Or you haven't read enough Famitsu reviews.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3121 on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »

Shin Megami Tensei IV Director says series is the antithesis of JRPGs -- Source: Siliconera

Famitsu asked, "What kind of game did you have in mind for the finished product?"

Kazuyuki Yamai (Shin Megami Tensei IV Director) replied: "Definitely something simple, yet distinct. I wanted to make something with a 'punk production'. 20 years ago, fantasy-style RPGs were the standard of the genre. Shin Megami Tensei on the Super Famicom was something like an antithesis when you compared it. That's what I call 'punk-minded'. There are many games these days that focus on being enjoyable while relaxing. We'd like to have people enjoy the game and maybe even a shocking feeling towards their views on life and values."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3122 on: May 16, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »

That's such a casual and humble way of saying 'WE 'GON TRY TO BLOW YOUR MIND.'

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3123 on: May 16, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »

That's such a casual and humble way of saying 'WE 'GON TRY TO BLOW YOUR MIND.'

The voice acting in the English trailer already has.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3124 on: May 16, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »

I hate to be a downer, but he says stuff like that, then says that he wanted Doi to do the art work to make it more 'anime'/appealing to a wider audience.

Source

I mean it'll still be great, but don't claim to be punk when you want Miley Cyrus doing your vocals.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3125 on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:56 AM »

I think that's a disingenuous comparison-- I'm not familiar with Doi's other works, but assuming that he can't create something unique just because of what he's done in the past (which I know nothing about) seems unfair. Appealing to a wider audience is still possible while maintaining a connection to what has come before. I definitely think the game still looks like SMT, but iwth it's own flavor.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: May 17, 2013, 05:14:07 AM »

And to be honest it's ANIME but not a sort of pandering or overly pop style of it. The characters don't look like rejects from a kid's anime (closest is that the lead looked like Korra from behind... a character from an American cartoon that's just anime styled and mainly came from the hair style), or fashion rejects of Nomura, or the moe crap of the likes of Idea Factory or Compile Heart. Really, his style looks a lot like Kaneko's 32-bit onwards style with the Goth scrubbed out, if they really wanted to go ANIME they'd have just gotten Soejima to do the artwork, and that probably would be the better bet to get the staunchly Persona fanbase in.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3127 on: May 17, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »

I'm not familiar with Doi's other works

Within the series:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin: Character coloring and card design
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment: Character coloring and card design
Maken X: Window designer (sic)
Shin Megami Tensei if... (PS remake)
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne: Sub-leader of field team
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSP remake): Original character retouch and new character design
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS remake): Original character retouch
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Character design

source

The characters don't look like rejects from a kid's anime (closest is that the lead looked like Korra from behind... a character from an American cartoon that's just anime styled and mainly came from the hair style), or fashion rejects of Nomura, or the moe crap of the likes of Idea Factory or Compile Heart.

Geez man...

Is not like didn't know they could have gotten away with a drastic change in the art direction, stuff like can really alineate an entire fanbase.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3128 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:17 AM »

And to be honest it's ANIME but not a sort of pandering or overly pop style of it. The characters don't look like rejects from a kid's anime (closest is that the lead looked like Korra from behind... a character from an American cartoon that's just anime styled and mainly came from the hair style), or fashion rejects of Nomura, or the moe crap of the likes of Idea Factory or Compile Heart. Really, his style looks a lot like Kaneko's 32-bit onwards style with the Goth scrubbed out, if they really wanted to go ANIME they'd have just gotten Soejima to do the artwork, and that probably would be the better bet to get the staunchly Persona fanbase in.

I agree, and I still like the artwork, but we definitely lost something without Kaneko's input.

Though the designs Doi did for the modern humans(namely the Gaian cultist and the Hikawa look alike with the shades) gave me huge Kaneko vibes.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3129 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »

I actually prefer this art to Persona 3 and Devil Survivor's character art.

Devil Survivor had kind of eghuegh character art though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3130 on: May 17, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »

I may be of the unpopular opinion here, but while like Kaneko's artwork, I'm of mind that it needs to stay exactly that: artwork.  Even in PS2 titles characters some of the characters' face models were starting to look creepy/strange (and not in a good way to fit the games and their themes, especially in the Raidou games).  I imagine a more detailed character model for current-gen or next-gen would be even worse.  I think the new artwork strikes a good balance.

That said. . .I can't see Devil Survivor's character designs working particularly well in 3D, either.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3131 on: May 18, 2013, 01:46:22 AM »

I imagine a more detailed character model for current-gen or next-gen would be even worse.  I think the new artwork strikes a good balance.

Well, Doi kinda did that in SMT IV and Soejima did a great job in Catherine.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3132 on: May 18, 2013, 02:05:01 AM »

That's what I meant, apologies for the lack of clarity.  The SMTIV designs look nice, as did the Catherine designs.  I just don't think pure non-monster Kaneko designs would look very good outside of a few specific settings.  I'll never get tired of his monsters.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:07:29 AM by Cyril » Logged
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3133 on: May 18, 2013, 05:57:54 AM »

I may be of the unpopular opinion here, but while like Kaneko's artwork, I'm of mind that it needs to stay exactly that: artwork.  Even in PS2 titles characters some of the characters' face models were starting to look creepy/strange (and not in a good way to fit the games and their themes, especially in the Raidou games).  I imagine a more detailed character model for current-gen or next-gen would be even worse.  I think the new artwork strikes a good balance.

That said. . .I can't see Devil Survivor's character designs working particularly well in 3D, either.

Wait, what? His character designs are awesome and add to the appeal.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3134 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »

Wait, what? His character designs are awesome and add to the appeal.

I've always loved his knack for designing outfits. His female characters usually dress like normal females would.

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: