Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 12:08:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332727 Posts in 13632 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 360657 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3195 on: May 31, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »

I'm at the final boss in Soul Hackers. The magical one I think, because I killed Tiamat. What demons are good for this fight, because the ones I have now suck.

Already?  Weren't you just at the...
Code:
Haunted House to save Six
?  How much more did you have to play to get to that?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3196 on: May 31, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »

Once you finish would you mind telling me how much you enjoyed it.? I'm slightly interested but some aspects of the old style gameplay push me of a bit. For example in P2 IS I almost dropped it mainly because of the number of encounters and excessively long dungeons.

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3197 on: May 31, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »

I'm at the final boss in Soul Hackers. The magical one I think, because I killed Tiamat. What demons are good for this fight, because the ones I have now suck.

Already?  Weren't you just at the...
Code:
Haunted House to save Six
?  How much more did you have to play to get to that?

Yup. I'm rushing through it basically. Probably about ten more hours afterwards. Last night was a bit sleepless :D.

Also Farron, its a good game, but if you have trouble with the archaic fighting in P2, this is just as archaic, but not as easy, in fact its a quite a bit more difficult.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3198 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. Unlike SMT IV I decided to wait a bit to hear some better insight on the game before buying it and this week there was a nice discount on play-asia so I almost got it but in the end I think I would not play it it much or just force it along the way to see the story. In the end I decided to wait a bit more and go straight to SMT IV.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3199 on: June 01, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »

I think Soul Hackers is a great game. There's a decent amount of strategy involved in battles, which I enjoy. The parts people have complained about are easily pushed past if you prepare accordingly, honestly. For parts that I want to get past quickly I'll turn on the "hacks" for the map and enemy analysis.

I only had real trouble at one boss that was magic-based and I had to rearrange my demons around. It's similar to games like Nocturne where you'll want demons with buffing and debuffing abilities. I prefer this battle system to the Persona 2 games, which I think are much slower. It's not a long game, so if you're an SMT fan, I don't see a reason not to play it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3200 on: June 01, 2013, 10:06:51 PM »

I do think that it is a good game, great compared to a lot of games, but the gameplay is just really boring to me. I enjoyed what I played, I just don't think I ever want to go back.

Okay, now I'm playing Digital Devil Saga. Had to restart it since I screwed myself mantra wise. I wasn't to far in though, just at the second dungeon. Now I am at the third, and I just got to Mick's room. The skeleton dude one shotted me with venom fang. I had to walk away for a minute after that.

I am really enjoying this game, but the encounter rate is annoying. Although with that its a win lose scenario. Win: I level up and finish mantras. Lose: I have to do so many damn random encounters.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3201 on: June 02, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »

I think Soul Hackers is a great game. There's a decent amount of strategy involved in battles, which I enjoy. The parts people have complained about are easily pushed past if you prepare accordingly, honestly. For parts that I want to get past quickly I'll turn on the "hacks" for the map and enemy analysis.

I only had real trouble at one boss that was magic-based and I had to rearrange my demons around. It's similar to games like Nocturne where you'll want demons with buffing and debuffing abilities. I prefer this battle system to the Persona 2 games, which I think are much slower. It's not a long game, so if you're an SMT fan, I don't see a reason not to play it.

Persona 2's combat bugged me 'cause I never felt like I had a good handle on what was going on, since it had... rolling turns and not distinctive, separate turns. So it wasn't just that it was SLOW for me but it felt kind of hands off/hard to control. Also choices felt kind of... limited for some reason. Like in Persona 1, the combat was still pretty slow, but I felt more in control and I had a greater variety of choices I could make, so I don't think I noticed as much?

Unless the rolling turns thing was a setting I never figured off how to turn.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:42:25 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3202 on: June 02, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »

Battles aren't that slow if you are abusing Fusion Spells like the game never tells you to do but should probably be doing ALL THE TIME.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3203 on: June 02, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »

For the last month, I've been playing SMT: Strange Journey on the DS. I completed the neutral and law ending and played the game for more than 150 hours.  Needless to say I was amazed by the game, and I plan to play it again in the near futur to get the chaos ending.  But for now, since I bought the 7 SMT games released on the PS2, I think I will try one of these.  Maybe P3FES or Devil Summoner for something shorter.  I don't know yet, but I just wanted to tell you my thoughts of Strange Journey.  I wasn't amazed by a game since 2010 when I played Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land and SRT: Original Generations 1 & 2 for the first time.     
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3204 on: June 02, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

Battles aren't that slow if you are abusing Fusion Spells like the game never tells you to do but should probably be doing ALL THE TIME.

That's how I plowed through Innocent Sin using a FAQ. The game doesn't really give you many hints on how to find good Fusion spells. You have to get lucky through trial and error, which is more of a pain and not very fun. I think it's safe to assume that people mainly enjoyed the P2 games for the story and atmosphere rather than the battle system.

"Oh, a hunter..."
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3205 on: June 02, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »

That was my main problem with the combat (at least in EP, I haven't played IS), it gets incredibly repetitive. It seems difficult at first, but once you work out the powerful fusion spells almost every battle comes down to casting those, and you can one or two shot most normal enemies. It's not like the Press Turn games where status effects and buffs are vital. Exploiting weaknesses isn't nearly as important in EP, and casting the wrong spell won't screw you over like it could in Nocturne, so you end up using the same tactics against everything you face.

I actually gave on the game about 3/4 of the way through because I was so sick of the combat and endless dungeons, even though I'd have liked to have seen how the story finished.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:02:25 PM by DPB » Logged
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3206 on: June 02, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »

I barely used fusion spells and I beat the game just fine on normal. I'm not sure if that is a possibility on Eternal Punishment though, since its basically The Answer to Innocent Sin's the Journey. Although, you know...worth it.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3207 on: June 02, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »

That was my main problem with the combat (at least in EP, I haven't played IS), it gets incredibly repetitive. It seems difficult at first, but once you work out the powerful fusion spells almost every battle comes down to casting those, and you can one or two shot most normal enemies. It's not like the Press Turn games where status effects and buffs are vital. Exploiting weaknesses isn't nearly as important in EP, and casting the wrong spell won't screw you over like it could in Nocturne, so you end up using the same tactics against everything you face.

I actually gave on the game about 3/4 of the way through because I was so sick of the combat and endless dungeons, even though I'd have liked to have seen how the story finished.

Elemental weaknesses seemed a lot more important in Persona 1 which I think is another reason why I liked that game more. Still no Press Turn but the game was much less forgiving and reflected attacks would ruin your day and the next day and the next day. If you got careless, you died fast, and enemies seemed to have more ways to screw you over, even withing the same, er, pattern.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3208 on: June 02, 2013, 07:48:17 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't take how long battles took in IS.  Wouldn't have been too bad if random encounters were lower.  Soul Hacker battles are really fast which is great.

I played it for about 4 hours today.  I'm turning around my earlier sentiments because I'm starting to get hooked as the story gets going. The Haunted Mansion was pretty cool.  I got up to
Code:
Algon Soft manufacturing plant where the demon boss kicked my ass.  Was surprised because the enemies were pretty easy.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3209 on: June 02, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't take how long battles took in IS.  Wouldn't have been too bad if random encounters were lower.  Soul Hacker battles are really fast which is great.

I played it for about 4 hours today.  I'm turning around my earlier sentiments because I'm starting to get hooked as the story gets going. The Haunted Mansion was pretty cool.  I got up to
Code:
Algon Soft manufacturing plant where the demon boss kicked my ass.  Was surprised because the enemies were pretty easy.

That was my first real troublesome boss. Took me 3 tries to take him down, and I exhausted all of my demons save for 1 that had drain resistance to fire, I believe. Rakunda and Tarajuka will help a lot if you haven't already beat him.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: