Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:48:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340931 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 380539 times)
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3210 on: June 04, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »

Man, Coordinate 136 was awesome in Digital Devil Saga. Moody, fun puzzles, and the jack bros. Also, they actually did not put encounters in the puzzle rooms. Good work Atlus.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3211 on: June 04, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »

Get my first and hopefully only freeze glitch in Soul Hackers. Happened during battle in what I'm assuming is the last dungeon. Good thing I had reached a save point right before then.

Apparently I'm at the final boss fight. The game didn't do much to hype this up, so I didn't even know it was. That said, this fight is hard!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:54:21 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3212 on: June 05, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »

I still haven't beaten it. I just can't figure out a winning demon combination.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3213 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »

I still haven't beaten it. I just can't figure out a winning demon combination.

I'm thinking lots of demons that resist magic and fast demons that have makarakan and lots of buffs. Buffs and de-buffs are essential.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3214 on: June 05, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »

Soul Hackers... I'm glad I'm getting to play it, especially since I was clamoring for it back in the Revelations: Persona for PS1 days, but it really hasn't aged that well.  It's good and all (especially the music and voice acting), but definitely stuck in the 1990s to the point where it feels a little more anachronistic than timeless.  It's good, but I'm often more compelled to play something else whenever I have the downtime. 

I'm still getting my sorry butt kicked by Snappy.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3215 on: June 05, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »

Dincrest, what makes you have a soft spot for P2 over this game? I know you praise the P2 games very highly, and those are 90's games prone to the same problems as Soul Hackers, so I'm just curious what the difference is in this case for you.

"Oh, a hunter..."
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3216 on: June 06, 2013, 12:29:11 AM »

Soul Hackers... I'm glad I'm getting to play it, especially since I was clamoring for it back in the Revelations: Persona for PS1 days, but it really hasn't aged that well.  It's good and all (especially the music and voice acting), but definitely stuck in the 1990s to the point where it feels a little more anachronistic than timeless.  It's good, but I'm often more compelled to play something else whenever I have the downtime. 

I hope you realize his trick. You aren't supposed to do damage to him. There's another way.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3217 on: June 06, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

I hope you realize his trick. You aren't supposed to do damage to him. There's another way.

Yea, don't be a fool and spam 5-30 damage for 45 minutes to beat him like i did-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3218 on: June 06, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

Dincrest, what makes you have a soft spot for P2 over this game? I know you praise the P2 games very highly, and those are 90's games prone to the same problems as Soul Hackers, so I'm just curious what the difference is in this case for you.

I liked the characters a LOT better.  They are far more extensively developed and all the flashbacks from when they were kids hit a LOT of emotional notes for me.  In addition, I prefer P2's battle system.  I still think it's a great battle system and I've always preferred the Persona system to the devil summoning system.  Demon contacts make more sense in Persona whereas in SMT and Soul Hackers, they're too stream-of-consciousness and don't always make sense.  I also liked P2's soundtrack more.  As far as settings go, P2's more realistic; I went to high school in the 1990s so it feels less anachronistic.  Soul Hackers suffers a bit from "1990s sci-fi" syndrome.  It's good, but not quite timeless. 

It's hard for me to say objectively why I like one more than the other.  P2 just does "it" for me.  Kinda like two girls who are hot in their own unique ways.  One does "it" for me whereas the other doesn't.  But, yeah, P2 did "it" for me back then and still does "it" for me now. 

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3219 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »

I liked the characters a LOT better.  They are far more extensively developed and all the flashbacks from when they were kids hit a LOT of emotional notes for me.  In addition, I prefer P2's battle system.  I still think it's a great battle system and I've always preferred the Persona system to the devil summoning system.  Demon contacts make more sense in Persona whereas in SMT and Soul Hackers, they're too stream-of-consciousness and don't always make sense.  I also liked P2's soundtrack more.  As far as settings go, P2's more realistic; I went to high school in the 1990s so it feels less anachronistic.  Soul Hackers suffers a bit from "1990s sci-fi" syndrome.  It's good, but not quite timeless. 

It's hard for me to say objectively why I like one more than the other.  P2 just does "it" for me.  Kinda like two girls who are hot in their own unique ways.  One does "it" for me whereas the other doesn't.  But, yeah, P2 did "it" for me back then and still does "it" for me now. 

Man it is STILL doing "it" for me after playing nothing but P2 straight since march/april-LOL

I'm almost sad to see it end. In fact, I have been milking all the optional content at the end of P2 EP for the last two weeks or so.

The real purpose for my reply, however, was to comment on the battle system. While I found it a wee-bit rough around the edges in IS, EP nails it! I LOVE the battle system in EP and can't say I can think of anything like it. The way you must rely on turn order for character combos combined with the fact that you are constantly changing what said characters can do ensures your always crafting new and progressive strategies throughout the course of the game. The system effectively kept battles out of the realm of monotony for me the entire 100+ hours I've invested in it. IS could have had the same appeal if not for the underwhelming difficulty which left me feeling as though strategy was pointless in the wake of spamming a single combo spell of whatever my choosing.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3220 on: June 06, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »

Is Soul Hackers much different than other SMT? I have read the site review and am planning to get it when it is released in Europe but I had simply assumed it was like strange journey without the minimalistic story.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3221 on: June 06, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »

Soul Hackers is more like a traditional SMT, though its unique factor is "demon loyalty."  You have to keep your demons loyal to you or they'll disobey or even ditch you.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3222 on: June 06, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »

I've always thought the negotiation/summoning mechanics fit Devil Summoner pretty well. It's not like Persona where they're facets of your personality, thus you have free reign over them. These are separate entities with their own desires and goals only held in check by your power and force of will.

Without that, they have no qualms about killing you the moment you turn your back.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3223 on: June 11, 2013, 12:09:31 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=404u9gsoS84

PERSONER 5, WIIU EXCLUSIVE????

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3224 on: June 11, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »

Dear god his mouth looks so /moist/.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: