Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332911 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 361405 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3240 on: June 16, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »

@Dincrest: Ah. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:23:25 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3241 on: June 16, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »

Dincrest is right. I didn't even click Kevadu's link, but I was hearing the traditiooooooon song as soon as I finished reading it. 

And... come on.  That's a weak explanation.  Unless you're creating a specific character with his/her own personality and motivations, a silent "everyman" ought to have a sex chosen by the player.  Dragon Quest has done that for III, IV, IX, and X.  Persona 3's Girltagonist was well-received (or so I've heard).  Is the SMT IV main character's masculinity so important that a female option doesn't make sense? 

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: June 16, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »

What little exposition I had to the characters in the E3 demo suggest 'no.' There's at least one female samurai (Isabeau), so it's not like that's restricted to males, even in 1492.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3243 on: June 16, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »

^You know what kind of team also has at least one female member? Super Sentai teams. And just as Super Sentai teams need a Red Ranger to be leader, they also need a Pink Ranger to be the chick/hostage bait.

It almost sounds like he's caving under some kind of peer pressure to keep the "boy's club."  Flimsy reasoning at best.  And that's kinda lame to me, because SMT is all about breaking traditions, defying conventions, and not following the crowd.  

Not just Maya and P3 girl, but SMT If... gave the option of a female lead (who made cameos in Persona games as Tammy/Tamaki.)  

To be fair, with Atlus's parent company currently in hot water, I can see why risking the better part of your limited fanbase on such an ascetic choice isn't something you'd want to jump at.

On the other hand, this is still pretty cowardly.

On the other other hand, you know that there will be a stealth main character hiding in any JRPG with a female lead these days, ready to undermine her and strip her of her agency within the plot at a moment's notice (while also providing the "justification" for fan service).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3244 on: June 16, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »

How many hands do you have?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: June 16, 2013, 12:56:18 PM »

Just in case anyone didn't notice, Liz's preview of SMT IV is live.

http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV/index.html

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3246 on: June 16, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »

^You know what kind of team also has at least one female member? Super Sentai teams. And just as Super Sentai teams need a Red Ranger to be leader, they also need a Pink Ranger to be the chick/hostage bait.

Hey, sometimes Yellow can be a chick too!

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3247 on: June 16, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »

It was nice when they finally made a white chick the "yellow" ranger.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3248 on: June 16, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »

There have also been female white, blue, silver, and even red rangers.  http://www.listal.com/list/female-power-rangers

And there have also been some black girls as yellow rangers.  

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3249 on: June 16, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »

^That list only takes into consideration of what the westernified Power Rangers did and not what the Super Sentai source material did (which is a hell of a lot less diverse than that).

I'll give you that as Yellow can go either way, and Blue as well if Pink isn't available.

It still amuses me though to see what Power Rangers did to the stuff that came out of Japan like making the original Yellow Ranger a chick (hence the lack of a skirt), and making the original White Ranger an adult, playing a teenager (when the Japanese version is a kid, which is why he's never shown on screen at the same time as everybody else).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »

The point wasn't anything like 'hey look SMTIV is doing this, how unique!' but rather that the game has female samurai who so far don't seem to be treated noticably different and it wouldn't have been much of a stretch to make a female option for the MC. That's just based on the demo, though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3251 on: June 16, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »

I will agree that Sentai is generally less diverse than PR given the series has a had a much longer run, but they have had female White, Silver and Red rangers many of them being important 6th rangers. If we count Gokaiger then we can say they've had female versions of all colours :)

On SMTIV:
Games should try to be as inclusive as possible within the frame of their design. Obviously, I haven't played SMTIV, but given the track record in the series I doubt the characters sex is a major factor and I think it would be an excellent option. One thing I really like about SMT games is that despite making their main characters blankslates the MCs have personality and by the end of the game no matter what route you picked (at least in my experience) it makes sense. Giving people that option if it makes it easier for them to invest in the character would make the experience better for a number of people.

I can get not wanting to spend or not having the resources to make two distinct characters (because I imagine they would want to make changes like in P3P) especially for a small company, but in a world that needs more female heroes in general this kind of attitude makes me a little disappointed in Atlus. I don't think this matter too much for this game, but just knowing that is the prevailing mindset bothers me. Still excited as hell for this game, though.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3252 on: June 16, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »

I would also argue that the cast is less diverse in Sentai because, well, there really isn't much of any ethnic diversity in Japan.  So the fact that we have diversity in the American version of Power Rangers is a plus point in my book.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3253 on: June 16, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »

Absolutely agree on that point. I considered bringing it up, but it seemed a little too self-evident. At least they have Ramirez in Kyoryuger.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3254 on: June 17, 2013, 03:36:42 AM »

know what makes this even more hilarious to me? on PSO2 female toons out number rmale toons like something like 5 to 1.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: