Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 06:57:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327171 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 339295 times)
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3255 on: June 22, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/21/shin-megami-tensei-iv-interview-making-law-and-chaos-heroes/

Careful, there is a slight spoiler in the interview.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3256 on: June 22, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic about SMTIV, since from what I've heard it's accessible to beginners, but it doesn't sound like the difficulty will be adjustable a la Persona 3 and 4.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3257 on: June 22, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic about SMTIV, since from what I've heard it's accessible to beginners, but it doesn't sound like the difficulty will be adjustable a la Persona 3 and 4.

I've heard the complete opposite, and a hard mode opens up after you beat the game.

From a gamefaqs early impression of the Japanese version.

" The difficulty really ramps up early on, so it's definitely not an easy game like some people thought it might be for some reason."

"So far, Normal Mode has been pretty difficult thus far."

"I wonder how Hard Mode would be..."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:02:17 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3258 on: June 23, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »

At least as far as difficulty goes Atlus made two DLCs for those that would like to have a few levels in advance without putting too much gime grinding. S in the end, the ones that appreciate SMT as tough as they have been can have it, and the ones that came to the franchise with Persona 3 and 4 and don't want to get too frustrated can use this option.

I'm not going to lie, if there is a DLC that makes it possible to earn macca faster I'm going for it.

Probably for the veteran SMT player the amount of macca you get is alright as they generally have a better idea of what they want or need but as you're getting used to it being able to experiment makes the game a lot less frustrating.

If I take Strange Journey as an example, if you don't want to grind you may simply swtich demons for bosses and eventually figure out the ones you should use, but with so little money there's no way to do so without grinding forever or looking up for suggestions or a guide (well, at least for a SMT beginner, I believe)

Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3259 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:23 PM »

So, I just got Devil Survivor Overclocked for the 3DS and thought that I'd ask a few questions to the knowledgeable folks here. Because of the nature of the game with time (and not being able to be in two places at once), how exactly does the game work in regards to missables? And is there anything in particular that I should know as far as decision-making goes if my goal is to get the "best" ending? Any other sort of information along these lines would be appreciated, too!

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3260 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »

So, I just got Devil Survivor Overclocked for the 3DS and thought that I'd ask a few questions to the knowledgeable folks here. Because of the nature of the game with time (and not being able to be in two places at once), how exactly does the game work in regards to missables? And is there anything in particular that I should know as far as decision-making goes if my goal is to get the "best" ending? Any other sort of information along these lines would be appreciated, too!

There isn't really a "best" ending, there are (if I recall) 7 endings that involve different philosophies, based on which characters you agreed with and spoke to most throughout the story. Generally, if you like a character, following them and agreeing with them is a way to ensure that their "reasoning" is the one that will impact your ending. For example, if you really like Gin and Haru (like I did), you can stick to them for much of the journey, and you'll end up seeing more of their story and having their philosophy win out in the finale. It's like Chiaki and Isamu in SMT3.

There aren't really a ton of "missables," though, in terms of combat or demons. You can't do everything in one playthrough-- since going to a certain place during a certain time means you can't be in another place. It's very replayable. But yeah, hopefully that's helpful :)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3261 on: June 25, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »

If anything I would advise you to at some point look up which endings tend to be considered harder because I didn't and I have to admit it was a pain. I played the original on the DS and I don't know if the difficulty changed in the Overclocked version but I would certainly look it up.
In Devil Survivor 2 I made sure at some point to choose the route that would be far from the hardest and I'm glad I did it because even though I beat the boss in my 2nd attempt the fight took me about an hour.

Also, about the missables you were asking. I think I pretty much missed most of the optional character and even left some die, so do yourself a favor and don't. Even if you don't like them at least you'll have more option to fight a boss when the time comes and more options for endings.

Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3262 on: June 25, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »

Thanks, both of you!

Going with whatever character(s) that I agree with and like the most sounds like a plan, then, Taelus. That should be a pretty simple, natural thing.

And Farron, I recall reading about the endings being different difficulties on these forums a while back. Probably your posts, even. I'll do that before I get too far and I'll also avoid allowing anyone to die and not flat out ignore anyone.

Appreciated :)

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3263 on: June 25, 2013, 11:34:29 PM »

iirc there's an ending in Devil Survivor where everyone lives or something, and it's SUPPOSED to be hard to just stumble into and was intended for new game+ play -- but a lot of people, such as Farron, managed to get on that route anyway.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3264 on: June 26, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »

iirc there's an ending in Devil Survivor where everyone lives or something, and it's SUPPOSED to be hard to just stumble into and was intended for new game+ play -- but a lot of people, such as Farron, managed to get on that route anyway.

Good guy, Farron; making all the right choices.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3265 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:46 AM »

"Index holdings just announced they are going bankrupt: http://j.mp/14yXH7U Maybe there's a Dragon's Crown curse?" -- Twitter
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3266 on: June 27, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »

It's not Atlus itself though.

It's just a question of who's going to buy them.

I could see Nintendo doing it since there's been so many releases on their consoles lately.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3267 on: June 27, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »

:(

I really hope they end up in a good home.
Someone will come and pick them up, right? right?
please?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3268 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »

What I'm worried about is what's going to happen to the localization output Atlus USA brings out, since any new potential buyers might not choose to back a self localization studio and either opt to farm it out like what Atlus does for the PAL regions with people like Ghostlight, or not bother at all, tell Atlus USA to shut it down (shut it down forever!), and leave everything stranded in Japan.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3269 on: June 27, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »

It's not Atlus itself though.

It's just a question of who's going to buy them.

I could see Nintendo doing it since there's been so many releases on their consoles lately.

the mere thought of this is cringe worthy. id rather have them become a sony 1st party developer.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: