Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 03:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319655 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 249 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 323542 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3315 on: July 16, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »

I picked it up, but going to try and wait until I finish what I'm already playing first.

I'm no doubt going to fail.

Looks like club nintendo's swamped, can't get on for my free monies.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3316 on: July 16, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »

If you pre-ordered from GameStop DO NOT put on the armor at the first opportunity you get.

The Auric Armor gives you 20 HP and makes you resist fire/ice/lightning/wind, but it makes you weak to phys/gun/light/dark.  What does that mean?

If you put it on before your first battle, you will die.  The first battle is an ambush vs two enemies that use physical attacks.  It's fine once you have a party, since your demons will take hits, but for that first battle, it just screws you over.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3317 on: July 16, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »

This game is difficult. The first battle versus a horde I had my ass handed to me! I won, but with 3 HP and died a couple times on the way back. Charon is a friendly dude!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3318 on: July 16, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »

If you pre-ordered from GameStop DO NOT put on the armor at the first opportunity you get.

The Auric Armor gives you 20 HP and makes you resist fire/ice/lightning/wind, but it makes you weak to phys/gun/light/dark.  What does that mean?

If you put it on before your first battle, you will die.  The first battle is an ambush vs two enemies that use physical attacks.  It's fine once you have a party, since your demons will take hits, but for that first battle, it just screws you over.

That's hilarious.

Anybody knows if the Amazon cardboard box armor is any less suited to the early game?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »

Anybody knows if the Amazon cardboard box armor is any less suited to the early game?

It's cardboard what do you think will happen!?

Seriously though I'll check the stats when I get my hands on my copy.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3320 on: July 16, 2013, 05:10:27 PM »

That's hilarious.

It makes you weak against fire/ice/lightning/wind/phys/gun/light. You know, because boxes are weak against all those elements.

Dark is just strong because it's dark in a box. However, you'll get items shipped to you while in dungeons, but you'll have to wait four days tops for your order to arrive, unless you happened to order right at the end of Saturday.

...Okay, I'm joking.

Something's off with an egg... ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3321 on: July 16, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »

I downloaded it off the eshop as soon as it became available. I just defeated what I think is the first "proper" boss.

Code:
Alarune: Thankfully Isabaue was kind enough to cast Posumundi after Alarune poisoned my entire party. I defeated her on the first try, I don't want to say it was easy because I think I just got lucky. If she used her two press turns on the same person I'm pretty sure it would be a garunteed KO.

That aside, what is everyone putting their stats into?

I'm focusing on Magic & Agility with some Luck thrown in.

The lack of a "endurance" stat took me by surprise. Hell, even equipment don't have much going for them besides some extra HP. I'm just at the start but equiment just doesn't seem worth the asking price, I'd rather use all my money on consumables and demon fusion.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3322 on: July 16, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

Waiting for Amazon to ship my game is KILLING me.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3323 on: July 16, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

I downloaded it off the eshop as soon as it became available. I just defeated what I think is the first "proper" boss.

Code:
Alarune: Thankfully Isabaue was kind enough to cast Posumundi after Alarune poisoned my entire party. I defeated her on the first try, I don't want to say it was easy because I think I just got lucky. If she used her two press turns on the same person I'm pretty sure it would be a garunteed KO.

That aside, what is everyone putting their stats into?

I'm focusing on Magic & Agility with some Luck thrown in.

The lack of a "endurance" stat took me by surprise. Hell, even equipment don't have much going for them besides some extra HP. I'm just at the start but equiment just doesn't seem worth the asking price, I'd rather use all my money on consumables and demon fusion.

Equipment probably has more use as a thing that gives you elemental strengths.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3324 on: July 16, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »

Yeah but that's only upper body armor so far. Head and Lower Body are just as expensive, but only give minor stat changes.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3325 on: July 16, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »

Imma pick up a copy this weekend/tomorrow, and then get a 3DS eventually mayBe.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3326 on: July 16, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »

My impressions after about 45 minutes:

- As I suspected after E3, it feels incredibly budget-y. Cutscenes have spotty animation and everything is still images. Shouldn't affect gameplay, but definitely feels cheaper than SMTIII/DDS/P3/P4/everything before it. Conversely, it feels closer to SMTI/II because of all that.
- Dialogue is incredibly wooden, and the voice acting is pretty hit or miss. It does sound like the actors are putting some effort in though, so I think it's more the fault of the writing, so far.
- Music and ambiance are fantastic.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3327 on: July 16, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

I've heard the game really opens up when you get into Tokyo, so I'm not worried in the least bit. I've never been worried about any recent SMT game ever being bad.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3328 on: July 16, 2013, 08:18:23 PM »

My impressions after about 45 minutes:

- As I suspected after E3, it feels incredibly budget-y. Cutscenes have spotty animation and everything is still images. Shouldn't affect gameplay, but definitely feels cheaper than SMTIII/DDS/P3/P4/everything before it. Conversely, it feels closer to SMTI/II because of all that.
- Dialogue is incredibly wooden, and the voice acting is pretty hit or miss. It does sound like the actors are putting some effort in though, so I think it's more the fault of the writing, so far.
- Music and ambiance are fantastic.

So the dialogue is wooden, the voice acting is hit or miss, and things feel budgety, yet it retails for $50.  Well, at the very least you have lowered my expectations so playing it later tonight hopefully turns out to be a pleasant surprise instead of a letdown.  I still say if you aren't going to do voice acting right, then don't do it at all, but I feel that I'm probably in the minority in that regard.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3329 on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »

It's only the first 45 minutes. The dungeon atmosphere is also excellent, the challenge seems there, it feels very fresh, the art design is great. And the voice acting isn't BAD, it's just weird, and I chalk that up to the incredibly anachronistic dialogue and setting so far. It's too soon to lower expectations, especially when the rest of the package is very, very good.

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 249 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: