Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 10:06:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329322 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 347814 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3600 on: November 26, 2013, 01:51:28 AM »

Don't worry, you are gonna be salty no matter what. Which is fine by me.

No, actually, I'm not. The idea that you shouldn't criticise any game companies and they always do everything right is silly.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3601 on: November 26, 2013, 02:21:35 AM »

I get kinda scared criticising things these days: You're either unanimous, or on the losing side and getting flack for what you think*.   What I want to say is: I really don't give a crap about Q or the dance game (the former because I'm kinda over my dungeon crawlers these days, or at least I haven't been "taken" with one in some time; and the latter because, even though they're fun, I suck ass at rhythm-titles), the only one that's got my attention is the one we know least about: P5. 

Certainly the fact "Q" and "Dancing with the Persona-Stars" are spin-offs, and not particularly inspired ones at that, really makes this fly by my radar till maaaaybe some earth-shattering, (literally) game-changing news can change my mind otherwise.

I DO like that whole "give the game a chance!" approach, but the "Inner-Dice" is shouting back more something to the tune of: "YUP, YOU JUST KEEP MILKING IT ATLUS, MILK THAT PERSONA TEET DRY".  I could also probably ramble on for hours about how irritated I get with some of the design decisions with respect to the Final Fantasy 13 saga and it's muddy plot, but I don't want Yggy getting salty on me**.

*On that note, I hate this whole fucking Disqus thing using Upvotes and Downvotes for this exact reason.  If you actually, honestly, and truthfully mean to criticize something and not be a troll or complete dick about it (eg; you're not like "FUCKEN JRPGS AND THEIR WEIRD SHIT"), you will STILL get "downvoted" for mere differences in "excitement" and anticipation for a title.  It feels more like a "fuck your opinion, it clashes with my interests!" even if a valid point is made.

** If it helps, one of my favorite series, the Star Ocean series, gets a lot of hell on this forum too.  *shrug*

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3602 on: November 26, 2013, 02:35:40 AM »

I think the milking of P3 and P4 is a lot more respectable than the kind you see in mainstream games.  It also seems to have brought the series to a much wider audience.  This can cause some problems, but overall it seems to benefit Atlus's other titles, which is something I like to see.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3603 on: November 26, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »

No, actually, I'm not. The idea that you shouldn't criticise any game companies and they always do everything right is silly.
To be fair, you're not so much criticizing as much as claiming the worst possible scenario imaginable. It's kind of like if I got a headache and went directly to "I have a brain tumor," instead of "I must've caught a head cold." You can see the difference, yes? :P

But honestly, I don't blame people for not really liking where PQ and P4D seem to be going, they just happen to be in genres I actually like (which, to be fair, is pretty much everything other than sports games and even then I play FIFA once in a while), so I'm not complaining too much.

That being said, I thought this image is apropos (I got it from someone who put it in response to me saying I'm modifying my Yu Narukami cosplay):

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3604 on: November 26, 2013, 05:09:34 AM »

Yes, I'm all doom and gloom.

However, when I see stuff like this from Atlus where they said the PS2 version was the definitive one:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/11/no-re-release-p/

Then we get Golden for the Vita.....

Devil Survivor got a port for 3DS before the sequel was even out.

SMT IV had micro transaction DLC.

It really irks me when other game companies release games multiple times. No reason not to criticise Atlus for it.

The P3/4 milking is as bad as Final Fantasy 4 at this point.

Then you add the deliberate region locking of P4 Arena to deliberately screw over an audience.

This is not the same company from ten years ago, and it's not changed for the better.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3605 on: November 26, 2013, 05:33:30 AM »

Well, I think an enhanced portable port with mostly negligible side stories released four years after the original is hardly comparable to having an enhanced edition less than a year after the original game on the exact same system. SMT4's microtransactions were, as stated before, nothing substantial at all; we got the whole game with SMT4, the DLC just made the game absurdly easy and were not necessary. Also, region locking P4A to prevent reverse importing was a good business move, though I understand why people are annoyed by it; blame the Japanese economy, I guess. I'll concede the Devil Survivor thing though.

I can see why you'd be annoyed, but some of these things you're talking about are being blown way out of proportion.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3606 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:07 AM »

Look. I don't want them to suck and I don't want them to fail.

I'd rather see them successful with a multitude of different titles like they used to do but I'm not going to cut them slack on things that people complain about when other companies like Activision or Ubisoft do it just because Persona games are trendy.

Maybe I'm blowing the Persona stuff out of proportion, but I don't think the region locking is. It was a *massive* dick move on their part. Maybe it was good for business, but it was a giant middle finger to fans.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3607 on: November 26, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »

I'm with Dice on this.  I kind of ended up with mixed feelings.  I'll probably play them and probably even enjoy them, especially Q because I love almost any dungeon crawler you throw at me.  But inner me knows they're just milking that shit.

Also, fuck Disqus.  It didn't use Downvotes a few years ago and it was decent then.  Downvoting is the worst thing to ever come to the internet.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3608 on: November 26, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »

Apparently P5's high school setting has been confirmed in Dengeki.

Can't say I'm surprised, but part of me still wants an Atlus RPG in an office.
Realistically, if that ever happen, it would probably be a new branch in Shin Megami Tensei.

I vote for "SMT: Masquerade". No one shows their true face at work.
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3609 on: November 26, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »

Despite the fact that I too was somewhat hoping for a "Persona at the workplace," the idea that one of the Nocturne folks is in charge of P5 is already sorta promising enough. I fully expect to shout out loud "DID I JUST DO THAT?!" at my TV by the end of the game.

PQ's got me pretty excited because Etrian Odyssey but with a better battle camera (even though I don't quite know how dungeon navigation's going to work yet).

Persona Project Diva...meh. My excitement is nonexistant, but the fact that it's likely being headed by a completely different group of people pretty much means that it won't affect the development cycle of new mainline Persona games and won't interfere with anything. It's pretty much harmless. But what's this about "only three people are playable?" At the 1:30 mark of the trailer, they blatantly state that there's at LEAST six. Either way, damn. That smile is pretty Megidolaon Cute.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3610 on: November 26, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »

from Gematsu:

"Persona 4: Dancing All Night is set after Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold, this week's Dengeki PlayStation reveals.

Tetsuya Komuro, Daisuke Asakura, and other important, not-yet-revealed persons are participating in the game's background music arrange.

Confirmed songs so far include; Pursuing My True Self, Heaven, Reach Out to the Truth, Time to Make History and True Story."

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that with the hype P5 has behind it is pretty obvious that the game most likely is gonna do well enough to get a new line of sequels being on other genres and because of that you are gonna get all hot and bothered again.

Also just to left things clear, I would certainly like to see more stuff like DDS or Catherine, but Persona is a priority for Atlus to take care of after it grabbed an audience that only seems to grow since P3.

I could also probably ramble on for hours about how irritated I get with some of the design decisions with respect to the Final Fantasy 13 saga and it's muddy plot, but I don't want Yggy getting salty on me**.

Sure I enjoy XIII but I'm not close to be part of the "defense force" either.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3611 on: November 26, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »

Look. I don't want them to suck and I don't want them to fail.

I'd rather see them successful with a multitude of different titles like they used to do but I'm not going to cut them slack on things that people complain about when other companies like Activision or Ubisoft do it just because Persona games are trendy.

Maybe I'm blowing the Persona stuff out of proportion, but I don't think the region locking is. It was a *massive* dick move on their part. Maybe it was good for business, but it was a giant middle finger to fans.
I see your point. Regrettably, thanks to the modern development requirements and costs I honestly don't see that happening, at least not with console games. The PS2 generation was a golden era for Atlus that probably won't happen again, sad to say...

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3612 on: November 26, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

It does kind of change the impact of Persona 4's ending when you know Yu just keeps coming back to go on more crazy adventures.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3613 on: November 26, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »

Just because the comapny says it is canon doesn't mean it has to change your own personal canon.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3614 on: November 26, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »

One thing that bugged me about the original P4 ending was it felt like a "So long, and thanks for all the fish" type of ending.  So I really liked the epilogue in Golden. 

And that bad ending, oh maaan that bad ending was goooOOood (which sort of makes up for the eye-rolling and most predictable hot spring scene ever). 

Curious; how do you all feel that they keep the japanese honourifics in the games??  -Chan, and Sempai and all that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:03:04 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: