Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 12:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334506 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 364201 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3615 on: November 26, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »

I like it, but I would never use it in real life.

I don't go around calling Yukiko, Yukiko-chan.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3616 on: November 26, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »

Well, I don't like it because it's awkward in English, but it IS a Japanese setting, so it's not like the context is incorrect.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3617 on: November 26, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »

I'd say it's case by case.

In Persona, I can see why they keep it as they establish the link between the characters.
In most games though you can remove those and nobody will notice.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3618 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »

Just because the comapny says it is canon doesn't mean it has to change your own personal canon.

If Persona fans are gonna start doing this then the fanbase is gonna end up like the one from Silent Hill did; A mess not much people want to take part of.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3619 on: November 26, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »

Just because the comapny says it is canon doesn't mean it has to change your own personal canon.

If Persona fans are gonna start doing this then the fanbase is gonna end up like the one from Silent Hill did; A mess not much people want to take part of.

You're saying this as if it isn't already the case (to be fair, all fanbases have their extreme elements, even Persona as well as SMT on the whole, it is the nature of the beast).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »

Look. I don't want them to suck and I don't want them to fail.

I'd rather see them successful with a multitude of different titles like they used to do but I'm not going to cut them slack on things that people complain about when other companies like Activision or Ubisoft do it just because Persona games are trendy.

Admittedly I do think the lack of original PSP games was a bit of a problem. I don't think the ports are inherently bad so long as they don't take up enough development time/resources that could've gone into a new game (probably why Nintendo opted for A Link Between Worlds rather than Link to the Past 3D) but it does kind of suck if the output for one system was solely ports as the case was with PSP and MegaTen or GBA and Mario.

And a lot of the problem with practices of EA/Ubisoft is just how far they go, small minor microtransactions were never the problem, it was when a game was deliberately rigged for them. I actually think the SMTIV/FE approach is more ideal as rather than buying gold/EXP you're buying optimized grinding stages so you STILL have to play the game, just not buy a full instant win button.
Well, I don't like it because it's awkward in English, but it IS a Japanese setting, so it's not like the context is incorrect.

Yeah, that's roughly how I feel. It's not really ideal in English but so long as the setting's right it's not too big of a deal. It's when you get shit translators keeping honorifics in areas outside of Japan, Japanese characters, or Japan-styled fictional areas where I get irritated.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3621 on: November 27, 2013, 01:10:59 AM »

You're saying this as if it isn't already the case (to be fair, all fanbases have their extreme elements, even Persona as well as SMT on the whole, it is the nature of the beast).

Well, the MegaTen fanbase is not something I would call a mess yet. And using the Silent Hill fanbase as an example from my part is a bit extreme given how that deal went (mostly) to shit a long time ago for a lot of reasons.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3622 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:24 AM »

Well, the MegaTen fanbase is not something I would call a mess yet. And using the Silent Hill fanbase as an example from my part is a bit extreme given how that deal went (mostly) to shit a long time ago for a lot of reasons.
You haven't seen some of the serious assholes in the MegaTen fandom yet then.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3623 on: November 27, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »

You haven't seen some of the serious assholes in the MegaTen fandom yet then.

*shrug* Good for me then.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3624 on: November 30, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »

Soul Hackers is going to get a Lightning Deal in Amazon at 8 PM PT.

Lower than $21?

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3625 on: December 01, 2013, 01:04:28 AM »

$20 is a pretty good deal for Soul Hackers. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'd go for it.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3626 on: December 01, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »

$20 is a pretty good deal for Soul Hackers. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'd go for it.
It was sold at $10 yesterday, and it was sold out in 7 minutes.

Luckily, I got it with that deal!

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3627 on: December 06, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »

Soul Hackers started off a bit rocky until I nailed down the mechanics. I don't mind the fact demons don't level up as long as there are balanced enemies on the way, and I like how each demon needs to be used differently until they fully trust any command they have.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3628 on: January 03, 2014, 06:32:49 AM »

Just started playing through Innocent Sin and loving it so far. I was a little hesitant since the reviews criticised its aged game design, but I think it's pretty fantastic. It's also interesting to see how it feels a lot more like other SMT game than P3 and P4 do.

Plus, it's fun to see the massive changes that happened between P2 and 3. The extra people in the velvet room is a really interesting one (particularly Belladonna singing Aria of the Soul), and it's funny to see so many people using personas when it's pretty much only the main characters (bar a few others) in P3 and P4.

For those of you who have played it P2, do you think I'd like P1? I skipped it since it was even older, but since I'm really enjoying P2, is P1 pretty similar?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:35:36 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3629 on: January 03, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »

@FlamingR1ft:

Persona 1's the only Persona game I like, but I would expect most people to hate it.

If you do want to play it, I would suggest ordering a copy of the PSX version, and finding a way to let yourself save anywhere.

The PSP version also restores the original Japanese encounter rate and exp/gold growth and I have no idea why they did this. I don't care /what/ the purists say, the US version on the PSX was hugely better in this regard.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:52:04 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: