Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:27:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334671 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 365188 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3690 on: March 26, 2014, 09:48:56 PM »

I think, unfortunately, this game is going to be geared towards the dating sim fans more than the SMT fans.

I'm surprised they haven't released a full on dating sim at this point.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3691 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »

As Starmongoose said, it's probably just PR.  They want to build hype and bring in as many new people as possible.

That said, SMT IV wasn't enough?  Atlus would be crazy to not cater to the immense popularity P4 produced.  They'll probably just make a larger split between SMT and Persona to keep both sides happy.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3692 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »

SMT IV was incredibly disappointing overall for a game that I had to wait ten years for.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3693 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:35 PM »

I find wait/development time to be irrelevant when judging the quality of a game, just like price.  It's less than 10 years anyway if you include Strange Journey.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3694 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »

True, but that's the thing. The drop in quality from Strange Journey (which is really SMT IV) to SMT "IV" is pretty startling. The plot/mystery of the black knight was interesting, and I didn't mind the music changes even though I missed Meguro but the art design was FTP game levels of terribleness and the overworld map just killed the game for me. It was a chore to play because I couldn't find where the hell I was supposed to go.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3695 on: March 26, 2014, 11:09:01 PM »

My issue with the dating sim stuff in P3 is that it wasn't really that interesting/involving. The difficulty in getting S-Links up was in, er, managing your time. I don't recall the actual S-Link events ever branching or being that dynamic.

So it kind of stops being an interesting gameplay mechanic and turns into a really roundabout statpoint allocation menu.

It was a chore to play because I couldn't find where the hell I was supposed to go.

And the hidden doors/impossible to find NPCs/side quest with bad instructions in SJ /didn't/ bother you?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3696 on: March 26, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »

True, but that's the thing. The drop in quality from Strange Journey (which is really SMT IV) to SMT "IV" is pretty startling. The plot/mystery of the black knight was interesting, and I didn't mind the music changes even though I missed Meguro but the art design was FTP game levels of terribleness and the overworld map just killed the game for me. It was a chore to play because I couldn't find where the hell I was supposed to go.
At the very least though it was still SMT.  Basically my point is they didn't turn it into what the Persona series has become, and I find that to be a good sign.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3697 on: March 27, 2014, 01:05:30 AM »

Just sounds like typical PR to me.

No company is gonna come out and say "It's even more dense and esoteric than the last game!

While I get and I agree with what you say, if by 'last game' you mean P4 then that was not dense or esoteric. I mean there's a reason why is called by some as "Scooby-Doo: The RPG".

Atlus would be crazy to not cater to the immense popularity P4 produced.

Well... the thing with this is that Atlus (for years now) took that popularity and did manga, a novel, an anime series, live concerts, albums, a port for PS Vita, two fighting games, two spin-offs, almost all kinds of merchandising and most likely more stuff I'm forgetting.

So Atlus already catered to that demographic with P4 enough to get sick of it if they wanted.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3698 on: March 27, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »

Well... the thing with this is that Atlus (for years now) took that popularity and did manga, a novel, an anime series, live concerts, albums, a port for PS Vita, two fighting games, two spin-offs, almost all kinds of merchandising and most likely more stuff I'm forgetting.

So Atlus already catered to that demographic with P4 enough to get sick of it if they wanted.
Right, so why would they leave it there?  No competent company is going to abandon its strongest market to go after a niche market that it already has anyway.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3699 on: March 27, 2014, 02:55:46 AM »

No competent company is going to abandon its strongest market to go after a niche market that it already has anyway.

The problem is that, like all companies, they're abandoning their niche market in favour of the more popular one for easy money.

And the hidden doors/impossible to find NPCs/side quest with bad instructions in SJ /didn't/ bother you?

Nah, because I could at least find my bloody way around in SJ.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3700 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »

I never had trouble finding my way around on the SMT 4 map. It wasn't that difficult, was it?

You probably shouldn't play SMT iOS if you like to know where you're going. The whole map you get is through using the mapper spell and it doesn't put symbols on the map for important spots like terminals or shops.

If you ask me the Persona and SMT games are still pretty damn niche when you think about. Persona being more popular than SMT, obviously.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:05:29 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3701 on: March 27, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »

I love SMT, and I'm having a great time with the iOS version (Thank God it's based on the GBA version. Actually knowing what demons you'd get from fusing before you actually fuse FTW). Then again, I have no qualms with writing important stuff down, memorizing maps, and going online when I really get stuck. BTW, this version does tell you where stuff is on the map, though you have to get there, first, and I've never actually used the Mapper Spell yet. Not really sure what it even does in this version, actually. EDIT: Oh, it gives you a Mini-Map. That's neat. Though I've already gotten used to looking at the big map and simply planning my routes.

On the topic of Persona 5 becoming more casual, I hope that only applies to the gameplay and not the story. I love the gameplay in SMT, but I honestly think it's the stories that make the Persona games more appealing than games this niche reasonably should be.

...also maybe then I'd actually be able to beat it. Just saying.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:41:29 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3702 on: March 29, 2014, 11:01:32 AM »

What really made SMT stand out for me was the way that it either deviated from the attack/heal loop that you usually get in JRPGs -- either with the addition of demon conversations or restricting how/when you could attack or making the non-damaging tech options actually useful -- or when you still had a more standard attack/heal loop, there was a huge emphasis on party composition.

As I said in the SMT iOS thread, Persona 3 felt like it didn't really do this. The extra bonus you get for hitting enemies with a weakness is one-sided, and you can carry a lot of personas with you and swap them out freely. So battles mostly turn into analyze enemy>swap in the right persona>spam whatever the enemy is weak against until the battle ends.

And then the game's rather long and consists of a bunch of stuff that's ostensibly filler (grinding in the tower, or just clicking through school days where nothing happens if you don't feel like doing that).

A lot of a repetitive but straightforward and simplistic content is what I see in a lot of casual games and I *don't* think that's the right approach at all.

On the other hand, I think I'd... call the DDS games a good approach to doing a casual SMT game? They're more standard JRPGs, but the combat mechanics have everything that worked in Nocturne, and they're both really hard but also really forgiving -- you can't permanently screw anything up, whereas you could potentially wreck your character and party entirely in Nocturne.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3703 on: March 30, 2014, 01:56:19 AM »

I wouldn't call DDS or even Devil Summoner casual at all.

Those plus Strange Journey and Devil Survivor remind me of late 90s Square Enix where they were experimenting and churning gem after gem.

The parallels between Squeenix's and Atlus' progression in gaming are actually pretty similar.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3704 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »

I don't come here often, so sorry if this is known/posted
Atlus:

Code:
Looks like the talking cat is out of the bag! Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army will be released as a PS2 Classic on PSN for North and South America beginning on April 1.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:46:11 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: