Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 11:42:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329458 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 348351 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:09 AM »

So my review for Devil Summoner IV is finally up and I figured now might be a nice time to see what people think about this series overall.

As I mentioned in the review, a lot of Megaten games never made it out of Japan. Since Persona 3 though (or really since Nocturne) the series has started to become more popular in the west. Just like the Watchmen movie has attracted thousands of people to the graphic novel, Persona 3 and 4 have really broadened the appeal of the series.

I don't write off these folks as posers as some people do on other boards. I like it when quality works get more attention, which isn't to say that there is a lack of pretentious n00bs. I just want to hear what people think about the series. How'd you get into it? What's your favorite game? Do you absolutely hate it, love it, or like some of it?

I got into it when I came to Japan a few years ago. First game was Persona on playstation, which took forever because I couldn't read Japanese that well. After that I got into Soul Hackers and Nocturne and by then I was hooked. Really dark and cool stories with some great soundtracks and best of all, challenge. I'm playing Devil Survivor on DS now and it is balls hard.

While I haven't played every MegaTen game, none of the ones I've beaten so far have been bad. (Although Devil Summoner 1 on PSP isn't great)

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:49:23 AM »

I have yet to encounter a Megaten game I dislike. I used to be the type of person that bought pretty much every RPG that got released, so when Nocturne came around, that was my first game in the series. Since then, I've played Devil Summoner, Persona 3 (and FES), Digital Devil Saga, and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, with the latter three on my personal top ten list.

It's just a great series.

I guess I mostly respond to the subject matter. I absolutely love the dark imagery and macabre themes that they cram into these games; it's stuff that no other series attempts. There's all this blood and guts, psychotic characters, swearing, sexual undertones, etc. It's so different than what I'm used to in terms of RPGs. And, like you, I dig the difficulty. I always get pissed off at how hard they are, but it feels downright amazing when I'm able to fight against a super tough boss and come out on time. I haven't gotten nearly as much satisfaction from other games in the genre.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:53:30 AM »

I don't write off these folks as posers as some people do on other boards.

I tend to only be annoyed by how some people seemed to just want more and more Persona. Then again I don't think I've been hearing clamoring for a P5, so I guess most people just wanted a single encore. Or are still playing P4, whichever.

Anyways, MegaTen's my favorite RPG series currently, with Dragon Quest behind it. I liked P1 and P2, but Nocturne and future installments were just much more enjoyable than those we received prior. Nocturne was the one I liked most though, DDS was great but came off as a bit... shallow I guess compared to Nocturne and just wasn't as complete and robust. P3's probably right behind Nocturne, however it's the one I'm more inclined to recommend to newcomers. I still need to play through Devil Summoner though, I'll probably just blast through it sometime before the sequel hits.

Oh, and there's Last Bible and the DemiKids games. I'd like to give Last Bible another shot, but DemiKids... well, maybe that too, but it didn't leave much of an impression.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:28:09 AM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:11:44 AM »

I agree with Eusis, though about demikids, the japanese devil children games were substantially better than the two demikids we got in the states from what I remember. they had like, storylines and stuff.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:27:32 AM »

I started with Nocturne, but i already knew about the existance of the franchise. I still have to finish Nocturne btw, i'm still with P3 and i have enjoy it a lot, while i liked Nocturne's dark end-of-the-world atmosphere and such i got hooked with P3 a lot more.

BTW, is it normal in the franchise to have enemies so damn cheap, or just a thing of P3? While i love the game it's quite frustrating to see the game over screen so often just because some enemy decided to use an attack that instantly kills my entire party like if it was nothing.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:11:24 AM »

I rather prefer Persona 2 and 4 for that franchise. P3 had a lot of interesting concepts, but they wore off on me quickly. It was too sparse in terms of compelling narrative, and I never felt that close to the characters.

My favourite SMT product though? Digital Devil Saga 2. There's something rather haunting about that whole series, and 2 brought the story started in 1 to an even better place. I'm rather distraught at certain mucking abouts with Hindu cosmology, but that's a personal issue. I've come to expect that kind of thing with Atlus' psychological brainchild.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »

Another question, i have to play Digital Devil Saga 1 to get DDS2 in terms of plot? Is it mandatory?
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 06:27:39 AM »

It's not. But I would recommend it. You get a decent amount of flashback to understand things, but you'll miss out on a lot of emphasis, such as certain traits Heat and Argilla have which are heavily supported by the story in DDS1.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 06:41:09 AM »

Digital Devil Saga 2 is nowhere near as effective without the character development portrayed in DDS1. The storyline of DDS1 might seem somewhat small once the series segways into the second game, but really, you need to experience it. The exposition helps tremendously.

It's entirely mandatory in my opinion.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »

My first SMT game was Nocturne. I loved it and had to check out the other games in the series. The DDS games came very close to Nocturne in my favorite games ever list.
When I saw the first screens and videos of P3 I was surprised by how different it was. But somehow it appealed to me and I gave it a shot. Right now P3 and P4 are in my top 3 favorite games ever.
I enjoyed Raidou and am looking forward to the sequel. Just read your review and I'm glad that the game is such a huge improvement over the first one.

Best series on the the best console ever. I think that says it all.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »

I was one of the most vocal MegaTentists back when I first started posting on RPGFan.  I used to be freaking obsessed with the series and had collected a lot of MegaTen games... which I later sold off to buy a bass amp.  

Revelations: Persona for Playstation was my initiation.  I actually disliked the game at first and was almost ready to trade it in for another game (I think it was Star Ocean 2) but circumstances didn't get me to the game shop so I decided to give Persona some more time... and I loved it.  

At some point, I owned the following and a few I still own:
Kyuyaku Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II, Shin Megami Tensei If..., Persona (US), Persona (import), Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (domestic and import), Persona 3 (domestic), Persona 4 (domestic) DemiKids Light, DemiKids Dark, the PS1 port of Devil Children Red Book and Black Book, Devil Summoner (for Saturn), Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers, Maken X (if it counts; first Dreamcast game I bought), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (domestic), Digital Devil Saga 1-2 (domestic), the Persona World Guidance artbook, a Persona 1 drama CD (where the main is named Yuuya Narumi as opposed to his manga/canon name of Naoya Toumou), Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army, Revelations: Demon Slayer (aka Last Bible)

MegaTen is an insanely prolific series.  I never got to try the Majin Tensei SRPGs.  I heard Rhonde was absolute garbage and considered the worst MegaTen game ever.  I was disappointed by DemiKids especially since its prequels (Red and Black book) were actually very good despite it being kiddie MegaTen.  Demon Slayer was pretty dull, but I've heard the other Last Bible games were good.  

I used to be a mod on a really good MegaTen forum, so I was surrounded by experts.  I left when everyone there started acting like elitist douchebags.  

MegaTen is still my favorite RPG series, but I'm not a fanboy any more.  I will say that the heavy use of Hindu mythology in the game actually improved communication between me and my parents.  I was a self-hating Indian as a kid and seeing Hindu stuff in a cool format made me want to ask questions about Hindu mythology and philosophy.

9/11/1987 was a great day.  Namco released Megami Tensei for the NES, based on the novel Digital Devil Story.  They released Megami Tensei II.  But years later, Atlus bought the rights to the series in 1990 (I think), released Shin Megami Tensei on the Super Famicom and the rest is history.  I'm afraid to think what would happen to the series had Namco kept it and not sold it to Atlus.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:49:04 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »

Like Dincrest, my first exposure was Revelations: Persona.

I'm not gonna lie. Despite the localization, I still loved the game. :P I still do want to see the original version though, and it looks like the PSP version is going to answer my plea. Eternal Punishment was also very enjoyable, but I still need to finish it. After playing Persona 3 and 4 though, I'm going to have a VERY hard time going back to the archaic-ass battle system of the older games. And it's going to be very hard for me to cope with random battles again (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK random battles).

I found in general, the Persona series holds my interest more than the other games do, simply because everything appeals to me more, in terms of character, setting, and styles of interaction. Doesn't mean I don't like the other games though.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 08:32:19 AM »

Digital Devil Saga 2 is nowhere near as effective without the character development portrayed in DDS1. The storyline of DDS1 might seem somewhat small once the series segways into the second game, but really, you need to experience it. The exposition helps tremendously.

It's entirely mandatory in my opinion.

I second that. Definitely.

It's hard to describe exactly what makes nocturne so great. I guess you really feel you're part of that world and that you can make a huge difference in it. And what a fascinating world it is. I replayed it recently and enjoyed it even more than the first time. I really like the wole concept.
Code:
At the beginning you're having a normal day with your friends and end up being one of the few survivors of the end of the world. Seing how those characters developed, the vision they had for the new world, the methods they used to aquire the power to accomplish it, the way you could shape your relation with them through the course of the game, choose sides or restore the world back to normal. or being mocked by the god of that world and deemed unworthy or just becoming the friggin' lord of the underworld taking lucifer's place, the way the game puts all of that into your own hands, is what makes it so great.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:41:35 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »

My first exposure was Persona Eternal Punishment, which I really enjoyed. So I was really psyched for Nocturne when I heard it was coming out.

Since then, I have managed to get a MegaTen game every year they come out for Xmas, because I was overseas at the time they came out.

(Excluding P4 which I bought myself :D ) So MegaTen is a bit of an Xmas tradition for me.

Next to Suikoden, it's easily my favourite RPG series.

And I agree with Sketch about DDS1.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »

I jumped on the bandwagon with P3. Since then, I've touched Nocturne and DDS1, and a little P4, but haven't had time to finish any of them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: