Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332868 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Megami Tensei Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Megami Tensei Topic  (Read 361344 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »

Eternal Punishment was also very enjoyable, but I still need to finish it. After playing Persona 3 and 4 though, I'm going to have a VERY hard time going back to the archaic-ass battle system of the older games. And it's going to be very hard for me to cope with random battles again (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK random battles).

Oh crap. You just reminded me that the US version of persona had the random encounter rate dropped quite a bit (somewhat lower than EPs, seemingly a LOT lower than IS'). and increased money you got after battles. Wonder if the PSP version'll go back to that :( Game was hard enough as is, and for the love of god more damn augustus trees or save anywhere.

Also, thirding it: Do not play DDS2 without DDS1. The story would make sense, but it wouldn't be very meaningful.

Nocturne's my favorite. I never actually beat it though. I got up to the last dungeon, and could beat it any time I wanted, but I guess, subconsciously, I just don't want it to end.

Though, I never DID do the Amala Network...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »

Oh crap. You just reminded me that the US version of persona had the random encounter rate dropped quite a bit (somewhat lower than EPs, seemingly a LOT lower than IS'). and increased money you got after battles. Wonder if the PSP version'll go back to that :( Game was hard enough as is, and for the love of god more damn augustus trees or save anywhere.

Why do people keep expecting Atlus to change anything in their games anymore?  Atlus was -so- embarassed by the P1 changes they almost didn't take the PSP remake on because it would remind people of how incredibly inept their first attempt at it was.  They're not going to change the encounter rate, the amount of money you get, or the skin color of any of the characters.

However, Atlus Japan is adding more savepoints to the game, because given it's portable status, you kind of need to have save points.

I tend to only be annoyed by how some people seemed to just want more and more Persona. Then again I don't think I've been hearing clamoring for a P5, so I guess most people just wanted a single encore. Or are still playing P4, whichever.

Go to the Atlus Forums, the board is swarming with 14 year olds who can't spell (or read, apparently) asking Atlus USA to PLZ MAKE P5 ON PS2.  I mean, I try not to be too judgemental on them because I was like that at one point myself, but it is -seriously- grating to hear it constantly, especially when the same poeple keep spouting it after we tell them why it's not going to happen.

On topic: My first Megaten game was Persona: Revelations, and it's a wonder I didn't compeltely axe the series after that.  Game did nothing for me at the time.  I think the next game I picked up was Nocturne, although Devil Summoner may have come first.  It was years ago, so it's a rather foggy timeframe for me.  I know I had initially shown interest in DDS and Nocturne when they first came out, but for some reason I passed on them and I've been kicking myself for it ever since.  Luckily, I managed to track down near-mint copies of both for relatively low prices after several online friends expounded the virtues of the games to me, so it all worked out.

I've played all the US released Megatens(Although Last Bible only in passing, and I haven't finished P1, P2, or Demikids), and I don't think I could pick a favorite game, as I like all of them for one reason or another.  Demikids and P1 are probably at the bottom of the list though.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »

Why do people keep expecting Atlus to change anything in their games anymore?

Because dropping the encounter rate was pretty inarguably a change for the better.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 02:46:15 PM »

Maybe so, but what about Atlus USA's recent track record would lead you to suspect they would change anything?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »

It's possible the balance and encounter rate are being changed in the port itself, making changing for localization a non-issue. Though watching videos of the PS1 and PSP battles it doesn't look like battles themselves are sped up.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »

You know, I've been playing Megaten games since Persona 2 and despite owning most of the titles that have been released since then...  I've never finished one.  In fact, most of them are just sitting around on shelves.  Just looking pretty.

I dunno, games rock, but I guess I just like the asthetics more.

GIANT.

DICKS.

Everywhere.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »

Giant dicks in chariots, even.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »

You know, I've been playing Megaten games since Persona 2 and despite owning most of the titles that have been released since then...  I've never finished one.  In fact, most of them are just sitting around on shelves.  Just looking pretty.

I was sort of the same way really until DDS1 came along. I got P1, P2, Demon Slayer, DemiKids, and Nocturne, yet I hadn't beat any of them. Nocturne was still fairly recent when DDS1 came out admittedly, but nevertheless when I got through DDS1&2 I started actually beating them. Of the PS2 games, only Devil Summoner and P4 haven't been beat, and both can be attributed more to being overshadowed by other games (or P4 just being that damn daunting).

Edit: Oh yeah! In regards to playing DDS2 without DDS1: Doable, but I highly advise against it. This isn't like skipping DQIV for DQV and only missing a few references, it's like skipping Fellowship of the Ring and heading straight to Two Towers. If anyone recommends just skipping DDS1 for any reason short of availability (not as valid now I believe), ignore them, they're out of their mind.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:30:19 PM by Eusis » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 05:29:25 PM »

I have both Persona 3 and Persona 4 sitting on shelves not beaten as well. I spent 30 hours on P4 and 40 hours on P3, but I just lost interest. I really like the games, but I don't think I'll ever finish them.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »

I get sick of seeing generic Japanese RPGs being shoveled out on a regular basis, which is why I hardly play the things anymore.  That's why I enjoy the SMT games so much; you can always count on them bringing fresh ideas to the table.  In fact, I'm playing Raidou vs. the Soulless Army right now so I can import its clear data to the sequel. :P

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 05:47:42 PM »

I got into the series from Nocturne. After that, I tracked down all the other US releases excluding Last Bible and Demi-Kids and had a blast with all of them. I really love the series and I have yet to play an RPG that I enjoyed as much as Digital Devil Saga.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 05:48:59 PM »

I have both Persona 3 and Persona 4 sitting on shelves not beaten as well. I spent 30 hours on P4 and 40 hours on P3, but I just lost interest. I really like the games, but I don't think I'll ever finish them.

Yeah, I agree.  I finished both but the regular story (and no sidequests) are pretty easily the longest two games I've ever played.

h yeah! In regards to playing DDS2 without DDS1: Doable, but I highly advise against it. This isn't like skipping DQIV for DQV and only missing a few references, it's like skipping Fellowship of the Ring and heading straight to Two Towers. If anyone recommends just skipping DDS1 for any reason short of availability (not as valid now I believe), ignore them, they're out of their mind.

I agree.  DDS2 is a better game in regards to skill system, but missing out on the first one is stupid to me.  I'd never be able to go back and play the first one after beating the second one (which sadly I never beat the final boss).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »

I get sick of seeing generic Japanese RPGs being shoveled out on a regular basis, which is why I hardly play the things anymore.  That's why I enjoy the SMT games so much; you can always count on them bringing fresh ideas to the table. 

And it never ceases to amaze me that MegaTen does that, especially since it's one of the most prolific JRPG series I can think of.  If I'm not mistaken there's more MegaTen than all of FF and DQ combined yet the former (MegaTen) remains fresh and sexy and the latter (FF and DQ) gets massive complaints for being "generic." 

Megami Tensei/Shin Megami Tensei, Majin Tensei, Devil Summoner, Persona, Devil Children/DemiKids, Digital Devil Saga, Last Bible, one-offs like Jack Bros. & Maken X... I'll tell ya, when I first learned about all the MegaTen that was out there beyond what I knew in Persona it made my head spin like Linda Blair in Exorcist.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »

GIANT.

DICKS.

Everywhere.

Does Mara have bufu skills? I think that'd be hilarious if you catch my drift.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »

No, he has Fire and is weak to Ice, generally.  Which is even funnier.

In P3:FES he had "Pierce" inheritance and skills along with the unique skill Maralagidyne, which is the best fire spell.  Oh, and Tetrakarn, because everyone should wear a rubber when thrusting everywhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: