Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:19:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Article - Best RPG of last generation... DQ8?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Article - Best RPG of last generation... DQ8?  (Read 5952 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »

I love a lot of games that are "universally" hated. PN03 is my favorite action game. Romancing SaGa is my favorite PS2 game. Wii Music is my favorite game of '08. My taste in games is pretty idiosyncratic.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

Yeah, DQVIII's battles are long compared to prior games, but they're still faster than a lot of other RPGs these days.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »

DQ8.  Is it a good game?  Yes.  Is it the super-ultra-sexy-second-coming-of-Lord-Zarathustra?  No.  It's a solid old-school RPG with new-school aesthetics. 

Personally, I found the game boring.  I could not get into it.  I can see why people like it though.  Then again, I've never been the biggest DQ fan.  My favorite DQ game is probably Rocket Slime.  Say what you will, that game was super fun. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »

Personally, I found the game boring.  I could not get into it.  I can see why people like it though.  Then again, I've never been the biggest DQ fan.  My favorite DQ game is probably Rocket Slime.  Say what you will, that game was super fun. 

And see, Rocket Slime was the only DQ I found really boring.  The stretch mechanic seemed really clunky to me and the game was ridiculously easy & simple.  Picture Zelda and take away all of the items & you have Rocket Slime.

On another note, this thread has been a real eye opener.  Even among fans of the same genre, there are drastically different opinions on what makes a good game.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 10:27:03 PM »

For those who haven't liked DQ besides VIII: it may be worth looking into DQIV/V on the DS. They're generally the fan favorites and have been updated to more modern standards, personally I couldn't really go back to the NES versions of I-IV, and the DS version of V is still preferable (and, ya know, professionally localized). We kind of got screwed there until recently, missing out on all the SNES releases and then our first main entry in nearly a decade was also one of the worst titles in the series.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »

It rox because nothing is more satisfying then seeing a King Metal Slime!!

It's so beloved because it's so..basic.  With all the new battle styles, DQ8 just goes right back to the roots, just with more console muscle behind it.  FF and DQ were the first real mainstream JRPGs (someone correct me if I'm wrong). 

Btw, I loved Radiata Stories except when you're forced to choose sides in the mid-game juncture.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »

DQ8.  Is it a good game?  Yes.  Is it the super-ultra-sexy-second-coming-of-Lord-Zarathustra?  No.  It's a solid old-school RPG with new-school aesthetics. 

Say it ain't so Mr. Old School.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »

I loved DQ8, except for two problems:

1) LLLLOOOOAAAADDDD TTTTIIIIMMMEEEEES - When I have to wait 10 seconds just to get to the menu screen, and then another 10secs to get to the item creation screen, there's a problem. Worst load times ever. Even worse than Suikoden V, and that's saying something.

2) Pacing - This would have been better had all the load times been a lot less; but the pacing, tied with the difficulty of the game, made it very boring and aggrivating for long stretches of time. I absolutely LOVED the towns and cutscenes, but there was far too much grinding involved. Some of the bosses took over 45 minutes, just in the first half of the game. Since you can't save anywhere except in towns and the overworld (could you save on the overworld? I forget). Going through a half-an-hour dungeon to fight a 45minute long boss battle and DIEING is not my idea of a good time.

That aside, the aesthetic was perfect. I loved the graphics, I LOVED the voice acting (my favorite voice acting to date), and I loved the control. But the game was so heavilly marred by timing issues (both micro and macro), that I never could bring myself to finish the game. I think I left off before I was supposed to fight some dead pirate ghost.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:56:44 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

I think people are a bit too spoiled on fast load times, or at least were. But this sounds more like either your PS2 or your copy is messed up because they've never been that long, I'm even pretty sure they're zippy compared to most other PS2 JRPGs. If you want truly bad load times, either play Morrowind (GotY at least) on the Xbox, or play the Yakuza 3 demo while downloading junk in the background. Both are cases where you wait several minutes to finish loading, which is especially bad for Morrowind since that doesn't have an easy solution to remedy the loads short of buying it on the PC, and I'm sure it wasn't coded efficiently since these damn loads cropped up whenever you loaded up a save game - even if you didn't go to a new area before loading.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »

I really don't remember long load times (or even much of any load times at all) so I'm going to echo Eusis and say that there has to be something seriously wrong with your PS2 or your copy of the game.  Also, if you're taking 45 minutes to beat bosses, you're doing it wrong; even the final boss of the game didn't take me anywhere near that much time.

And the game isn't particularly difficult as long as you're thorough.  If you explore the world well, not only do you not really need to do much of any grinding (since you'll get XP while exploring), but you'll also find extra treasure chests that can help you out.  Also, with the dungeons, it's often a good idea to plan two excursions: the first time through you grab all the treasures & learn the layout, the second time through you go straight to the boss so you can fight him at full strength.

Also, unlike Final Fantasy games, status effect spells, debuffs, and buffs are very useful in Dragon Quest games.  In fact, with the possible exception of the Shin Megami Tensei games, I can't think of another RPG series where the non-attack/non-healing magic is so useful.  Use them liberally and figure out which enemies are weak to what to drastically decrease the difficulty of encounters.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:10:19 PM by Robert Boyd » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »

It's worth keeping in mind that, especially in VIII, dying isn't a big deal outside of the early game (and that's at its most harmless in V). Not unless you completely fuck up depositing money anyway, there's a good chance you'll even wind up in a better position than before your death. Case in point: the Dhoulmagus fight.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 07:35:54 AM »

I've just loaded up my copy of DQVIII. It takes about 1 second to access the menu and about 2 or 3 seconds to access the alchemy pot, and that's on an old 2002 model PS2 that I've had to repair myself at least a few times.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 11:55:45 AM »

I played DQ8 on an slim PS2 and cannot remember any issues with loading times.

Back on topic...

DQ8 may not have excelled in any particular way, but it did everything it was supposed to do right. From the graphics to the mechanics, everything was smooth and worked well. Even the tiniest details received attention, like the movements of the main character while opening doors. You can tell that the game is very polished. The story is light-hearted and at times does not take itself seriously, which adds to the whole "simplistic" feel the game has.

Just my two cents.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »

DQ8 is one of my most favorite RPG's of all time, but I can see where people might not care for it.

One thing that the DQ series does very well is a great sense of adventure, exploration, and magic is wonderous. Most RPG's don't really have this feel anymore.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 03:04:17 AM »

am i the only one that didn't like DQVIII? it wasn't inherently bad but it was uninspired and boring. i mean take phantasy star 4,it has a similar battle system but i found it much more enjoyable than DQVIII.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: