Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 07:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340839 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Article - Best RPG of last generation... DQ8?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Article - Best RPG of last generation... DQ8?  (Read 6136 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »

No, you're not the only one - in the other thread discussing the BRPGotLG award, I am pretty sure there were a few people who said they didn't care for it.  On the other hand, there were people wrote in to say it was brilliant.  It's one of those games that some people like and some don't.  I bought it recently, but haven't played it yet, so I don't have an opinion.

(PS - no one calls it the BRPGotLG award - I just thought that'd be funny.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2009, 10:38:16 AM »

DQ8.  Is it a good game?  Yes.  Is it the super-ultra-sexy-second-coming-of-Lord-Zarathustra?  No.  It's a solid old-school RPG with new-school aesthetics. 

Personally, I found the game boring.  I could not get into it.  I can see why people like it though.  Then again, I've never been the biggest DQ fan.  My favorite DQ game is probably Rocket Slime.  Say what you will, that game was super fun. 

Say it ain't so Mr. Old School.

I'm sorry but it's so.  But then again, as I said before, Dragon Quest is one RPG series that doesn't seem to connect with me for some reason.  I know it's very hard to believe, especially since I like old-school almost as much as you do.  Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System is still a fresh and sexy RPG to me.  Gabriel Knight is still a fresh and sexy graphic adventure to me. 

Tooks- BRPGotLG is funny.  I'm like "burp got loogie?" 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:40:02 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sneexe

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »

DQ8? badass.  I was new to the series when i picked up 8 and although it didn't seem to have any flash or flair and the main character is mute (why do games do this? does anyone like a silent main guy?) I ablolutley could not put it down.  I don't know it gave me the same feeling i got when i first played FFVI.  Yeah man drop the money it'll be way worth it.

Also, I really like DQVII but i seem to get lost everytime I play it.  How can I get that lost in a game with such minimal graphics?

ENIX and SQUARE were better seperate. Deal with it.
seaechiowai
Soldier Nerd

Long live gaming.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »

Tooks- BRPGotLG is funny.  I'm like "burp got loogie?" 

I read that as "burp got large". Yall should have a burping icon for this award.
Act00

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »

I also didn't like it, because I found it very boring to play. But I'm also a youngster in this genre, so maybe that's problem too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: