Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334795 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Resident Evil 5...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Resident Evil 5...  (Read 20429 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »

yeah we should all just get along

give peace a chaaaaaaaaaaaance

You guys always take things too far. I didn't say there should be no arguing did I? I just said you should do it without taking personal shots at each other. Is that so hard to do?

Also, don't play objective-minded peacemaker. We've had this discussion at GameTrailers over MGS4.

The past is the past. Why dig it up so pointlessly? People change over time ya know...

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »

But hey, you like Baroque.

Absolutely no point in this whatsoever. People on this board need to learn how to argue opinions without taking personal shots on people. Of course, that would mean the big bad wolves would have to step down and treat the regular board members with respect, which I don't see happening.

If he's going to argue in favour of bad controls and demonstrate a lack of sensible judgement in game design, I'm going to take a shot.

Also, don't play objective-minded peacemaker. We've had this discussion at GameTrailers over MGS4.
No offense, Mark, but if we that's all we needed to take shots at people I could take shots at ... well, anyone.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2009, 11:25:40 PM »

You guys always take things too far. I didn't say there should be no arguing did I? I just said you should do it without taking personal shots at each other. Is that so hard to do?

yes

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »

UN FORASTERO!

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2009, 11:27:12 PM »

'fair nuff, Ash.

To make my stance pretty clear though: I don't believe Gen has perspective on game design, since he consistently defends poor choices. Ash pretty much hit the nail on the head with the whole attitude thing, and I don't really need to bring Baroque up again, so I won't.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »

There's a difference between "poor choices" and "choices you don't like".  A lot of Roguelike fans like Baroque, and a lot of RE series vets don't see a problem with the controls in 5.

If you're going to rag on me, rag on me for liking FFMQ more than FF7 or something.  That's something I'm fairly sure I'm alone in.

@Leyviur: The only time I remember directly insulting you was over a PM and I was trying to prove a point about how silly the insults you were levelling at ME were.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2009, 11:48:18 PM »

'fair nuff, Ash.

To make my stance pretty clear though: I don't believe Gen has perspective on game design, since he consistently defends poor choices. Ash pretty much hit the nail on the head with the whole attitude thing, and I don't really need to bring Baroque up again, so I won't.

Gen is a douche. I usually don't respond when he posts because he has a very "I am right, you are wrong" way of looking at things, even when it is the other persons opinion and they are able to back that with sound reasoning. Does him being a twat about the controls of RE5 surprise anyone?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »

I do want to provide another angle here now that I think about it: think of sports. There are limitations on what you can do to make the game challenging and/or fun, like not picking up and running with the ball in basketball or soccer. Similar logic could arguably be held to justify game decisions like remaining in place as you aim, a game pausing/not pausing as you access an inventory, or all the weird design choices Sting puts in their games. However, these rules work so long as they make sense with the rest of the game's design, and honestly I think RE5 manages to meet that qualification. I'll admit it isn't exactly ideal given how it's trying to follow the co-op model Gears of War established but doesn't quite do it, and games like Dead Space arguably follow the spirit of RE4 better. Nevertheless the game IS perfectly playable within these restrictions, if enemies behaved as if it were Gears of War or something then the game would truly be broken, but as Gen already pointed out that isn't the case. Personally, I don't really recall ever being angry with the controls in the game, so I'd place more blame on trying to half-ass following popular trends than sticking with somewhat outdated controls.

As for NOT designing well enough within the rules established, Scribblenauts is a great recent example. Remaining purely stylus driven means it's far too easy to jump to your death from messing up while dragging an item or not realizing how the game would react to your tap, and there really isn't much good reason to NOT allow me to use standard controls to run around and the touch screen for manipulating objects in the world. Similarly, and probably more relevant to RE here is Tomb Raider. This is going off hearsay and vague memories of playing old demos along with playing about a third of the original game, originally the controls were fine. They were clunky and are painful to return to nowadays, but the first game at least was more about methodical platform ala the Prince of Persia games, so it worked well enough. As the series progressed however a higher emphasis was placed on action from what I hear so the controls fell apart, and the design remained inflexible until Angel of Darkness was so bad that Core lost the series to Crystal Dynamics. While I can definitely see why it'd be offputting in RE5 it's not as if it's criminally bad design either.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »

Gen is a douche. I usually don't respond when he posts because he has a very "I am right, you are wrong" way of looking at things, even when it is the other persons opinion and they are able to back that with sound reasoning. Does him being a twat about the controls of RE5 surprise anyone?

Dude, what the hell.  Parn stated his case and I stated mine.  How the hell does that equate to me being a douche?

Anyways, once again Eusis steals my thunder and says what I was trying to say much more succinctly then could, so there you have it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:03:03 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:03 AM »

There's a difference between "poor choices" and "choices you don't like".  A lot of Roguelike fans like Baroque, and a lot of RE series vets don't see a problem with the controls in 5.

If you're going to rag on me, rag on me for liking FFMQ more than FF7 or something.  That's something I'm fairly sure I'm alone in.

@Leyviur: The only time I remember directly insulting you was over a PM and I was trying to prove a point about how silly the insults you were levelling at ME were.
Which is funny because that was the first time you posted and my insults were facetious at that point. You're so entrenched in this "I'm right" method of thinking and defensive of your opinion that your knee jerk reactions just fly by you without you noticing them.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »

How the hell does that equate to me being a douche?

It doesn't. They like to bring up past occurrences instead of trying to come up with reasons for their current statements.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2009, 12:28:07 AM »

I do want to provide another angle here now that I think about it: think of sports. There are limitations on what you can do to make the game challenging and/or fun, like not picking up and running with the ball in basketball or soccer. Similar logic could arguably be held to justify game decisions like remaining in place as you aim, a game pausing/not pausing as you access an inventory, or all the weird design choices Sting puts in their games. However, these rules work so long as they make sense with the rest of the game's design, and honestly I think RE5 manages to meet that qualification. I'll admit it isn't exactly ideal given how it's trying to follow the co-op model Gears of War established but doesn't quite do it, and games like Dead Space arguably follow the spirit of RE4 better. Nevertheless the game IS perfectly playable within these restrictions, if enemies behaved as if it were Gears of War or something then the game would truly be broken, but as Gen already pointed out that isn't the case. Personally, I don't really recall ever being angry with the controls in the game, so I'd place more blame on trying to half-ass following popular trends than sticking with somewhat outdated controls.

Using your sports analogy against you, the basketball folks see that soccer is becoming really popular, and decide to change aspects of the game to be more like soccer.  I'm supposed to be accepting of this half-assed soccer game just because its roots are originally embedded in basketball and somehow that excuses it?  It manages to not be soccer OR basketball and thus, becomes a half-assed attempt at both sports.  News flash: it sucks at both.

You and Gen's whole argument of course, seems to assume that you somehow can't have survival/horror with Gears of War style controls, or some other 3rd person shooter mechanic where you can move and shoot at the same time.  I of course, hold the belief that you most certainly can, as I explained in an example with the dark tunnel earlier.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 12:46:36 AM »

You and Gen's whole argument of course, seems to assume that you somehow can't have survival/horror with Gears of War style controls, or some other 3rd person shooter mechanic where you can move and shoot at the same time.

On the contrary, that's exactly why I've been saying Dead Space is a better successor to RE4 than RE5 was. Really though, to continue the sports analogy I think it's like making a basketball game that took notes from Soccer (perhaps other, more directly related sports are better here) and managing to make something that is playable and reasonably enjoyable. Problem is that despite being more than competent it really isn't as great as the other two sports; basically my argument here has really been less that RE5 is a great game and more that it isn't outright broken. It's a generally enjoyable, competent game that isn't fatally flawed, but doesn't match up to either its immediate predecessor or the games its trying to follow.

Edit: Actually, I have to admit I haven't played RE5 in co-op so I may have found it SUPER AMAZING if I did. But then I think turning what is traditionally a single player experience into multiplayer focused is generally a poor idea, especially when it isn't a particularly fresh angle and cheapens the rest of the game too much to make it work at all.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:10:06 AM by Eusis » Logged
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01:04 AM »

To be honest, RE5 didn't feel much REish (for me). I liked RE1-3 better.

Oh and co-op is alright, had fun with co-op but as a single player game... nah.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:16:02 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 01:05:22 AM »

Edit: Actually, I have to admit I haven't played RE5 in co-op so I may have found it SUPER AMAZING if I did. But then I think turning what is traditionally a single player experience into multiplayer focused is generally a poor idea, especially when it isn't a particularly fresh angle and cheapens the rest of the game too much to make it work at all.

It definitely made the game worse as a single player experience, but playing that game co-op with one of my best friends for 10 hours straight into the morning is the most fun I have had playing a game this year.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: